Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2007, 18:11   #1
BHPian
 
FATAL3RROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 114
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Alpine v/s Pioneer

hey guys!

have decided to upgrade my HU from the Stock Esteem Kenwood Cassette player to a MP3 Player with "Good" iPod support.

After reading various reviews and going through infinite threads on the forum, I have finally boiled down my search to these 2 HUs:

1. Pioneer 6950IB (Will either get it from US ($250) or without B/W here.
2. Alpine CDA-9883 (Will get this from US..getting a free ipod cable too!! all fr $200!!!) (Alpine CDA-9883 CD receiver with MP3/WMA/AAC playback at Crutchfield.com)

Keeping in mind that the main intention is listening to my ipod in the car and that I will be upgrading my speakers and moving to an Amp/Sub shortly, what would the gurus suggest for me??


Regards,
FE
FATAL3RROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 18:58   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATAL3RROR View Post
1. Pioneer 6950IB (Will either get it from US ($250) or without B/W here.
2. Alpine CDA-9883 (Will get this from US..getting a free ipod cable too!! all fr $200!!!) (Alpine CDA-9883 CD receiver with MP3/WMA/AAC playback at Crutchfield.com)
Alpine! in fact if your budget is $250 why not the Clarion 675?
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 08:52   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Alpine. Anyday.

Pioneer Vs. Alpine is like Paris Hilton Vs. Julia Roberts.

The former is a VFM product with a whole lot of features and flashy displays while the latter is classy and known for quality

Pioneer is good, but IMO, it can't match the SQ of Alpine. Go ahead and get yourself a sweet Alpine!
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 09:21   #4
BHPian
 
gbpscars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 402
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Alpine. Anyday.

Pioneer Vs. Alpine is like Paris Hilton Vs. Julia Roberts.

The former is a VFM product with a whole lot of features and flashy displays while the latter is classy and known for quality

Pioneer is good, but IMO, it can't match the SQ of Alpine. Go ahead and get yourself a sweet Alpine!
LOL!! smooth comparison, raghu.

FATALERROR, between Alpine and Pioneer, it will be the Alpine, YES.

Else look for a Clarion. 250$ is fair money for a HU.

Last edited by gbpscars : 28th August 2007 at 09:22.
gbpscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 10:00   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
hydrashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my Office
Posts: 2,528
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

My money goes to Alpine too.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 11:02   #6
BHPian
 
gopz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 452
Thanked: Once
Default

Alpine...Alpine...Alpine...!!!

Look no further!
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 11:44   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

surprising....everyone here is swearing by Alpine, but gurus seem to have a bit different opinion.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 11:53   #8
BHPian
 
FATAL3RROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 114
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Alpine. Anyday.

Pioneer Vs. Alpine is like Paris Hilton Vs. Julia Roberts.

ur hilarious!!

how i wish Paris Hilton was a lil VFM tho!
FATAL3RROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 12:09   #9
BHPian
 
FATAL3RROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 114
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

woa!! unanimous vote goes for the Alpine!! So, the Alpine 9883 it is!

for INR 8k including the ipod adapter cable..it already sounds sweet to me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Alpine! in fact if your budget is $250 why not the Clarion 675?
navinji, the clarion + the ipod adapter cable ($50) would take the total to $300, a lil out of my budget..wud rather save up for the speakers (my next upgrade)

thanks a ton guys..!
FATAL3RROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 17:32   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
surprising....everyone here is swearing by Alpine, but gurus seem to have a bit different opinion.
panky, funny, not one guru expressed his/her opinion. One guru is busy packing and I guess the others hare busy celebrating the holiday.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 18:34   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

naah navin, I was not talking about this thread in particular, but overall in ICE section. What I could make out from different threads that gurus believe that alpines are not as good as they used to be.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 12:45   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
naah navin, I was not talking about this thread in particular, but overall in ICE section. What I could make out from different threads that gurus believe that alpines are not as good as they used to be.
the 9856 / 57 had some problems but that seems to have sorted out int eh 9881-87. prior ot the 9856 / 57 (which gunbir think sounds nicer/less bright than the older 9833 /35) the older 9833 / 35 were reliable products.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 12:59   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,453 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Pioneer Vs. Alpine is like Paris Hilton Vs. Julia Roberts.
Oh I dunno - Paris has style. She's flash and flamb, but so what? Some people do it well. She's clever and has her own style. Dump the trashy clothes and get rid of that poodle and you have a lovely girl with an incredible inheritance and a great smile. Both very attractive qualities.

I think Julia is very pretty and intelligent, but her mouth is so big she can eat a banana sideways. Of course that might be extremely attractive to some.

Alpine is not what it used to be. I could have had babies with the earlier models, but the new ones don't turn me on. But this is my opinion.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 13:02   #14
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Oh I dunno - Paris has style. She's flash and flamb, but so what? Some people do it well. She's clever and has her own style. Dump the trashy clothes and get rid of that poodle and you have a lovely girl with an incredible inheritance and a great smile. Both very attractive qualities.

I think Julia is very pretty and intelligent, but her mouth is so big she can eat a banana sideways. Of course that might be extremely attractive to some.

Alpine is not what it used to be. I could have had babies with the earlier models, but the new ones don't turn me on. But this is my opinion.
Moral of the story, Sam does NOT want to have babies with Julia Roberts. cheers:
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 13:37   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
She's flash and flamb, but so what? Some people do it well. She's clever and has her own style. Dump the trashy clothes and get rid of that poodle and....
The self-proclaimed 'Marilyn Monroe' of today boasting about blonde dominance. Duh!

Sam, I thought you had a great taste. Please don't say you love her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I think Julia is very pretty and intelligent, but her mouth is so big she can eat a banana sideways. Of course that might be extremely attractive to some.
A wide mouth? I personally think a woman with a wide mouth is much better than a stupid spoiled anorexic Hilton having a poodle dangling around with her waiting to die.

Just kidding, anyway.

By the way, I think my 9856 rules.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 29th August 2007 at 13:44.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bought an Alpine m500 and Type R sub, need advice on an all Alpine SQL setup. Astleviz In-Car Entertainment 1 23rd October 2010 23:46
Reliable Alpine / Pioneer dealers in Bangalore? styx71 In-Car Entertainment 14 20th January 2009 19:09
Alpine SWR-1222D for Pioneer Mono Block D510 kiran1103 In-Car Entertainment 6 22nd March 2008 12:17
pioneer subs, monster cap and alpine amps for sale BikerSG Shifting gears 8 4th October 2006 16:03
Alpine CDA-9856 or Pioneer DEH 6850P Which is best, Help Me plz ... nrajeshkumar In-Car Entertainment 26 24th July 2006 14:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks