Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:01   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

OT: Is someone in Bangalore/Hyderabad getting/having Illusions? I wanted to listen to them, after hearing great reviews from LBM.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 14:30   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
OT: Is someone in Bangalore/Hyderabad getting/having Illusions? I wanted to listen to them, after hearing great reviews from LBM.
Sprocket in Hyd has them. The one in Bangalore will have it too, soon.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 18:45   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Sprocket in Hyd has them. The one in Bangalore will have it too, soon.
Thanks for the info. I will check them out this weekend.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 18:38   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 74
Thanked: Once
Default

One of our members has offered to sell his Kicker 4" components for me for Rs. 2,500, 1.5 yrs old. Can any anyone tell me, How good is Kicker coponents when compared to Illusion audio ?
gmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 22:19   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmano View Post
One of our members has offered to sell his Kicker 4" components for me for Rs. 2,500, 1.5 yrs old. Can any anyone tell me, How good is Kicker coponents when compared to Illusion audio ?
Havent heard both in the same car and of the same specs (4")

The best bet Use your ears. Try to audition them before you buy.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 22:28   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 74
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Havent heard both in the same car and of the same specs (4")

The best bet Use your ears. Try to audition them before you buy.
Not possible to audition, as the member is form mumbai. Illusion speakers also I need to order through B&T. I am confused between kicker and illusion now, Please Gurus, help me decide.
gmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 00:12   #37
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,453 Times
Default

At 2500/- the product isn't too bad (What do the kicker components cost when brand new? Anyone?). I do not think you can compare Kicker to any good product. Without prejudice I can tell you they do not sound very good.

I have not heard the Illusion 4" components, but I suspect they will sound pretty good and much much better than anything Kicker will put out from its stables. But they are twice the cost.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 00:50   #38
BHPian
 
Nimz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 468
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

@gmano - hope you dont mind a fellow confused SPark owner intruding on your thread.

@ Gurus - Illusion seems like a godsend with its 4" components. Some doubts
- What is the difference between EL comps and EX comps series of Illusion
- EL 4.1 has a freq response from 20-22000 Hz whereas as 5.1 has only 80-22000 Hz. Given the bigger surface area of 5.1 bass would be more pronounced there rather then the 4.1 right? Then why this anamoly? Does the 4.1 really go that low or is it a typo?

- Am planning to go with teh fronts only. In that case a 4" comp is any day better than a 4" co-ax right?

Am looking to mate it with the Pio 7950 or JVC KDG 635 (entry level USB HUs).. Hope Illusion EL 4.1 would vibe well.. any other suggestions for HU welcome.
@ B&T - Does Sprocket Bangy have the EL 4.1 by now?

Thanks so much..

Nimz

Edit - One more doubt.. this EL 4.1 has an Aluminium dome tweeter. Well woulndt a fabric / silk domed tweeter be sweeter??

Thanks

Last edited by Nimz : 28th August 2007 at 00:58.
Nimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 05:50   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 74
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
At 2500/- the product isn't too bad (What do the kicker components cost when brand new? Anyone?). I do not think you can compare Kicker to any good product. Without prejudice I can tell you they do not sound very good.

I have not heard the Illusion 4" components, but I suspect they will sound pretty good and much much better than anything Kicker will put out from its stables. But they are twice the cost.
Thanks Sam sir for putting some light.
The kicker 4" components (New) cost around 5000/-.
Now I think I will go with the Illusion audio.

@Nimz, you are welcome to post in my thread. Your posts also help me decide my ICE for Spark.
gmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 09:13   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
- Am planning to go with teh fronts only. In that case a 4" comp is any day better than a 4" co-ax right?
Yes. Components are anyday better than co-axials. However, if you are planning on only front, why not bigger components? I know you can't use the stock locations for bigger ones, but considering your analysis of frequency ranges, I think you'd be happier with the bass/midbass of bigger components.

Quote:
this EL 4.1 has an Aluminium dome tweeter. Well woulndt a fabric / silk domed tweeter be sweeter??
The former would be slightly brighter and the latter a little laid back. Depends on your taste.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 28th August 2007 at 09:15.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 10:37   #41
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Some doubts
- What is the difference between EL comps and EX comps series of Illusion
- EL 4.1 has a freq response from 20-22000 Hz whereas as 5.1 has only 80-22000 Hz. Given the bigger surface area of 5.1 bass would be more pronounced there rather then the 4.1 right? Then why this anamoly? Does the 4.1 really go that low or is it a typo?
- Am planning to go with teh fronts only. In that case a 4" comp is any day better than a 4" co-ax right?
Edit - One more doubt.. this EL 4.1 has an Aluminium dome tweeter. Well woulndt a fabric / silk domed tweeter be sweeter??
Most of these questions would be best answered by Bass and Trouble since he represents Illusion however since I am his uncle too (yeah the same Bob) I'll give it a shot...

The EL 4.1 mostprobably has a response 120-22k. that must be a typo.

Dont expect a 4" comp to provide too much more bass than a 4" coax. While it should be a bit better the difference in low bass prodcution is marginal. Where a comp shines is soundstage, less harsh HF response, fewer artifacts (break up modes, better control of tweeter resonanace, etc...).

Most metal/hard domes (infact "ALL metal domes" until recent developemnts in managing metal domes) Al, Be, Ti or whatever have an acute peak (ringing) usually outside the range of human hearing. With today's sophisticated surrounds, rear chamber damping, and computer generated crossovers these issues are often well managed.

Fabric domes are often accused of souding too soft and sometimes even "lispy". Again this was in the 80s. Today's CAD/CAM and FEA generated models have managed to alleviate much of this.

In short today a good tweeter can be equally listenable no matter if it is metal or fabric. Often depending on a listeners taste and preconcivied notions he/she prefers one type over the other. I admit to prefer fabric domes with exceptions - Ribbons (Fountek, Aurum Cantus, Decca, etc...), Scan's 9800, the Ti dome used in JBL 250Ti, a Be dome once made by Panasonic or was it Hitachi or Yamaha (it was some Jap brand), Focal's T120K and T90k (they needed a well designed XO though), etc..
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 15:29   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Most of these questions would be best answered by Bass and Trouble since he represents Illusion however since I am his uncle too (yeah the same Bob) I'll give it a shot...
.
.
.
.notions he/she prefers one type over the other. I admit to prefer fabric domes with exceptions - Ribbons (Fountek, Aurum Cantus, Decca, etc...), Scan's 9800, the Ti dome used in JBL 250Ti, a Be dome once made by Panasonic or was it Hitachi or Yamaha (it was some Jap brand), Focal's T120K and T90k (they needed a well designed XO though), etc..
In keeping with a recent tradition, I also have only one word to say, "Thank you Uncle"

Some clarifications though,

The Electra Series details on the website are completely incorrect. I am not sure why they havent been updated yet. The products are not the same, the specs are not the same.

If it is fine, I could post a soft copy of the Electra page from the up-to-date Illusion Audio brochure, and the specs page from the user manual (it has the T-S parameters of all drivers)

The 4" has a Fs of about 75-80 Hz if I remember correctly. No 4" speaker can produce audible 20Hz, and at the same time manage its higher frequency duties.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 16:05   #43
BHPian
 
Nimz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 468
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

thanks Uncles and Nephews..

Well the PDF of the El series on the website says freq response for the 4.1 is 200 Hz to 22,000 Hz. There goes my dreams of just having the EL 4.1 alone..
@ B & T - the Illusion site talks about EX series. Is it better? cheaper?
And do post the latest specs if possible..

If 4" comps in the front alone wont do.. then going the conventional route.. (fitting a CS series 4" co-ax in front and an equivalent JBL comps at the back) I could close it at 5-6K whereas the Illusion would cost me 5K.

@Mano - why particular about comps in front. Do you plan to use another pair of speakers in the back as well.? Do give me your reasoning. Maybe am loosing it somewhere..

Nimz and "an excited to be ICEd soon" Sparky
Nimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 17:56   #44
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
If it is fine, I could post a soft copy of the Electra page from the up-to-date Illusion Audio brochure, and the specs page from the user manual (it has the T-S parameters of all drivers)

The 4" has a Fs of about 75-80 Hz if I remember correctly. No 4" speaker can produce audible 20Hz, and at the same time manage its higher frequency duties.
B&T, Can you post just the T/S specs of the EL 4.1? I understand this is for the information purposes only.

P.S. Thank you for asking.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 19:04   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
B&T, Can you post just the T/S specs of the EL 4.1? I understand this is for the information purposes only.

P.S. Thank you for asking.
OT: Hats off to Navin and B&T! This shows how non-commercial Team-BHP is! That gesture is simply great.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Does anyone here watch "Overhaulin" on "Travel N Living"? Shan2nu Shifting gears 39 18th January 2011 23:17
What makes some cars the "winners" and others the "losers" ? mithun The Indian Car Scene 1 13th June 2007 06:55
Audi RS5 "M3 beater?" to be launched early next year "PICS" highwayblaze The International Automotive Scene 9 18th May 2007 01:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks