Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 18th December 2007, 19:20   #196
Senior - BHPian

==================== OT ===================

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Continuing with the O/T trend... hydra chetta, arent you a doc ?
Nope. Into publishing and (a bit of) advertising

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
^ hydra, that would make sense in a ...
solution.
True. But the manufacturer wouldn't want a customer to make up his mind based on prices alone. Not without the customer considering the special benefits that his brand of speakers will give the customer.

In our country especially, that happens a lot (decisions based on prices alone). In the case of most of the crowd, a price comparison based on the ads would be done and a brand would be decided based on the lowest price and best warranty.

After all, "all speakers sound about the same, right?" This is what my Dad (an LL.M.) thinks. He can't understand what all the fuss about this speaker, that HU, this amp (huh, whazzat? whadduyouneeditfor?) etc. is all about. If it were up to him, he'd take the car to the nearest shop and ask the guy there to install the brand that he'd chosen from shopping with ads. No audition, nothing. No checking (with the installer, or by listening) whether the other brand that costs just 200/- more gives so much better sound.

Sony Xplod would RULE the roost. (They do have a very significant share of the "roost" -- the aam junta make up most of the sales, and not discerning buyers). The thought process would be like "After all, good company. They make great TVs. They sell a lot of music systems. Their speakers must be the best. And hey, look, they cost the least, when compared to brands like JBL, Blaupunkt, Kenwood, etc. And warranty too. Lemme buy SONY".

All this is mostly just my opinion of consumer behavior, by the way

========================================
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 19:25   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Ah the doc was rsjaurr who disappeared from the forums. You opinion is pretty spot on btw
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 20:00   #198
BHPian

Default Prices on jbl.rediff.com are incorrect/not updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Actually JBL prices are available on jbl.rediff.com
@Sam : i was checking on the site and i can hardly see any of the new products of GT5 series on the site. Moreover all teh prices mentioned are way off the mark..

the site lists CS1204B for 7990. where as in one of your eearlier post in this thread you say it is for Rs.3990/-

Please can you get these prices udpated on the rediff site and also get the latteest of the GT5 series there.
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 23:21   #199
NIP
Senior - BHPian

hey leadfoot...can you link me up to the site you're talkin about ?
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 23:26   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
the site lists CS1204B for 7990. where as in one of your eearlier post in this thread you say it is for Rs.3990/-
A 12" sealed box for 3990/-??

I said that?
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 23:29   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sony Xplod would RULE the roost.
Incorrect. Sony Xplod does not have the maximum share of the car audio market.

Quote:
They do have a very significant share of the "roost"
Now that is correct A very significant share.
Old 18th December 2007, 23:31   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Incorrect. Sony Xplod does not have the maximum share of the car audio market.
i thought I had read somwhere that they were no 1 sales wise & no 2 was pioneer. has this equation changed ?

sorry for OT
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 00:56   #203
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Why don't companies advertise the MRPs on their websites? JBL is only one such company, but really this is a norm in India for some odd reason.
no. companies like sony, alpine all have their MRPs. sony has an india site... hence the MRPs, alpine US site has their pricing as well. other companies do not have an india website at all... tell me if you found a company that has a website for india without prices.

besides this the reason you normally don't find prices in brochures websites etc. is purely because prices are always changing... and it ain't practically possible to change brochures at the pace of price changes for logistics and economy.

Quote:
^ hydra, that would make sense in a world with educated salesmen. Most, in the case of car audio are not. So you don't get any information from the salesmen apart from "yeh to ji best hai, yeh lagva do aap." The amusing part is that if you have read the product information on the website, then you may end up in a situation where you know more than the salesman! (which is great if they are trying to cheat you). The way I see it is that the more aware the consumer is, the more empowered he is. And price is just information.

I can understand if say Speaker X has a MRP of Rs. 4990, but you can get in with B&W on the street for 4200, then the manufacturer doesn't want to lose the customer who wants to spend Rs. 4500 maximum. But a simple disclaimer of "These are maximum prices, and retail prices at dealerships may be less" would be a possible solution.
this calls for a long discussion. there are companies who intentionally overprice MRPs. Indian psyche buys discounts - they do not realise how hiked the MRPs have been in the first place, so it helps the sale.

on the other hand, it also favours the grey. as dealers compare MRPs of official products to push grey sales.

if you compare this with computer hardware industry - there is a term called market operating price. say a printer may have an MRP of 5990 - but it MOP will be 4800... that'd be the ongoing market rate at lamington road or nehru place.... and a little higher in other retail places. however, anyone ignorant buying from the retailer at 5200 would still go happy thinking he got a great discount.

Quote:
==================== OT ===================

True. But the manufacturer wouldn't want a customer to make up his mind based on prices alone. Not without the customer considering the special benefits that his brand of speakers will give the customer.

In our country especially, that happens a lot (decisions based on prices alone). In the case of most of the crowd, a price comparison based on the ads would be done and a brand would be decided based on the lowest price and best warranty.

After all, "all speakers sound about the same, right?" This is what my Dad (an LL.M.) thinks. He can't understand what all the fuss about this speaker, that HU, this amp (huh, whazzat? whadduyouneeditfor?) etc. is all about. If it were up to him, he'd take the car to the nearest shop and ask the guy there to install the brand that he'd chosen from shopping with ads. No audition, nothing. No checking (with the installer, or by listening) whether the other brand that costs just 200/- more gives so much better sound.

Sony Xplod would RULE the roost. (They do have a very significant share of the "roost" -- the aam junta make up most of the sales, and not discerning buyers). The thought process would be like "After all, good company. They make great TVs. They sell a lot of music systems. Their speakers must be the best. And hey, look, they cost the least, when compared to brands like JBL, Blaupunkt, Kenwood, etc. And warranty too. Lemme buy SONY".

========================================

bang on. a very true and a very correct perspective. 'sony' has a big 'brand' value in electronics. they sell lcds, tvs, music systems, cameras, home theatres. they have a legacy in electronics. a share of over 30% in car audio. and a phenomenal ad spend, globally as well as in india.

in fact sony and blaupunkt are the only two car audio 'companies' present in india. the other brands are represented by importers.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 02:27   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
the other brands are represented by importers.
Boy and they do have hella representation
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 08:46   #205
Team-BHP Support

gettin my gt5-963, gt5-12 and gt5-604 fitted on today. hopefully the 604 will be in stores now. thank you sam.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 09:06   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
thank you sam.
Don't thank me, thank Karl. lol

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 19th December 2007 at 09:07.
Old 19th December 2007, 16:53   #207
Team-BHP Support

i just got jblfyed with the gt5 series..
Old 20th December 2007, 01:33   #208
BHPian

Hey Akshay..

Did you manage to get the gt5 604.. if yes .. for how much.?
manyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 17:32   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
A 12" sealed box for 3990/-??

I said that?
Ah.. maybe i got it wrong.... got all my doubts cleared once i went through the thread again.

its 3990 just for the sub and 7990 for the sub with the sealed box..

My apologies.. Sam... but please do something about putting the latest GT5 products on the jbl.rediff.com site.

@NIP the site is jbl.rediff.com

Btw can someone clarify what would typically be the contents of a packed JBL product ( sub/components/amps.. whatever)
- the actual product
- cables ??
- warranty cards ??
- JBl stickers ???
- manuals/instructions

Helps to identify a genuine product thats opened right in front of you, if you know what to expect in it.
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 18:58   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyu View Post
Hey Akshay..

Did you manage to get the gt5 604.. if yes .. for how much.?
yes i got it.. the mrp is 7990 i got it for 7120 or so..