Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 18th February 2009, 10:21   #166
Senior - BHPian

I think it is a little dirt in the amp switches which sometimes causes this type of interference. Try cleaning/fiddle with the amp/switches and then check.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:42   #167
BHPian

I have not been able to install the mono amp as yet so the 2nd power cable remains unterminated. Today while I was listening to a CD, I happened to blow the horn & the music stopped for a few seconds & then restarted but not from the same spot. It went to the beginning of the song!
Did this also happen because of the unterminated wire acting as an antenna or is there some other problem somewhere?
Looking forward to your replies,
nura.
nura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:18   #168
Senior - BHPian

Doc, I think your ICE is hinting that you get that new car you were talking about
Seriously though, I think you should get your wiring checked once, starting with the horn.
Then try a process of elimination - connect each ICE component one by one to see if any of their wires is the culprit. I know this sounds very rudimentary, but it helped me sort out some wiring issues in my car.
We should catch up sometime - would love to see/hear the new mono.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 09:45   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
I have not been able to install the mono amp as yet so the 2nd power cable remains unterminated. Today while I was listening to a CD, I happened to blow the horn & the music stopped for a few seconds & then restarted but not from the same spot. It went to the beginning of the song!
This suggests that the issue could be with the HU (or the wiring harness behind the HU) and not with anything else. Even if the power had got cut off from the HU for some reason, the song should have resumed from the spot where it stopped (when the HU restarted). If it restarted from the beginning, there must be something wrong at the HU end,or with the wiring harness behind the HU.

Would you be able to try removing the HU, pulling the harness off and snapping it back in, and then listening to music? If that doesn't solve the issue, will you be able to try with another HU, just to see if the problem disappears?
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 15:10   #170
BHPian

Thanks razor4077 & hydrashok for your suggestions. My harness is indeed a weak link as its wires are pretty flimsy. Are there any branded wiring harnesses available & how much would they cost? Someone told me that the harness for the Santro Zip Plus is different from the Santro Xing. Is this true?
Where in Kolkata should I look for a good harness for my car?
I am hoping to get my new amp installed on Holi day.
Thanks in advance.
Old 7th March 2009, 19:17   #171
Senior - BHPian

Harness flimsy? Nah, 'tagda' wires and connectors would be an overkill for the current that flows for the signals. The culprits for most problems is normally a bad/loose contact or an improperly mated connector.

If the problem is not occurring frequently, don't think of making changes. Just check for loose connections.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 23:28   #172
BHPian

Thanks, DerAlte. Yes, I'll probably not do anything till the mono amp is installed. Let us see what happens after that.
Just for my information, though, how much does a wiring harness cost these days? I paid 100 bucks for mine, 6 years ago.
nura.
Old 8th March 2009, 10:11   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Thanks razor4077 & hydrashok for your suggestions. My harness is indeed a weak link as its wires are pretty flimsy. Are there any branded wiring harnesses available & how much would they cost? Someone told me that the harness for the Santro Zip Plus is different from the Santro Xing. Is this true?
Where in Kolkata should I look for a good harness for my car?
I am hoping to get my new amp installed on Holi day.
Thanks in advance.
Blaupunkt has a very nice harness for Santro for about Rs 400. Contact your nearest Blau dealer.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 13:31   #174
BHPian

Thanks, Gunbir. I had checked with the Blaupunkt distributor in Kolkata some time ago. At that time he had the Xing harness but not the Zip Plus one. I will check again. Maybe I can place an order.
Old 8th March 2009, 13:35   #175
BHPian

My JVC headunit used to have the same problem,i.e whenever the horn is used the whole HU restarts , first we thought the problem could be with the wiring harness,but later we traced it back to the HU itself,so got rid of and got myself a pioneer 5650.
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 22:26   #176
BHPian

That's rather scary, but thanks, muneemmk, for sharing your experience.
Old 11th March 2009, 14:57   #177
BHPian

A very happy Holi to everyone. I utilized the holiday to install the mono amp in the morning. I don't know if the horn-related problem is solved or not, since I haven't taken the car out of the garage. But the sub is, certainly, sounding a lot better.
Old 27th March 2009, 23:46   #178
BHPian

Just wanted to report that, after installing the mono amp, the horn-related noise disappeared completely.
The sub is sounding really good now. As of now, it's wired to show 4 Ohms but just to satisfy my curiosity, one of these days I'm going to wire it to show 1 Ohm & see what happens.
I don't suppose I could do anything with the following.
One pair of free preouts (rear) on the HU
One pair of RCA cables
One free channel (sub) on the old amp
Thanks, all, for your help.
Old 27th May 2009, 20:06   #179
BHPian

I was thinking of a small upgrade to my ICE and didn't want to start a new thread so querying here.

My present setup is
Pioneer DEH-P5050UB
Hertz 6.5 Componets (front, think it is DSK 165)
Hertz DCX 690 Co-Axs (Rear)

Though I am mightily pleased with the sound I would like to add a lil more to it. I was thinking of adding a sub but something underseat 'cos I don't wan to loose any of the boot space.

I did a lot of searching here and came up with Hertz ES 250.
Is it good ?
Can it go under seat ?
What should be the box dimension ?
Vented or Sealed ?
Which amp can go with it ?

If someone can recommend something that is less costing but equally good it would be so welcome.
jobinjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 21:18   #180
BHPian

I had sent the car to the workshop to sort out a knocking problem. I had removed the sub from the vehicle to give the mechanics access to the fuel-pump. They replaced the air and fuel filters, cleaned the fuel-pump & did an engine tune-up. The knocking is gone but when I re-connected the sub & switched on the HU, the display came on but there was no sound from any of the speakers. The display showed the name of the 1st track on the CD (car had gone to workshop with CD inside HU) but track play time stayed at 0.
I ejected the CD and re-inserted it. Normally the HU comes on when I do this, but it did not and I had to start it manually. Same result, no sound, display ok, track play time remains stuck at 0.
I switched to radio and was relieved to hear the system start playing normally. I switched back to CD and the CD started playing normally too.
I am left wondering what could have wrong temporarily and how I can prevent this from recurring. I have removed the sub each time the car went for a service but never faced this problem.
My thanks in advance for your replies.