Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 21st August 2007, 20:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
hi,

After lot of research and feedback from bhpians I have decided to go with pioneer P-880 HU. But havent been able to find a set of speakers. I was seriously contemplating on 'DLS' but it wont be a nice idea to have it without audition . Had heard that blaunpunkt has a very sweet and laid back kind of sound ( which i am in search of) , especially its 'velocity' range.

Went to a shop in tvpm, but they are reluctant to offer an audition. So would like to have your opinion on blaunpunkt s' 'velocity' speakers.
Which shop in Tvm told you about Hertz or DLS??? Would love to give them a visit.

If you are going in for serious ICE upgrade please get it done by a good installer.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 22:13   #17
BANNED

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post

Comps? Seriously??
Type R components (the latest one which came after mid 2006) are not good. They came as a shock and made many think twice about the brand Alpine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Which shop in Tvm told you about Hertz or DLS??? Would love to give them a visit.

If you are going in for serious ICE upgrade please get it done by a good installer.
Yes! I am interested in giving them a visit too. And as Jk told, get it installed by a good installer. As far as I know, a professional install is very hard to achieve in Trivandrum.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 09:53   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Type R components (the latest one which came after mid 2006) are not good. They came as a shock and made many think twice about the brand Alpine..
I heard Type R around mid 2004 when I got my Skoda. Maybe like Velocity they have changed for the worse - i dont understand this - Alpine removes TA, Blau and Alpine then mess with perfectly good speakers (Velocity and Type R), why?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 11:22   #19
BANNED

Shall we call it some sort of mass production/mass profit jamboree?

Type R speakers have failed to make a good impression after 2005. Till then, they were some awesome stuff. Now, they too have gone with some funky looks etc.. The Type X has changed and even the mighty F1 status has changed It's clean looks this year. Haven't listened to these after 2005 though.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 11:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I heard Type R around mid 2004 when I got my Skoda. Maybe like Velocity they have changed for the worse - i dont understand this - Alpine removes TA, Blau and Alpine then mess with perfectly good speakers (Velocity and Type R), why?
No wonder then. My friend says he feels like his ears are bleeding when he turns the system on. Uses Alpine source and amplification, by the way.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:40   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
No wonder then. My friend says he feels like his ears are bleeding when he turns the system on. Uses Alpine source and amplification, by the way.
For some reason Alpine's 9856.57 HUs were not as nice as their 9835. I dont know why but I'm thold that the new 9885 is better.

We have seen this quite often. Brands losinig their sheen and then making a come back. B&T you must remember (Saul) Marantz, (Avery) Fisher, etc... in the 80's (before Philips took over) Marantz was a mess (even today it is not in the same leaague it was when Saul was in charge). Fisher never recovered.
Old 22nd August 2007, 14:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
For some reason Alpine's 9856.57 HUs were not as nice as their 9835. I dont know why but I'm thold that the new 9885 is better.
Lets get this straight, the Alpine R-types were NEVER laid back. Not by a long shot. Driven was once the largest dealer for Alpine in North India and he used to install 8-10 pairs of R-types a month. This was around 2004 IIRC. We were around all the time and have heard / used them at length. They used to cause ear bleeds and we would refuse to sit in one of the cars with these speakers.

In in our experience the 9856/57 sound better than the 9835. The 9835 had way more features but sounds bright. The 9857 by comparison is a simple unit with great display, build quality and sound. The NEW 9887 has 24Bit Burr Brown deployed for the first in a mainstream Alpine model, and initial reports are good.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 16:52   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Lets get this straight, the Alpine R-types were NEVER laid back.
In in our experience the 9856/57 sound better than the 9835..
I heard the Blau velocity and Alpine Type R in my car when I first got the car (2004). Neither satisfied me but I dont remember the Alpines are being forward. The HU used was a 9833 and amp used was a home made 35W rms x 4.