Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 30th August 2007, 23:37   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Do you have good installers in Chennai who can do this.. I gather comps would require installers who are quite good to get a good soundstage as tweeter placement is very important..

Nimz
Yes there are good installers in chennai.
gmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 10:56   #62
BHPian

@Nimz,gmano: I will also go with popular opinion. So here is one more Spark ready for Illusion 4.1 comp.

For HU, I will go with Blau Kingston, USB ready MRP 12950 with B&W. I heard good A.S.S. by Blau. A month later, I will add amp and rear 9x7 on plank (Illusion/Ground Zero/JBL). No sub for me. 9x7 bass should be enough for me.

Gurus, With above plan, do I need any amp for EL4.1 front comps and rear 9x7? (will it produce better sound?). If yes, any suggestions? Price less than 10K.
radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 11:43   #63
Team-BHP Support

Radek I am confused. Whats your budget? What are you looking for?
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 12:27   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Radek I am confused. Whats your budget? What are you looking for?
Sorry for confusion. I have already decided on HU and front EL4.1. This is 'Phase 1'. There are no questions on this.

In 'Phase 2', I want to add amp and rear 9x7. Now amp will power both front comp and rear 9x7.

Q1: I want to go for 9x7 by Illusion/GZ/Blau. Any suggestions? I think price will be about 5K (+/- 2K)

Q2. which should be good Amp for this setup? Budget < 10k. I think choice of amp will depend on what 9x7 is suggested.

Thanks.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:56   #65
BHPian

Welcome Radek to the "Confused Spark owners club who want ICE"
Nimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 13:03   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Sorry for confusion. I have already decided on HU and front EL4.1. This is 'Phase 1'. There are no questions on this.
Nice idea but with just 4" upfront you wont get any bass.

Quote:
In 'Phase 2', I want to add amp and rear 9x7. Now amp will power both front comp and rear 9x7.
I think 6x9's will over shadow the fronts. Are you ready to cut the front door pads to accomodate 5.25" or 6" drivers? This would be the perfect choice.

Quote:
Q1: I want to go for 9x7 by Illusion/GZ/Blau. Any suggestions? I think price will be about 5K (+/- 2K)
Thats a good budget for 6x9's and you have lots of options I found Ground Zero 6x9's to be good. I have heard them in Payam's car. You can get a demo at the meet tonight. You also get to hear the Illusion sound to get an idea of how it sounds.

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st August 2007 at 13:04.
Old 31st August 2007, 13:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

I think the right amp would be either a JBL CS60.4 or a Pioneer 6300. They have enough power to drive your speakers.

But if you would like to add a woofer at a later stage (Phase 3) then also have a look at the JBL 75.4
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 13:09   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I think the right amp would be either a JBL CS60.4 or a Pioneer 6300. They have enough power to drive your speakers.

But if you would like to add a woofer at a later stage (Phase 3) then also have a look at the JBL 75.4
I feel the right amp would be the JBL 75.4 in grey for Rs. 8500/-. Makes sense considering the Pioneer is only 1k cheaper and the CS60.4 doesn't deliver as much power. I am not sure if 4" components will sing better with an amp or not. Can someone confirm?
Old 31st August 2007, 15:57   #69
Senior - BHPian

They would DEFINITELY sing better with the amp, but be sure that you won't be getting the experience of an ID 15" sub (i.e. the lows would be low to nil).
panky12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 12:42   #70
BHPian

@Nimz, Gmano, Radek & the gurus.. here is one more person joining the "Confused Spark owners club who want ICE"!! I have just bought a Spark 3 weeks back and I'm loving it. So I thought I should browse the ICE section to find out the best option. Have been browsing through this and a couple of other threads. To be frank, I am totally & utterly confused NOW, then when I started to look for an ICE (too many options!!)

@Gmano/Radek,
DId you guys get the install done(EL4.1 components)? If so how does it sound (is there a real lack of BASS?). Do let us know. I might throw my hat in as well.

cheers,
ethan
ethanh_hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 14:02   #71
BHPian

@ ethanh hunt, I have received my 4.1 Components and I am going to do the install tomorrow. I will let you know onece I finish my install.
Old 7th September 2007, 16:15   #72
BHPian

[quote=ethanh_hunt;556179
@Gmano/Radek,
DId you guys get the install done(EL4.1 components)? If so how does it sound (is there a real lack of BASS?). Do let us know. I might throw my hat in as well.
[/quote]

I am planning to do this on Sunday. I spoke with one local shop who stocks Illusion range. Right now I am just going for Blau HU + EL 4.1. This itself will cost me around 16K (everything with B&W). If nothing goes wrong I will post a review by Monday.

But it will be tough for you to make decision on this as my final configuration at end of next month will have an amp too (and rear 6x9 for Bass). So EL4.1 without amp may not sound as great as what it is capable of.
Old 10th September 2007, 11:10   #73
BHPian

So finally, finally, my Spark is now ICED.

If you remember, my plan was to have Blau Kingston + Illusion EL 4.1 in phase 1 and Amp and rear 6x9 in phase 2. But with what happened yesterday, it is clear now that there will be phase 3 also.

On friday, I discussed with this installer about EL4.1 and Kingston. We decided to do this on Sunday afternoon. When I reached there yesterday, this guy started making few calls, then declared that EL4.1 consignement is no reached yet, he also does not have any Blau Kingston in stock.

But this guy is quite a character. He asked me why not I go for Blau Hamburg. I explained him about my budget is not deep enough to have 15K HU. Now guess what, he gave me Hamburg in cost of Kingston. He charged me 12450 for Hamburg. I never thought they have such a big margines. Anyway, I said lets go ahead.

But how I can play HU without Speakers? He said no problems I will give you other 4" coax till EL4.1 arrives. He said he will buy back the coax at same price. So he installed on MTX XT402. I never heard name of this one. But anyway it is temporary.

When he installed front 4", there was no bass. He then stretched same arrangement for rear speaker. Till I go for my phase 2, he said he will give me some speakers temporarily. There goes Blau GTC 662, 6" inch components at rear. These 6" speakers with spacer ring were mounted on parcel tray with tweeter at 'C' Pillar !! I never heard such arrangement on this forum. But it is anyway temporary.

I made a big mistake of forgetting to carry my own CD. These guys have some 10-movies-in-a-cd MP3 collection. I really could not understand how the setup was sounding other than the fact that it is better than my alto's 'Maruti' system setup installed by dealer 6 years back.

So today morning I put on familiar Dire Straits CD. After first 'Walk of Life', I was quite relieved. Sound clarity is very descent. Bass is on lower side. So I adjusted it to +4 BASS setting. Treble is bit more. Mids are fine. Mark knopfler's voice and guitar were both coming out very very clear. I can live up with this for some time. This MTX thing is much better than what I thought.

So now phase 2 is, replace MTX with EL4.1 components. Phase 3 is replace rear Blau GTC with 6x9 (Blau/Illusion/GZ/JBL) and an Amp.

OT: 3-4 hours I spent there were quite entertaining. It was ICE gully - all shops for music systems. Some of the cars were having huge sub setup. Two big subs in a box type. It required two guys to lift the damn thing. (after installation owner put on Himesh Reshamaiya CD !)

Also seen, how JBL sells. people will often come asking sony or pioneer 9x7, after listening to demo. Most of them finalised on GTO0937 (except a guy who said he never heard of JBL, so no risk with unknown brand !!). So next time I will go with my own CD for shootout between Illusion, Ground Zero, JBL and Blau THX 6x9.

@gmano, waiting for your report.
Old 10th September 2007, 11:22   #74
Team-BHP Support

So going by the description I believe you went to Music Corner and that guy conned you very well with his usual antics. He will get a consignment only if he orders it? I am sure he hasn't ordered any Illusion components. If he has then Bass&Trouble should know. He does this to many guys and you aren't spared. Sorry but I got to let you know this very frankly.
Old 10th September 2007, 11:29   #75
BHPian

@radek, I am yet to do the install, as I was busy this weekend with my Swift's ICE upgrade. I will be doing it this week, when my installer is free and let you know.