Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 17th April 2015, 15:35   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
... 1) Thinking of installing the speaker in the stock factory location. But no idea what to do with the rest of the system. The midbass/crossover ...
Yes, the OE locations are good enough. Midbass (the 6.5" speaker) will go into the door location, but you have to use a 19mm thick MDF ring to mount it there. Installer should have the ring.

The crossover can go into the door, but make sure you insulate it. After connecting the wires, put the crossover in a ziplock bag, close the bag and tie a few rounds of electrical insulation tape to seal it. Mount it using a cable tie to the middle metal layer of the door, in a way that the end where the wires are coming out is pointing down.

Quote:
... 2) Are the stock factory location of tweeters good enough or would you suggest a different place (like the dash or somewhere on the A pillar) ...
The OE location of the tweeter (sail panel) is by far the best, and involves the least modifications.

[quote=Motormania;3687890]...
Quote:
... 3) Location of the amp - Previously it was placed in the Verna's boot. Should I do the same in the Swift as well? ...
Yes. Mount the amp on a plywood sheet, and mount it behind the back of the rear seat.

Quote:
... 4) What cables do I need for a good install in this phase? ...
1. A pair of RCA cables to connect the HU to amp
2. Speaker wires
3. Power and Earthing wires

You can either by a good kit, or buy them separately. For example, for power wires you can use Teflon-coated domestic wiring wires (2.5 sq.mm.) from Finolex or Havells - just make sure they are not fakes.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 09:51   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Eh? Haven't found anything lacking with my Alpine Class D amp. Very nice laid back sound with Kenwood x994 as the source.
To each his own. The internet is filled with never ending discussion on this subject.
From what I have personally noticed after upgrading to class AB from class D is that i find the music more warm and it sounds much better than the class D especially when there are guitars, keys, flutes etc. playing (instruments that are on the higher end of the audible frequency range). More natural if I may say. Class D sounded more clinical and kind of made the higher notes more electronic. It is actually very ironic that i prefer class AB since I almost entirely listen to electronic music.

Both amps made almost identical power. However the vast difference in cost of both amps might have something to do with the enhanced quality in sound (at least to me)
I guess I shouldn't open my mouth further on this subject till I get a high quality class D amp to swap the Class Ab that I currently have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anup25 View Post
Option 2

Get new front speakers, a DHC 4 channel hi-lo convertor, spacers and get my existing amplifier and woofer installed with them

Was wondering if its worth investing in
1] New speakers
2] Going for DHC 4 channel hi-lo convertor - what are the advantages

On a budget as well
Option 2 would be best to get a good sound stage. Stock speakers in most cases would be woefully under powered to keep up with the sub.

Hi-lo converter is a necessity to convert the hi level inputs from the stock head unit. If your amplifier has a high level input then you can do without this and save some money.
It has no other advantages that I am aware of.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th April 2015 at 08:42. Reason: Back to back posts.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 14:43   #648
BHPian

Current setup in my SX4

Head unit : Alpine CDE 233E
Front speakers : Infinity Reference 6500cx Components
Rear speakers : Infinity Reference 6502ix Co axials
Damping - Dynamat Lite, all 4 doors.

I am thinking of installing an amplifier to run all 4 speakers through it. I have no intention (as of yet) to install a subwoofer

There are too many brands out there, so experts please help me narrow down a few models, something that will go well with the current setup.

Alpine HU offers great SQ, so pairing it with an amp should really showcase the true capability of these speakers.

Thanks in advance.
Aston Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 09:27   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

1. A pair of RCA cables to connect the HU to amp
2. Speaker wires
3. Power and Earthing wires

You can either by a good kit, or buy them separately. For example, for power wires you can use Teflon-coated domestic wiring wires (2.5 sq.mm.) from Finolex or Havells - just make sure they are not fakes.
Thank you for the detailed response. Met one of the installers in my town yesterday. He insisted I need a line level convertor or two.
Additionally, the wiring kits that I have come across are Superboss, Konnects, Caliber Audio and Street Wires. I have never come across these brands before. He suggested to go for Street Wires kit.
However I am not sure of the quality or capability of these kits and these are the only ones available here.

Any inputs on the same?
Motormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 13:24   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
I am thinking of installing an amplifier to run all 4 speakers through it. Alpine HU offers great SQ, so pairing it with an amp should really showcase the true capability of these speakers.

Thanks in advance.
You are absolutely right, adding an Amplifier will improve the SQ to another level. By my experience "Infinity Kappa four" provides excellent SQ & gets my vote.
Mashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 09:16   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Current setup in my SX4

Head unit : Alpine CDE 233E

Front speakers : Infinity Reference 6500cx Components

Rear speakers : Infinity Reference 6502ix Co axials

Damping - Dynamat Lite, all 4 doors.

I am thinking of installing an amplifier to run all 4 speakers through it. I have no intention (as of yet) to install a subwoofer

There are too many brands out there, so experts please help me narrow down a few models, something that will go well with the current setup.

Alpine HU offers great SQ, so pairing it with an amp should really showcase the true capability of these speakers.

If you are in budget, I would suggest JBL GTO-804ez. It plays super clean and even experts can vouch for that.

The gain settings are simplified and all you need to do is to follow the manual instructions.

The reference can take some beating but this amp overpowers them which I think is cool.
sudeep.pandya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 15:41   #652
BHPian

Hey guys in need of ICE advice as last week I blew my 5year old Bull Audio subwoofer and searching for a replacement now.

Currently, I have the following setup

1. Kenwood 543u HU with 2 preouts
2. Kenwood M845 4 channel amplifier
3. Front- Bull Audio components
4. Rear- Bull Audio Subwoofer

So now looking for suggestions to replace existing sub. Additionally is it possible to add rear door speakers just as fillers because sometimes I feel that the sound is inadequate for those sitting in the rear. I understand that I would be losing Fader control due to 2 preouts but can the speakers be connected to the amp in parallel along with the components. Alternatively, can the rear be powered through the HU?

The subwoofers that I am considering are:
1. Infinity Reference 1260W
2. Polk Audio DB1240

Both are having 300W RMS while my amp generates 180W RMS. Would it be adequate? Which one would be a better choice considering that I am already having a sealed enclosure of my previous sub.

Rear speakers (if possible)
Infinity Reference Coaxials

Thanks in advance
~Ankush
coolaks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 21:15   #653
BHPian

Planning to buy an ICE with car play function for my friend. He is currently driving a Brio and is planing on upgrading the ICE. Any inputs (preferably those with navigation and as many gizmos as possible) costing south of 30,000 ? Car play compatibility is a must and He is not an audiophile 😉.Please suggest some good place to install it in south Kerala also. The car is already out of warranty and not worried about cutting the wires- he is ready to take the risk. Please give your valuable suggestions
shasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2015, 16:32   #654
BHPian

Help!

Installed a pair of Focal polyglass front components along with a JBL 4 channel amp, line convertor and the necessary wiring as suggested, in my Swift (stock HU).

However, I am facing engine whine/buzzing sound through the speaker! It is darn irritating and gave me a headache. Increases with the engine rpm. The installer suggests putting in a better line convertor as the only solution. The RCA and power cables were changed to check but didnt help matters. The grounds are all fine.

Does running the RCA and power cables on the same side of the car have anything to do with this? I am completely clueless how to eliminate this noise and could use some guidance here.
Motormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 00:06   #655
BHPian

Hello Gurus,
Need your expert suggestions on installing a sub woofer. Listing below what is my setup at present and what I want.

1. My car: Maruti Suzuki Alto LX(2004)

2. My current setup:
Head Unit: Sony Xplod CDX-GT484US
Front Speakers- Stock(came with the car when the Showroom guys installed a Maruti cassette player at the time of delivery)
Rear Speakers- Pioneer- TS A935

What I want- Planning to install a sub woofer which would create a tight bass. Want something which will be a pleasure for the ears to hear. And also want the bass to be heard by people outside the car. I'm on a very tight budget. I can spend at most 10k on the subwoofer including wiring and amp. Which would be the best subwoofer, amplifier and wire according to you in this budget which will fulfill my desire?

Regards,
Swapnil
Swapnil_Alto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 06:28   #656
Senior - BHPian

tight bass, loud and cheap is not going to happen - you'll have to compromise on one.

if tight is not a priority, pick up a bass tube - they are loud and cheap
If cheap is not a priority, blow your money on a megawatts mono amp and a monster sub
if loud is not a priority, then the conventional route of amp + boxed sub, probably the second hand route to fit your budget, maybe sealed box if you want it really tight, and are okay to make it even less loud
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 09:40   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Help!

However, I am facing engine whine/buzzing sound through the speaker! It is darn irritating and gave me a headache. Increases with the engine rpm. The installer suggests putting in a better line convertor as the only solution. The RCA and power cables were changed to check but didnt help matters. The grounds are all fine.

Does running the RCA and power cables on the same side of the car have anything to do with this? I am completely clueless how to eliminate this noise and could use some guidance here.
Try reducing the gains on the hi low as well as the amp.

Actually if you can start retuning the system from scratch.
Step 1: Reduce gains on line converter and amp to 0. (disable Bass boost, keep HPF between 60-80hz on the speaker side and LPF at the same frequency as the hpf for the sub side)
Step 2: Set your volume on the HU to 70% of max volume. Make all other settings flat such as eq loudness etc. Keep fader a couple of notches to the front. Also play your favorite track.
Step3: Increase the gains on the Hi-low converter to around 30-35% of max output. Remember the amp is still at 0 you are more than likely that you would not hear much.
Step 4: Increase the gain on the amp for the speakers to a volume where there is no jar and hiss from the speakers.
Step 5: Slowly increase the gains on the sub side of the amp to match the fronts.

If the above procedure doesn't work then try rereouting the power cables from a different side to the rcas.
An aftermarket HU would be the best bet IMO. It definitely worked for me.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 22:38   #658
Senior - BHPian

Hi all

I just changed the oe system to pioneer 279bt few hours ago in my ertiga,i am shocked with the kind of touch sensitive ness This one has, i tried ca liberating the settings too but it absolutely pathetic. I have to keep pressing the screen n number of times.

Please let me a solution, or can you suggest a system within 18k budget. I don't mind even a blaupunkt,I just need a good stereo I can forgo Bluetooth for great touch interface.
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 14:38   #659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolaks7 View Post
... Alternatively, can the rear be powered through the HU? ...
Yes, of course you can. You will need to tune the system so that the rears seem slightly less loud than the fronts. Infinity Ref coaxials are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolaks7 View Post
... The subwoofers that I am considering are:
1. Infinity Reference 1260W
2. Polk Audio DB1240 ...
Either will do, but are you sure your Bull subwoofer is bust? How did you check?

Forget the wattage numbers. In normal listening, the sub needs 40-100W RMS depending on the music passage.

* The sub wattage is a number beyond which it is likely to go bust. It is not a wattage that it needs always. If 300W is actually flowing through the sub, it is quite likely to make a slap-slap sound which you can make out

* The amp wattage is a number beyond which it distorts sound, which your ears will detect before the amp goes bust

Quote:
... I am facing engine whine/buzzing sound through the speaker! ... Does running the RCA and power cables on the same side of the car have anything to do with this? ...
Yes, that is one of the reasons of alternator whine. The others are
* RCA cables with sparse shielding,
* faulty earthing of RCA sockets on HU side (used to affect Pio HUs), and
* faulty amp earthing.

Please run the power wires under the door sill, and the RCA along the central spline. No harm in redoing the amp earthing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
... I have to keep pressing the screen n number of times. ...
Are you talking of inefficient menu navigation, or bad touch response of the touchscreen? If the latter, the problem is likely to be dry finger tips. Try moistening your finger by blowing on it (open mouthed blowing).

Hope your HU doesn't have a resistive touchscreen (check the manual). In that case, try touching with your nail.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 16:46   #660
BHPian

Hi All.

I have recently acquired an Alto K10 AMT and the stock setup includes a head unit (NC67PO, which I think is Nippon) and speakers in the front doors. I am planning to install a pair of 6x9 coaxial speakers in the rear using a wooden plank. I have shortlisted the following models and I need your help in choosing the right one which will be more suited with the stock head unit to give best sound quality. They cost within my budget between Rs2500 to Rs4500 online.

I want quality output and reasonable bass. I always listen to music when driving and I don't listen with high volume.

1.Pioneer TSA935- 400W, 60W nominal, 4ohms
2.Pioneer TS935H- 500W, 90W nominal, 4ohms
3.JBL CXS697- 400W, 100Wrms, 4ohms
4.JBL GTO950SI- 500W, 125Wrms, 2ohms
5.Infinity Kappa 693.11i- 330W, 110W power handling, 2ohms

Or please suggest a better product to suit the head unit.

Is it advisable to buy online because the retail shop quotes approx Rs1000 more and how to identify the original product?

Thanks.
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote