Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 18th December 2009, 02:21   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I would like to know the possibilities of having a good setup, but there is a twist. There cant be a HU at all. Are there ways to directly connect an ipod or a multiple MP3 disk player of any kind directly to an AMP, but still have basic bass, treble, Volume, fader, etc in control??
Else you can go like this

[Your fancy phone with obviously volume, eq, songs, as large a card you have ! but no taking calls. you can take calls no probs, you can heck charge your phone as well.]-> Amplifier--> Speakers (via X over if components).

Cheers.
Sasta Swast mazboot tikau.

You might even get radio !!! (if the cord works well !)
No subwoofer is possible in this as the basic signal from the HU is not present here.

You will need an amp switch as there's no head unit & you don't want that negative earth to get into that floating around stereo pin plug somewhere on bare metal.

Last edited by mmmjgm : 18th December 2009 at 02:23.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 09:36   #107
BHPian

phone->ampli->speaker..quite interesting! may be idea of home stereo/ carputer works well then.

OT:- Bombay take a slip or not?
Dhams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 09:37   #108
Senior - BHPian

MMm, you can have a subwoofer also. All you need is a compatible amplifier/line level converter.
It's possible, but not in the best interests of sound quality. And there is NO problem of negative earth/grounding fault. Only problem would be that the amplifier would remain on at all times, which could again be sorted by the line level converter, which would have the remote turn on wire.
It's possible. Instead of all that, why not just have a 'chalu' head unit with aux and do all you want, cyrus?
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 11:30   #109
Senior - BHPian

Probably you can connect the Remote wire to the ACC switch on the car,as soon as you put the key and turn,the amp starts.

I would suggest you get an EQ where you have a Aux input with its volume control,and rest you can have your 4-band/7-band EQ to get decent sound thru your speakers,search around the classified section there are many floating for dirt cheap,get a 4channel amp like Sound barrier or the V-12 they are very cheap but does the work,get a pair of 6.5"inch components and Decent rear coaxials
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 11:56   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
MMm, you can have a subwoofer also. All you need is a compatible amplifier/line level converter.
It's possible, but not in the best interests of sound quality. And there is NO problem of negative earth/grounding fault. Only problem would be that the amplifier would remain on at all times, which could again be sorted by the line level converter, which would have the remote turn on wire.
It's possible. Instead of all that, why not just have a 'chalu' head unit with aux and do all you want, cyrus?

Additionally the stereo pin which would connect to his phone will be lying around on the ground if someone else is using it or if he's using the phone and is disconnected, now if the pin (connected to amp) is lying around and touches bare metal (a lot of it in a Premier padmini) is bound to give some static noise, which will psyche Cy out, and that's undesirable.

That's why the suggestion for an amp switch.
Old 24th December 2009, 19:18   #111
BHPian

STUPID question: what car is it for? An option: albeit an expensive one is to pick up a multi function DSP. they're tiny and integrate anywhere. otherwise if it's going be an ipod you can pick up a dock and use the preamp or amped output of the pod. this will also protect your line from the said static.
valhallen.282 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 19:33   #112
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...will-work.html

here you go
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 20:37   #113
BANNED

Its not for the Fiats. Its for something Else. And I cant have a HU as It will get stolen.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 23:36   #114
Senior - BHPian

cyrus, i have a doubt. apart from the balance and fader, bass/treble/eq are available in even the cheapest MP3 player.

and will you need to change the balance/fader settings THAT often?
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 20:21   #115
BHPian

Is it a car or a two wheeler ? or sorry will it be fitted in a bi cycle ?
Old 9th February 2012, 11:32   #116
Senior - BHPian

Default ICE system without head unit

I've been pondering about this idea since a long time, why can't we use an ICE system without a HU, instead have a good MP3 player powering it?

These are my options:

1. Get a good HU (8-9K?) + front components. Later get amps and rear speakers.
2. Get a good 2/4channel amp + front components, Use a Sandisk Sansa Fuze connected to the amp via RCA.

By going for option 2, I can probably save on the head unit and instead get a good amp + components. Whatever components, amp or HU I want to buy must be so that I do not have to replace them later on. Plus the interface on most HUs are sorta finicky in the sense you cannot browse by Artists/Albums, plus I have a repository of 400GBs of FLAC music which I do not want to convert to MP3 just for the car.

There is a concern raised by a friend that car amps require 4V RCA input whereas MP3 players like the Fuze can put out just 2V, that reduces the quality/effect of the audio. Is this a major factor to reckon with? I've noticed some alpine HUs having only 2V Pre Outs.

Please guide me on which approach is better, I tried searchign the forums but could not come across similar topics.

Cheers,
Sunny.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 12:46   #117
Senior - BHPian

I am no expert here, but one of my friend recently installed a JBL system in which the HU itself only supports USB input and radio. No discs.
I feel this HU would be far cheaper than others with discs etc. That is also what my friend mentioned as a reason for going for this HU, as storing songs on USB/music player is far easier.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 14:52   #118
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ICE system without head unit

My point is I dont wan't to buy anything mediocre that will need replacing later on. Hence even if I compromise on a HU and buy the amp setup, I can always add an amp later on without having to suffer any losses from the old system.

I have a very thorough, separate speaker, headfones and portable setup so I'm a bit picky when it comes to Music
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 16:23   #119
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Crazy Idea - Direct connection to Amp (no Head-Unit) - Will it work?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I am no expert here, but one of my friend recently installed a JBL system in which the HU itself only supports USB input and radio. No discs..
Since it was a breakthough product we have a thread dedicated to this JBL HU
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...confirmed.html
navin is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 20:57   #120
BHPian

Default Re: ICE system without head unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I have a very thorough, separate speaker, headfones and portable setup so I'm a bit picky when it comes to Music
aaand don't we know it

There are two issues at play (literally, in this case).

One is electrical interference through the charging system that will necessarily find its way into the amp's circuit and by logic, into the device's heaphone jack through the ground connection. How the device itself is able to deal with it is a big question.

The second is that fact that the device and the amp are always paired together. When the plug is removed or connected there are periods where the (noisy) ground connects the signal prongs together. Ideally you need to be able to switch the amp on and off before or after dis/connecting the unit. The excursion and noise produced may have (in certain cases) damaging effects on the speakers.

The sure-shot solution is an signal-coupling audio transformer between the two, but it seems a very expensive way to achieve a simple objective.

I would choose a decent HU, and good speakers. Plus some attention to reducing noise inside the cabin, that is the wisest investment you can make when it comes to a car audio setup *if you want to come close to the sound of a home setup*.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote