Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 22nd August 2007, 10:01   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Honestly Navin, I have never even heard of these names.
I have to travel to Singapore just to hear drivers such as these. That too via appointment and invitation.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:02   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Would that be at Adelphi, navin?
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:06   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Would that be at Adelphi, navin?
and a place oposite Sim Lim. They have a trove of tubes, Augies, Lowthers, Fostex etc. there. it helps that my BIL (who lives there) is just as audio mad as I am and is on a first name basis with many of these guys. I get my OPTs from Sing too.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 22:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
and a place oposite Sim Lim. They have a trove of tubes, Augies, Lowthers, Fostex etc. there. it helps that my BIL (who lives there) is just as audio mad as I am and is on a first name basis with many of these guys. I get my OPTs from Sing too.
Navin, I envy you..cant be more discreet!:
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 22:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

But, what's with this prejudice? Aren't we being conceited here? A lot of people like Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Bose, ... Is there a criteria that should fail these brands from being acceptable / successful? For every person who says they are c**p, there are a 100 others saying otherwise.

If you see the revenues earned by Sony (by whatever strategy) as compared to the others, one would find it difficult to believe they are bad. Ditto Bose. Nothing becomes better by using esoteric terminology, citing awards or having a fan/cult following.

In the end the end-users are able to discriminate according to personal taste. There are as many who subscribe to BOOM at the lowest price, as there are who believe that any less than 6-digit INR ICE is something that they shouldn't be seen in the company of.

Easy to make comments - there are very very few souls who will have the courage to take a controlled blind test. And a lot who would lack the courage to admit that they can't.

Very well spoken sir, I understand now why you are distinguished. A very mature, impartial observation about modern reality. Damn, i don't know how I missed this thread for so long.
Most people who comment about these kind of topics seem to have a preconceived notion or just do not know what they are talking about, excepting very few who really know what they are talking about. I bow to them & to you Sir.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 23:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro View Post
I had been to this place called Metal Effects in Chennai. Mr. Charles who runs the place is known for his fibreglass mould work etc. I met up with him today for inputs on my car audio upgrade. He did not even take a second to listen to my Infinity comp/oval setup and outrightly says nah! not good and tells me
"The key for good sound quality is the way its installed" no matter what speakers or subs you use.

I asked him what speaker/sub components would he recommend and he tells me again it can be anything and guarantees good installation would bring out good sound out of any speakers and that it really does not matter if its an Infinity or a Hertz etc etc.... He also ridiculed(a big NO) to Dynamat.

He asked me to wait for a minute and gave me a demo of his setup on an Innova, it had a Pioneer headunit, Pioneer components on a kick panel for both front and rear door placement. He played my CDs and sounded, ahem! BAD. I still felt my current setup in my car sounded a lot better.

I had nothing more to ask him, thought I share this story with everyone here and know what you guys have to say about this.
My experience : I spoke to an installer in Mumbai. I refrain from naming him, as it was suggested to me by a fellow member.

I basically wanted to get prices for Pio 5050 + amp + component speakers. He initially started off by recommending JBLs, which is obvious, given the brand's widespread popularity and VFM. However, I told him that I am contemplating on Illusions Electra or Hertz; and mating them with Kenwood 8401 amp. I also mentioned that rear speakers are not important for me as I am driving all the time. Then came the super stunning answer:

His words were "Sirjee, why are you wasting money on 'high end components' like Illusions or Hertz; on 'such a small car like Getz'?

I would recommend going for Pio coaxials in front (INR 1850 for the top end model) and Pio 6x9 for rear (INR 2000). Mate that with Pio HU and you got awesome sound for less than 7K.

And as regards Kenwood 8401 amplifier, it is utter crap. Noboday in Mumbai would/should recommend it due to its bad performance and design.

You dont need an amplifier or a sub, unless you drive a high end car"

(which according to him were all cars above INR 7L mark)

I wish he was a member at TBHP and that too, an active contributor in the ICE section. Maybe that would have saved a lot of money which members have spent on getting components, amps and subs. (Ran out of smiley limit, desperately wanted to put one here !!)
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 11:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I wish he was a member at TBHP and that too, an active contributor in the ICE section. Maybe that would have saved a lot of money which members have spent on getting components, amps and subs. (Ran out of smiley limit, desperately wanted to put one here !!)
this is two much. (jaise ek mayan mein dho thalwar??? - two swords in one sheath)

i have a similar story, an installer once told that he can power a 12" JBL Tube directly with my Pio DEH7450 HU. (he was actually refering to the pin which was supposed to be connected to an amp, what is it called as.... pre-amp??)
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote