Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 2nd September 2008, 12:49   #151
Senior - BHPian

Thats nice to know, you are really moving on to the professional zone of installers
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:51   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Finolex has 196 strands, Lightning Audio 1862 strands. I believe flexibility is directly proportional to number of strands.
flexibility is proportional to the number of strands, the diameter of the strands but is primarily determined by the flexibility of the jacket and insulation.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:28   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of getting a separate amp for my sub. The 2 Ohm voice coils are connected in series to show 4 Ohm. What would the pros & cons of the following options be?
Class AB Mono amp
Class D Mono amp
Bridged 2 channel class AB amp
Bridged 2 channel class FD amp
Thanks in advance.
nura
I believe you have got a Audison 5 channel amp. So why do you require a mono? If you go for a mono with the current amplifier, I think the fifth channel in the current amp would be wasted.

I am using Eclipse XA1000 Class D Mono amp with IDQ V2.D2 sub. I am happy with the result.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 15:52   #154
BHPian

I saw MX OFC speaker wires in SP road.Any body used it? have good price tag 12,14,16 gauge at 75,55,40Rs respectively.
mohang_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 16:40   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
I saw MX OFC speaker wires in SP road.Any body used it? have good price tag 12,14,16 gauge at 75,55,40Rs respectively.
MX cables are Total VFM and are much better than chinese crap.

this is what i have heard.

If you are not going to big brands then MX should be your best bet
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 17:01   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I believe you have got a Audison 5 channel amp. So why do you require a mono? If you go for a mono with the current amplifier, I think the fifth channel in the current amp would be wasted.

I am using Eclipse XA1000 Class D Mono amp with IDQ V2.D2 sub. I am happy with the result.
I am using the SRx5 in 3-channel mode. It is putting out 150W x 2 (front components) + 180W x 1 (sub) @ 13.8 V. I am looking to feed about 300W to the sub.
Your Eclipse XA 1000 is putting out 320W x 1. So you have good reason to be happy
You are right. After installing the new amp, the sub channel on the old one will go to waste.
nura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 17:22   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
MX cables are Total VFM and are much better than chinese crap.
what about Belden brand was about the same price.
mohang_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 14:02   #158
BHPian

I have recently purchased an Audison LRx 1.400 amplifier & will certainly request the Gurus for advice on its installation very soon.
At the moment, though, my system seems to have developed a problem & I am not sure how I should deal with it. This is what is happening.
For several weeks now, I have been hearing a faint scratching sound from the left speaker(s), when I blow the car horn. It doesn't happen everytime I blow the horn, only sometimes. The scratching sound is so faint that I sometimes wonder if I am imagining it. However a few days ago I was alarmed when I found that when I turned on my system, the music was coming only from the right side speakers. I have 3-way components in front & a sub in the hatch of my Santro, no rear speakers & the sub is at present switched off. I reversed the front speaker wires at the amp end & found that the music now came from the left side only.
I would have liked to reverse the RCA cables at the amp end & then at the HU end to try & diagnose where the problem lay, but as I was getting late for office & the sun was beating down pretty fiercely, I decided to postpone my experimenting till the evening. I restored the speaker wires to their original position on the amp & again switched on my system, half hoping that my tinkering may have solved the problem, but no such luck. The music continued to come from the right side only. I was therefore more than a little surprised when I found the left side speakers springing back to life after I had driven a couple of kilometers. What is equally surprising is the fact that the problem has not recurred after that. However the scratching sound from left side speaker(s) on blowing the horn is continuing. I am now wondering if the two problems are inter-related & what I should do to get rid of the defect. Any help will be sincerely appreciated.
nura.
Old 16th February 2009, 10:34   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
what about Belden brand was about the same price.
Belden aint cheap anymore - not as cheap as MX atleast. Sommer is a good VFM alternate for speaker cable.
Old 16th February 2009, 23:05   #160
BHPian

I just remembered something. Not sure if it is pertinent. In anticipation of the arrival of the LRx 1.400, I had run a 4 AWG Finolex cable from the engine compartment to the hatch, a few weeks ago. The rear end of this cable is resting on the carpet in the hatch, with the rubber mat hiding it from view. The front end has been tied to the old power cable in the engine compartment with a piece of string. I will check tomorrow if the exposed wire is touching the car body somewhere.
Can this cable be the cause of the scratchy sound from the speaker(s), when the horn is being blown?
nura.
Old 16th February 2009, 23:13   #161
Senior - BHPian

I remember a Kochi member who had a similar issue with the horn causing clicking sound in the speakers. The problem disappeared when he replaced the horn relay.

The problem will most likely have to do with wiring itself.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 09:52   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The front end has been tied to the old power cable in the engine compartment with a piece of string. I will check tomorrow if the exposed wire is touching the car body somewhere.
Now you tell us! :-) Yes please check this wire ASAP.
Old 17th February 2009, 12:28   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Can this cable be the cause of the scratchy sound from the speaker(s), when the horn is being blown? ...
No. If the exposed end is really touching the body, most likely you will see a puff of smoke either in front of you or behind you. On the other hand, an unterminated cable of that length (6m or more) is likely to perform very well as an antenna, picking up the electrical noise from the horn / relay and injecting it into the 12V line!

Better disconnect the line at the battery end also. In case the faint scratching sound is still around, put a small value capacitor from horn contact to ground.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 00:28   #164
BHPian

Thanks Hydrashok, navin & DerAlte for your suggestions. The Finolex cable really is unterminated. It isn't attached to the battery in front & it isn't attached to anything at the back either. Neither end is touching the body. So, is the cable the cause, then? What a relief!
Is there a fair chance, that when I install the new amp & terminate the Finolex cable, the scratchy sound will disappear?
However, am I risking speaker damage, when blowing the horn in the present situation?
Thanks once again.
nura.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:21   #165
Senior - BHPian

If it is unterminated at both ends, it is not participating electrically in the system at all - so no worries.

There is a fair chance that if you concentrate on enjoying the music (till you put in the new amp) you will not notice the scratching sound. And no, the scratching sound will not harm your speakers.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote