Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2007, 17:57   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,652
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Ahh! But you are forgetting the fact that we have some fine specimens on this forum. Example:

come on yaar gunman!!

if LBM or for that matter anyone posts something off curosity or wants to share his views, it doesnt always mean that he's fighting or making himself superior or more knowledgeable, its just the way how you take it.

being an audio forum, it's perfectly fine for anyone to present his opinion.

no offences meant here....i hope you understand!
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 18:14   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
being an audio forum, it's perfectly fine for anyone to present his opinion.
What did I do? Navinji asked a question, I gave him the answer. In my opinion, it's as simple as that.

Now that "it's perfectly fine for anyone to present his opinion" whats the problem here. Oh ok... Now I get it. You are just expressing your opinion. Chalo aao, hum sab opinion-opinion khele.

Last edited by gunbir : 20th September 2007 at 18:16.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 18:21   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,652
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
What did I do? Navinji asked a question, I gave him the answer. In my opinion, it's as simple as that.

Now that "it's perfectly fine for anyone to present his opinion" whats the problem here. Oh ok... Now I get it. You are just expressing your opinion. Chalo aao, hum sab opinion-opinion khele.
you are too much phunny!!

opinion bole to yaar opinion about technical details only!
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 09:22   #19
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Ahh! But you are forgetting the fact that we have some fine specimens on this forum. Example:
Is that your best excuse?

I'm treating this topic as closed unless you want to argue about how 1.087 db more power makes a difference.

I accepted JB's argument about IB vs sealed as IB installs are generall much more efficeint than typical small sealed boxes. In this case the ID woofer would be more more efficient in an IB compared to a 1 cu. ft. sealed box. I would assume the difference would be 6-10db which is very noticeable.

Last edited by navin : 21st September 2007 at 09:31.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 09:38   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Is that your best excuse?
Why would we need an excuse to state the correct output of a product, ours or otherwise. JB never said 170w was louder than 150w, he simply stated the correct number. Thats JB.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 09:45   #21
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Why would we need an excuse to state the correct output of a product, ours or otherwise. JB never said 170w was louder than 150w, he simply stated the correct number. Thats JB.
Oh ok. I thought JB was trying to say that 170W will make a difference. If he has said "hey Navin the correct power is 170W" we would not have needed to go through all this.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 11:09   #22
BHPian
 
Autophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 930
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Practically nothing makes the difference neither 20W difference nor 0.333333333333333333 variation in impedance.

Over the period of time I have seen that arguement is picked on this forum by pinpointing little little variations in specifications and comparing figures listed on web / catalogs for which explainations and counter arguements fills numerous pages diverting from the orginal question of thread starter.

For Flying bong's ears to notice loudness he needs 130X2 for speakers and 340 Watts for subwoofer over Audison SRx 2 combo. Now does that reason is practical enough for him to upgrade the amplifier. I believe no, because he is looking for smooth / sweet sounding amplifier for his system. It does not matter whether it is 50W or 75W. Thats why he was discussing Butler Audio amplifiers.

You don't buy the car purely on the basis of figures like HP, 0-60 timings. If that would have been the case everyone would have been driving stripped down drag spec cars. Similarly while choosing an amplifier for some people power is secondary its the tonality and transparency of the amplifier which matters.

Last edited by Autophile : 21st September 2007 at 11:15.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 12:38   #23
BHPian
 
Flying Bong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 271
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
I believe no, because he is looking for smooth / sweet sounding amplifier for his system. It does not matter whether it is 50W or 75W. Thats why he was discussing Butler Audio amplifiers.
Bang on, JB..

I would like to nevertheless thank all who have responded with suggestions on the optimal power requirements for my setup, I will certainly consider the same.

To summarize the feedback received on Butler amps on this thread so far, the consensus seems to be that they do provide a smooth, liquid sound but may be considered expensive for what one gets.

Does anyone have any other opinions/feedback? Anyone want to suggest alternative options (warm, smooth, lush sound, doesnt necessarily need to have tubes - I understand and accept that individual perceptions of "warmth","smoothness' etc are subjective*)?

*dont mean to offend anyone by using this word...
Flying Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 13:18   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
Does anyone have any other opinions/feedback? Anyone want to suggest alternative options (warm, smooth, lush sound, doesnt necessarily need to have tubes - I understand and accept that individual perceptions of "warmth","smoothness' etc are subjective*)?

I am using STEG in that case. They are quite nice sounding and smooth amps.

Since you are delhi based I can arrange you the demo of the same if you are interested
G.T. Trading

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 21st September 2007 at 13:20.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 13:39   #25
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
Over the period of time I have seen that arguement is picked on this forum by pinpointing little little variations in specifications and comparing figures listed on web / catalogs for which explainations and counter arguements fills numerous pages diverting from the orginal question of thread starter..


I really really wish that atleast the senior members (newbies might not know better) dont add to this sort of clutter.

for example: 200W is only 3db louder than 100W provided the Xmax of the speaker has not been reached, and I'd like to ask how many of you can really tell the difference between a component with a S/N of 90db and one of 95 or even 100db in a moving car in traffic.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 13:48   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I'd like to ask how many of you can really tell the difference between a component with a S/N of 90db and one of 95 or even 100db in a moving car in traffic.
It is a very tricky question Navin Ji
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 16:58   #27
BHPian
 
Autophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 930
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post


for example: 200W is only 3db louder than 100W provided the Xmax of the speaker has not been reached, and I'd like to ask how many of you can really tell the difference between a component with a S/N of 90db and one of 95 or even 100db in a moving car in traffic.
Very few. But then they know what they want.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 18:36   #28
BHPian
 
determinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 276
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

It is true fun when gurus come to the party! Psychedelic :-)
determinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q! Sam Kapasi In-Car Entertainment 13577 11th December 2017 18:05
Anyone heard of Mega Audio ? nirmalrshah In-Car Entertainment 44 17th May 2017 18:13
Anyone heard of HATS audio? Hummer.Rulez In-Car Entertainment 4 5th August 2012 15:44
the story of my robot butler - roomba !! jassi Gadgets, Computers & Software 45 8th July 2010 18:43
Vicky Butler Henderson vs Michael Schumacher - on the cards. Shan2nu Shifting gears 3 19th November 2005 20:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks