Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 20th August 2007, 02:02   #1
BHPian

Default Does a 3rd party install void the original Car Manufacturer's Warranty?

For my new Estilo the Maruti guys are desperately trying to sell my some really awful Sony systems. One of their sales pitches was that getting an ICE system installed from anyone other than Maruti will void the warranty for the whole car!! I am assuming this is glib talk and marketing bull****, but want to confirm this here, because if this is true it means that I won't be going for an ICE at all!!

Last edited by vebmetal : 20th August 2007 at 02:03.
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 02:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

It's marketing bullcrap.

To be safe, cut no wires on the original wiring harness. Get a wiring harness, fit a stereo of your choice and enjoy.

Remember to use protection.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 09:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
One of their sales pitches was that getting an ICE system installed from anyone other than Maruti will void the warranty for the whole car!!
If they so insist, buy what you want from the market & ask the maruti chaps to install it free of cost without voiding the warranty. Or pay a marginal amount for installation.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 10:46   #4
Team-BHP Support

You can always go to another dealer to resolve warranty issues and say XXX dealer fitted it. As the accessory shop is merely a shop within and not part of the dealer (i.e the Owners buddy) and not always provides proper paperwork, you should be okay.

Besides if Maruti want to reduce potential issues, they should provide a system rather than keeping it open for a thrid party to add a system in
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 10:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

I had checked with Maruti some time back. The dealer clarified that you can bring them any stereo and they will fit it. The catch was that you must get in installed by an authorised dealer only. However, it is not mandatory that you buy it from them.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 11:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

I bought music system elements for my Swift from the outside market and then got them installed at an authorised dealer workshop. Needless to say, their installation costs are higher than those elsewhere, and probably not as good a job too. But next time they want to blame my stereo for any electrical issues, I will have proof to stick into their faces.

Also, some dealers will cry foul when you want to install equipment you bought from outside, such as Spectra Motors in Mumbai. Their prices are quite exorbitant.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 02:28   #7
BHPian

Thanks all for the feedback! Two questions:

#1) How much would Maruti charge for an install?
#2) If I want to install components such that the tweeters are to be fitted by cutting a hole in the door panel, will they do that?

Buying outside, and having Maruti fit it for me suits me perfectly, especially since all the other accessories are MGA, and thus I would like to keep the car in a place where if something is to happen to the car, Maruti is responsible in totality and can't pass the buck to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It's marketing bullcrap.

To be safe, cut no wires on the original wiring harness. Get a wiring harness, fit a stereo of your choice and enjoy.

Remember to use protection.
The "wiring harness" that you mention; is it the same thing that the Maruti guys are referring to when they say "coupling wires / couplers?" That is their main beef with 3rd party installs, in that they say that the couplers are only available from Maruti, and only if you buy the ICE from them (i.e. they won't sell it separately). So they claim that non-Maruti installers would just cut the couplers off, and tie the wires together, and that voids the warranty.
Old 22nd August 2007, 09:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Wiring harness couplers were introduced into the Indian aftermarket by Blaupunkt about 8 years ago.

Today there are a few companies that make and sell such couplers for most well known automotive brands in India. I know for a fact that most Maruti couplers are sold in the aftermarket. Ask around.

I can assure you that if you do not trim or chop any wire in the original wiring harness, you will not void your warranty.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 13:50   #9
BHPian

That's good. Still waiting on someone to respond as to how much Maruti would charge if I handed them 4 speakers and an amplifier to install (no head unit). And also whether they can and will install tweeters in the door.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2007 at 01:40. Reason: post modified. additional post deleted.
Old 14th December 2013, 09:28   #10

Default Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 fitted in Skoda Rapid

Greetings!! I am a costumer of Blaupunkt India as wll as of skoda India. I own a brand new "Philadelphia 835" system which is fitted in my year old Skoda Rapid car. My car was recently serviced at a Skoda dealership who reported me having fitted a Blaupunktís Philadelphia 835 system in my car to Skoda India authorities.

Now, I have received a mail from Skoda India authorities informing me that the warranty of my car will become void since Philadelphia 835 system is a not Skoda Genuine accessory and not homologated for Skoda vehicle.

I bought this system just because Blaupunkt claims in its website that this product is especially made for Skoda Cars. Please advise as to what can be done. I have contacted Blaukpunt India and I am yet to hear from them.
black diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 12:01   #11
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 fitted in Skoda Rapid

I think is is bet to reply in wiriting that Blaupunkt as advertised as such (compatible with Skoda cars).

Also please ask them to detail why they will dishonour the warranty on a car when it is only a stereo that was installed. How are the engine, brake system, clutch system and other mechnicals related to the stereo?
navin is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 13:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 fitted in Skoda Rapid

Quote:
Originally Posted by black diamond View Post
... Now, I have received a mail from Skoda India authorities informing me that the warranty of my car will become void since Philadelphia 835 system is a not Skoda Genuine accessory and not homologated for Skoda vehicle. ...
Homologated? Now that is interesting!

Could you please save the Skoda mail as an ems file and attach it here? This stinks, as in the past it was only the dealers who were sabre-rattling. Skoda knows very well that they cannot take that stance as it is completely illogical.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 15:14   #13

Default Re: Does a 3rd party install void the original Car Manufacturer's Warranty?

Sir, as desired, I have saved the email (entire conversation) as a pdf file and attached it with this response. If there is any thing that can be done through this learned forum to get Skoda India shed its high handed approach with its costumers, it may please be done.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf __in-mg61.mail.yahoo.com_neo_launch_.rand=bh2rdo0fnjhfg.pdf (276.5 KB, 1011 views)
black diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 15:29   #14
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Does a 3rd party install void the original Car Manufacturer's Warranty?

Quote:
Sir, as desired, I have saved the email (entire conversation) as a pdf file and attached it with this response. If there is any thing that can be done through this learned forum to get Skoda India shed its high handed approach with its costumers, it may please be done.
Wow just read the whole conversation, so what is the status of the white smoke complaint? What was it finally diagnosed as and was it resolved?

The bit about after market sound system, well they can deny you electrical warranty but definitely not any mechanical warranty claims.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 18:40   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Wow just read the whole conversation, so what is the status of the white smoke complaint? What was it finally diagnosed as and was it resolved?

The bit about after market sound system, well they can deny you electrical warranty but definitely not any mechanical warranty claims.
Please excuse for bumping up the thread, I was trying to find this thread/post and guess what the search gave http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...w-failure.html

So it seems its a standard operating policy

I understand rules are rules and when you cater to a large audience, some very basic set of rules have to be set. But blaming a totally unrelated component is taking it too far! Don't you think?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote