Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2014, 16:30   #586
BHPian
 
Prodigy07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 382
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Hi,

Can someone suggest a good Pioneer DVD headunit in the price range 12-16K ?
Prodigy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 02:00   #587
BHPian
 
Haroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jedda/Bangalore
Posts: 410
Thanked: 603 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Hi,

I am upgrading from a Swift to a Nissan Terrano XL Plus (the full option version in 85ps Diesel), which unfortunately does not have a DVD player.

I am not an in-car music freak, but just need to have a good entertainment system in the car at the relatively economical package. Ideally I am looking at the following 2 options:

OPTION-1
Is there a stand alone compact size DVD player (without monitor) that I can fix permanently somewhere and WIRE IT INTERNALLY to the head unit as well as the 2 headrest monitors (that I will replace from my old car).

IF THIS OPTION NOT AVAILABLE, ONLY THEN



OPTION-2

1. Upgrading(buying) to a music system (head unit) thats got a built in DVD player, Bluetooth, Aux/USB port & Monitor(possibly only for a reverse camera IN FUTURE)

2. Upgrading(buying) the 4 speakers on the 4 doors to some good branded OE-size 4-way speakers.

3. Adding a tweeter (I already have the old fashioned 200w Pioneer one with me)

4. Connect the 2 Headrest monitors to the head unit (already have those from my Swift)

-Is such a set up possible on the Nissan console?
-If so what are the specs of the head unit and 4-way speakers needed.
-Finally what budget am I looking at in India

I thank the gurus in advance for their time and kind advice.

Regards,
Haroon
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 17:28   #588
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 881
Thanked: 168 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Hello gurus,
I'm not sure if this is right section for my query, mods kindly move it to the correct section if so.
I have a 2012 Fiat Punto Emotion (top end). I was never happy with the stock sound system be it the sound quality or the features (lack of). So I upgraded the entire system to this:
Head unit: JVC KD-X50BT
Front components: Focal Performance series 165 AS 6.5"
Rear: Focal Integration series universal 6.5" coaxial
Amp: Powerbass 4 channel (2 channels for the front and 2 for the rears)

I earlier had Powerbass speakers and used it for quite a while but was not happy with them so changed them with Focal speakers. This set up is miles better but I am still not happy. I can't feel any bass whatsoever. Also after the installation the radio reception is very poor with lots of interference. This is suppose if due to different connector for the radio from the stock, so would appreciate help in getting this better too. The installer told me to get a woofer installed but I dont want to use up the boot space...

I somehow feel that the headunit is a weak link here. Can you please suggest a decent headunit? Since this is a Fiat, so 2 dins are out of question. Also with this rather modest setup a Pioneer P90RS or any such high end HU would not suit. I was thinking of Pioneer DEH-X6590BT.

Can you please help me improve the SQ of my setup?

Many thanks

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 7th December 2014 at 17:30.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 19:04   #589
Senior - BHPian
 
cooldude1988765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,004
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
. I can't feel any bass whatsoever.
You don't have any equipment that is made to produce bass IMO. If you don't want to get a subwoofer you could either get 6x9s on a plank or a pair of 6.5" woofers in the rear doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
. I somehow feel that the headunit is a weak link here. Can you please suggest a decent headunit? Since this is a Fiat, so 2 dins are out of question. Also with this rather modest setup a Pioneer P90RS or any such high end HU would not suit. I was thinking of Pioneer DEH-X6590BT.

Can you please help me improve the SQ of my setup?

Many thanks
I recommend you get 6x9s or 6.5" woofers before changing the HU. I think you mean the P80Prs which is about 24k if i remember correctly.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 19:27   #590
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 881
Thanked: 168 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I recommend you get 6x9s or 6.5" woofers before changing the HU. I think you mean the P80Prs which is about 24k if i remember correctly.
Yes p80rs that's the one i meant.
I get what you're saying but wouldn't the coaxials in the rear provide any bass?
My brother just picked up a new dzire zxi and it has a fairly decent bass.
Any ideas on how to improve the radio reception?

Thanks
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 14:46   #591
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,866 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
... wouldn't the coaxials in the rear provide any bass? ...
Yes the 6.5" coaxials in the doors will, but nothing as compared to 6x9 coaxials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
... Any ideas on how to improve the radio reception? ...
Get a better antenna - either an external retractable one (there is a wire to be connected to the HU that commands the antenna to expand out, or collapse), or a T-antenna behind the rear view mirror (between mirror and windshield).
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 14:51   #592
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,866 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Yes the 6.5" coaxials in the doors will, but nothing as compared to 6x9 coaxials.

Get a better antenna - either an external retractable one (there is a wire to be connected to the HU that commands the antenna to expand out, or collapse), or a T-antenna behind the rear view mirror (between mirror and windshield).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
... a pair of 6.5" woofers in the rear doors. ...
Err ... did you mean the kind that comes in lower end home theatre woofers? There are none commonly available for automotive use. @hiren.mistry already has 6.5" Focal coaxials in the doors - where will he mount additional drivers?
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 16:08   #593
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,065
Thanked: 1,994 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

I am based in Dubai and I am looking for a new double DIN head unit for my Lancer GT.

My basic priorities are:

* Should have USB port (that is sort of a given these days!)
* Should be able to link to my Note3 and stream Google Maps
* If possible, play YouTube videos as well (through my phone)

Is the above possible? Also, is there any way I can do this without losing my steering mounted controls?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 11:40   #594
Senior - BHPian
 
cooldude1988765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,004
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Err ... did you mean the kind that comes in lower end home theatre woofers? There are none commonly available for automotive use. @hiren.mistry already has 6.5" Focal coaxials in the doors - where will he mount additional drivers?
Yes I meant 6.5" woofers. There are some decent sounding ones out there if you look exodus anarchies for example. Should be able to get a pair for 10k if you search. For someone who is not to keen to spend hours tuning his system then 6x9s are the way to go undoubtedly

EDIT: For the focal coaxials tbhp classifieds . Even if he does get 6x9's i would definitely recommend removing the speakers in the rear door.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 21st December 2014 at 11:41.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 17:06   #595
BHPian
 
VintageSree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Nizamabad
Posts: 26
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hello guys,

I've decided to upgrade the ICE setup in my TATA Indigo CS TDI LX to commemorate 5 years of ownership. Want to spice up the drives for an anticipated ownership of further 5 years.

Need your help and advice.

My current setup:
HU: Pioneer DVH 3190UB
Front: JBL GT5-S204
Rear: JBL GTO947 (limited edition)

I'm not for replacing any of the stuff above unless absolutely necessary and only if such replacements add substantially to the equation of SQ. However, I'm open to adding stuff like an amp or a sub.

The problem with the current setup is the sound is dominated by the rear coaxials totally and hence the sound stage is from behind me. Here, bass is good but quality suffers.

If I shift the balance to the front, the quality of sound seems to improve a bit, but bass is not good.:(

Hey gurus, please suggest me what I can do to achieve maximum bang for the minimum buck.

Budget: not sure what would be the right amount, will 10-20k would suffice?

Last edited by VintageSree : 5th January 2015 at 17:32.
VintageSree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 20:25   #596
BHPian
 
599gto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 287
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I am based in Dubai and I am looking for a new double DIN head unit for my Lancer GT.

My basic priorities are:

* Should have USB port (that is sort of a given these days!)
* Should be able to link to my Note3 and stream Google Maps
* If possible, play YouTube videos as well (through my phone)

Is the above possible? Also, is there any way I can do this without losing my steering mounted controls?
Hi, raj_5004
1. USB port is a given these days, like you said, so no worries on that part.
2. Look for an HU with App Mirroring technology, that way whatever is on your phone's screen is displayed on the HU's screen. There are quite a lot of options these days from most manufacturers, Pioneer HUs being my choice.
3. See point number 2 !
4. Most modern day HUs are steering control ready or at max need an interface for the steering controls to work. Gone are the days when switching HUs meant losing the steering controls, and they are definitely a boon.

Being in Dubai, you should go in for an all out-all in ICE set up! Not only is equipment cheaper there, you get more options and neater installs as compared to India!
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 20:53   #597
BHPian
 
599gto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 287
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Hi,

I am upgrading from a Swift to a Nissan Terrano XL Plus (the full option version in 85ps Diesel), which unfortunately does not have a DVD player.

I am not an in-car music freak, but just need to have a good entertainment system in the car at the relatively economical package. Ideally I am looking at the following 2 options:

OPTION-1
A few options might be available, but all chinese stuff, no such offerings from reputed brands. I wouldn't take this route, but that's just my opinion!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
OPTION-2

1. Upgrading(buying) to a music system (head unit) thats got a built in DVD player, Bluetooth, Aux/USB port & Monitor(possibly only for a reverse camera IN FUTURE)

2. Upgrading(buying) the 4 speakers on the 4 doors to some good branded OE-size 4-way speakers.

3. Adding a tweeter (I already have the old fashioned 200w Pioneer one with me)

4. Connect the 2 Headrest monitors to the head unit (already have those from my Swift)

-Is such a set up possible on the Nissan console?
-If so what are the specs of the head unit and 4-way speakers needed.
-Finally what budget am I looking at in India

I thank the gurus in advance for their time and kind advice.

Regards,
Haroon
1. Lots of HUs available with all these features, prices starting at about 12-15 thousand rupees.

2. Since you said you're not too much of an ICE person, I suggest you go in for 2 pairs of decent 6 inch 2-way Co-axials, should suffice for your needs and will definitely be an improvement over your stock ICE when powered off an aftermarket HU. 4-5k for a pair of very good co-axials, from brands like Ground Zero, Hertz, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker. 3-3.5k will buy you a pair of JBLs. 6-7k will buy you a set of Focals.

*2-way speakers should suffice, as they cover a major part of audio frequencies and in this price range and segment, 3-ways and 4-ways are just marketing gimmickery!

3. Not needed at all. They are a thing of the past, and I still fail to find logic behind them ever being sold!

4. Most touch screen Head Units with DVD playback capability have one Video input and one or two video output options.
Reverse camera goes to the Video input, and the external screens are powered through the Video outputs!

Other points-

Any standard 2 DIN size touchscreen HU should be a neat fit on the Terrano's console.

I cant comment on the fitment of the headrest screens, for obvious reasons.

Price talk is the troublesome part of the ICE section, but still as mentioned above,

Roughly 15-20k for a good HU, depending on your feature requirements. For around 30k you can buy the Pioneer 8690 BT, which has everything one would want and then some, except crossover networks which you don't need.

10-14k for two pairs of co-axials, one pair for the front and another for the rear. Few thousands more would buy you a pair of components, but then they would demand an amplifier and complicate things.

3-5k for the HU bracket and harness and other installation knick knacks like spacer rings, wiring, crimps etc.
I will let you do the math!

Last edited by 599gto : 5th January 2015 at 20:57.
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 21:15   #598
BHPian
 
599gto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 287
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Head unit: JVC KD-X50BT
Front components: Focal Performance series 165 AS 6.5"
Rear: Focal Integration series universal 6.5" coaxial
Amp: Powerbass 4 channel (2 channels for the front and 2 for the rears)

Also after the installation the radio reception is very poor with lots of interference....
The installer told me to get a woofer installed but I dont want to use up the boot space...

I somehow feel that the headunit is a weak link here....

Can you please help me improve the SQ of my setup?
1. I don't see anything wrong with your set-up, just that this set up will not provide you with the bass your looking for. For real punch, thump, bang, whatever you call it, a Sub woofer is a must.
*please check the setting on the amplifier too, the frequency settings must be at full or all pass, i.e. HPF and LPF should be bypassed, that way the speakers will cover maximum frequencies and will reproduce whatever they can!
* Also, are your doors damped? Proper damping will let the Mids sound and kick better!

2. Changing the HU wont help either, your current JVC is a decent HU and I really don't think the Pioneer DEH-X6590BT will offer too much over the JVC X50BT. And you definitely don't need an 80 PRS in this set up.

3. Radio FM signals are not the best source of audio to judge a set up's SQ, radio will always sound bad no matter what equipment you plonk in, to properly judge a set up you need a minimum of 320 Kbps Mp3 music preferably ripped in a CD or a USB pen drive, that is if you are unable to source WAV and FLAC files.
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 23:56   #599
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 920
Thanked: 279 Times
Default

Guys came across Boston, any idea how is it? How is it compared to the likes of JBL, Focal, Rockford etc. They don't have HUs in their range though.
zulfi hansi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 10:00   #600
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,065
Thanked: 1,994 Times
Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Hi, raj_5004
1. USB port is a given these days, like you said, so no worries on that part.
2. Look for an HU with App Mirroring technology, that way whatever is on your phone's screen is displayed on the HU's screen. There are quite a lot of options these days from most manufacturers, Pioneer HUs being my choice.
3. See point number 2 !
4. Most modern day HUs are steering control ready or at max need an interface for the steering controls to work. Gone are the days when switching HUs meant losing the steering controls, and they are definitely a boon.

Being in Dubai, you should go in for an all out-all in ICE set up! Not only is equipment cheaper there, you get more options and neater installs as compared to India!
Hi, thank you for replying.

As mentioned here (Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)), I have already upgraded the HU.

The only thing which worries me right now is -

* The audio just does not feel right as before.
* Some rattling because of the bass, which was not there before.

With the older HU, the bass was pretty tight and crisp, now it is very boomy and all over the place!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3871 8th July 2017 16:10
Google SMS - An end to Ask me service ! Sahil Shifting gears 12 30th January 2008 00:05
The Newbie Thread: Things you were scared to ask vidvai Technical Stuff 30 17th August 2007 17:30
P-150 classic for sale .What can i ask for jango Motorbikes 1 31st March 2006 12:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks