Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2008, 13:19   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
I am really not getting this...
Come down to FBD. I will make you help understand in person. Practically.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:01   #62
BHPian
 
Autophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 930
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post

Like what ? And in the reality the HU 9887 alone is nothing till you get a imprint kit which doubles its cost and it is out of range in the price comparison of P80.

Cheers.
Its not true that 9887 is nothing without imprint kit.

You don't really need the imprint kit to make 9887 perform to its maximum. The imprint kit is for noobs
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:28   #63
BHPian
 
Autophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 930
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
To check the response of the HU we need a RTA to do that. Here the Pioneer could be at dip at above 7khz or the 9887 would be at boost maybe they are designed the way they sound. I will not agree that both the HU are flat till I have the RTA result.
You were able to spot a peak and dip at 7KHz in two HU's by listening to them. I must say you have very good ears .

I hope you are not using Microphone based measurement in RTA to compare the frequency response of the two units.

Also peak or dip at a certain frequency band will not affect the staging to that extent. In case of 7KHz its way out of crucial midrange area.

The problem could be with your 7KHz tweeter / midrange crossover point and slope settings.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:30   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Come down to FBD. I will make you help understand in person. Practically.
Well my ears work well enough for me to form my own opinion. So I don't feel the need to go anywhere to have another's opinion forced down my throat.

Having used both HUs myself, I tend to agree with Zucchero... simple. The P80 is a nice HU too, but I would prefer the 9887 (by itself) over the P80. And while looks are very subjective, I prefer the 9887 again.

I don't think Zucchero started this thread with any bias. He posts very seldom and when he does, he has something to say. We found his listening impressions quite akin to our own, while your review is quite confusing.
No offense meant.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 21:08   #65
BHPian
 
Flying Bong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 271
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
thought of comparing the two hu.both the hu were connected to the proceesors in lbm's car.we made a copy of two cds so that we can run both the units simentaniously.the only difference was that p80 was running through a stringer rca with nuetrik connector but the 9887 had a monster 300 series rca.
before comparing we made sure that both the hu were in FLAT mode without any eq settings.
@zucchero:

Good to see the attention paid to keeping "all other things equal" for the A/B...
Flying Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:48   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
Its not true that 9887 is nothing without imprint kit.

You don't really need the imprint kit to make 9887 perform to its maximum. The imprint kit is for noobs
I did not knew that the imprint is for noobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
You were able to spot a peak and dip at 7KHz in two HU's by listening to them. I must say you have very good ears .

Me not alone Zuchero singh is also agreeing with me here. And thank for the complement.


I hope you are not using Microphone based measurement in RTA to compare the frequency response of the two units.
[/quote]

For what sir. also I dont have a mic based RTA with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile


Also peak or dip at a certain frequency band will not affect the staging to that extent. In case of 7KHz its way out of crucial midrange area.
So what it would be. I would like to know your experience. What caused it in your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile

The problem could be with your 7KHz tweeter / midrange crossover point and slope settings.
I dont think so because the Midrange and tweeter are working with there passive networks and not Active.

I addition to this If you are interested in knowing today again I and zuchero singh did one test. I boosted the 8 khz eq in the HU and the soundstage was higher when compared to flat setting. What caused it maybe you can tell us.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 00:30   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
@zucchero:

Good to see the attention paid to keeping "all other things equal" for the A/B...
the whole Idea was mine but Zucchero singh helped with his ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
There are very few people who have the PXA and IMO, its a waste of money. One can get much better equipment for the price.

BTW, whats that cable in the pic(blue and red in colour)?

cheers
You are the first person say that never heard from anyones who knows what it can do. Anyways no need to debate with you as you have a very weird type of choice. And what other equipment which you meant ?

The blue and red color is the power cable for the 9887.

No offense bro.

Cheers.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th January 2008 at 15:16.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 09:41   #68
BHPian
 
Autophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 930
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post

I dont think so because the Midrange and tweeter are working with there passive networks and not Active.

I addition to this If you are interested in knowing today again I and zuchero singh did one test. I boosted the 8 khz eq in the HU and the soundstage was higher when compared to flat setting. What caused it maybe you can tell us.
If you are running passives then the crossover point is 5.5KHz not 7KHz.

So a peak or dip at "7KHz" has more to do with tweeter and its placement could very well be the result of reflections because of glass area.

The sound stage is more dependent on drivers, locations, phase, slopes than equalizer.

You can improve imaging by equalizer as it makes the reproduction more linear by eradicating peaks or dips in frequency spectrum.

All I want to say that the peak or dip at "7KHz" alone cannot affect the sound stage enough to notice so easily. Moreover the cause of this variation has more to do with the speakers and car acoustics than CD player.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:04   #69
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
...the tweeters were more ACTIVE in 9887 bringing the soundstage upfront ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Because 9887 is a little brighter then the P80...In all of this the 9887 treble is not harsh it is good and has warmth but the P80 is more warmer.
Me thinks that Zucchero prefrs the sound of th 9887 (over the P80) and LBM prefers the P80. This discussion has more to do with personal tastes than the ability of either of these HUs to perform admirably.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:20   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Me thinks that Zucchero prefrs the sound of th 9887 (over the P80) and LBM prefers the P80. This discussion has more to do with personal tastes than the ability of either of these HUs to perform admirably.
It is of personal but I also like the sound of 9887 no doubt in that. We are discussing how much difference two HU have. And what effects it makes in the soundstage and musically.

I think Zuchero singh will help me now as I am not able to explian. Singhaaa.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:36   #71
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
It is of personal but I also like the sound of 9887 no doubt in that. We are discussing how much difference two HU have. And what effects it makes in the soundstage and musically.

I think Zuchero singh will help me now as I am not able to explian. Singhaaa.
From reading your and Zucchero's reviews I think anyone who is that serious about music as to invest in either of these 2 HUs (neither are entry level HUs) should listen to both and decide which suits their ears/system/installation.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:14   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
If you are running passives then the crossover point is 5.5KHz not 7KHz.

So a peak or dip at "7KHz" has more to do with tweeter and its placement could very well be the result of reflections because of glass area.

The sound stage is more dependent on drivers, locations, phase, slopes than equalizer.

You can improve imaging by equalizer as it makes the reproduction more linear by eradicating peaks or dips in frequency spectrum.

All I want to say that the peak or dip at "7KHz" alone cannot affect the sound stage enough to notice so easily. Moreover the cause of this variation has more to do with the speakers and car acoustics than CD player.
I agree with you on all the above terms. I would like to elaborate a bit. There is not a peak or dip at 7khz alone. I said it is at 7hz and above. Which can be at 8khz to 12k.

The main funda I am trying to say here is that with the 9887 the tweeter were playing louder when compared to P80 which shifted the soundstage higher simple. I said why 7khz and above because the tweeter is giving 7khz and above.

And the my tweeter is crossed at 7khz as it is running passive with the cross over which came with it.



Also the two-way Iridium kit is crossed at 3.8 khz.

DLS - Products


Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
From reading your and Zucchero's reviews I think anyone who is that serious about music as to invest in either of these 2 HUs (neither are entry level HUs) should listen to both and decide which suits their ears/system/installation.

Yes I agree. Investing in high end ICE equipment must be done seriously and only after listing to it. But here in india that type of resources are yet to be made. But T-Bhp is helping in a great way.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 23rd January 2008 at 12:18.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:38   #73
BHPian
 
clipto333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jalandhar
Posts: 912
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
You are the first person say that never heard from anyones who knows what it can do. Anyways no need to debate with you as you have a very weird type of choice. And what other equipment which you meant ?

The blue and red color is the power cable for the 9887.

No offense bro.

Cheers.

Oh. rest assured there are many who think the way i do. I would buy a high end Head Unit instead of a rux-pxa or an alpine HU-pxa combo. The head unit for me would be definitely the clarion.

Your dash with the head unit and rux looks ugly and IMO and according to me, your ice sucks. Don't know why. your equipment is good.

And thanks for not debating. I dont like to bajao a been in front of the LOW_BHIANS_MAKKER.

no offence

clip

Last edited by clipto333 : 23rd January 2008 at 14:39.
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 23rd January 2008, 15:08   #74
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
Your dash with the head unit and rux looks ugly and IMO and according to me, your ice sucks.
this is not behaviour that is tolerated here!
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 15:12   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
Your dash with the head unit and rux looks ugly and IMO and according to me, your ice sucks. Don't know why. your equipment is good.
And thanks for not debating. I dont like to bajao a been in front of the LOW_BHIANS_MAKKER.

no offence

clip

Thank you Clip for your kind words. No offense taken bro.

Raghvinder
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poor Experience and Alpine 9887 stolen at Carnation Chandigarh R.I.P Indian Car Dealerships 16 24th February 2012 15:16
Alpine 9887 CD Load Error - Need an Authorised Service Center in Chennai? anachronix In-Car Entertainment 18 15th July 2010 09:00
Alpine 9887 at Approx Rs13000 anToNIcHeN In-Car Entertainment 2 24th January 2010 16:37
alpine 9887 + infinity kappa + jbl amps sounding harsh..please help tuning vickyre In-Car Entertainment 8 5th November 2008 14:02
Alpine 9887 St. Anger In-Car Entertainment 8 4th December 2007 06:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks