Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 10th October 2007, 15:36   #1

Default Audio Setup SX4

Guys just bought a SX4, i do not like the music system, Need to change the speakers and add a amp and a woofer,

I already have a Soundstream system 6.5" Components, 6.5: coaxial, and 6*9 ovals, Amp is 90*4 RMS , and a blau bass tube.

How do i atatch all this to the existing HU (dont want to change it coz it integrates well with the dashboard, also dont want to lose steering controls)

Is it possible coz the Nippon HU has a single preout. Need helpguys coz dont want my soundstream speakers to go to waste ( They are really mindblowing)

I just love them, pleAse help
nilesh111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 16:06   #2
BHPian

congrats nilesh on sx4, welcome to T-BHP
Vino_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 16:23   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesh111 View Post
Need to change the speakers and add a amp and a woofer,

I already have a Soundstream system 6.5" Components, 6.5: coaxial, and 6*9 ovals, Amp is 90*4 RMS , and a blau bass tube.

How do i atatch all this to the existing HU Is it possible coz the Nippon HU has a single preout. Need helpguys coz dont want my soundstream speakers to go to waste ( They are really mindblowing)
let me get this: you have 3 pairs of speakers (6" components, 6" coax and 6x9 coax) and a sub and just a single 4 ch. amp?

1. is the blau bass tube active? does it have it's own amp?
2. a simple install would call for just the 6" components (in front) and 6" coax in the rear (i think installing the 6x9 would involve some minor modificaiton).

if the blau sub is active the soundstream amp can drive the front and rear speakers if not use the Hu to drive the rear speakers.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 17:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
let me get this: you have 3 pairs of speakers (6" components, 6" coax and 6x9 coax) and a sub and just a single 4 ch. amp?

1. is the blau bass tube active? does it have it's own amp?
2. a simple install would call for just the 6" components (in front) and 6" coax in the rear (i think installing the 6x9 would involve some minor modificaiton).

if the blau sub is active the soundstream amp can drive the front and rear speakers if not use the Hu to drive the rear speakers.
And if the Blaupunkt sub has an amp, 2 Y RCA cables (one IN plug, 2 OUT sockets) would need to be procured to connect it to the HU.

If the Soundstream amp has a set of RCA outputs, the same can be connected to the Blaupunkt sub amp with simple RCA cables - no Y cables required.

If the Blaupunkt is not powered, as Navin said -
* the rears speakers can be connected to the HU
* the fronts can be connected to 2 channels of the Soundstream amp
* the sub can be connected to the remaining 2 Soundstream amp channels bridged
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 08:10   #5

Unhappy Need the best advice for massive sound.

Hi guys,
What would you recommend for the SX4 ZXI? I want to set up a sweet system with two powerful subs and remove all the stock speakers with newer ones...all in mind: I want to retain the original HU. Please help Oh! Experienced ones......
fretcraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 14:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

changing the head unit might be the only option if you want to maximise the potential of your amp and speakers.

you could also do one thing, maybe look for an amp that uses line level connections for the speakers, and hence improve the output slightly. since the head unit has just one pre out, the entire setup will be an overkill for the HU!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 17:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretcraze View Post
Hi guys,
What would you recommend for the SX4 ZXI? I want to set up a sweet system with two powerful subs and remove all the stock speakers with newer ones...all in mind: I want to retain the original HU. Please help Oh! Experienced ones......
hi
fretcraze i think nilesh is also wishing to do the same.YOu two should talk

Basic is get components for the front the Electra from Illusions , GTO from JBL a Blaupunkt or even a Ground Zero or Bull audio set should be fine.I suggest entry level here since it would not be wise to run higher grade components using the current HU since you wont be able to enjoy them to their potential

for the rears get any speakers of the same brand that goes into the stock location

Get a Subwoofer in a ported or sealed box ( i would prefer just one if youre not gonna change HU

Get a good amplifier and run the speakers off line level.Use the one pre out that you have for the sub

If you wanna go higher up the ladder i advice a change in HU(yes you will have to rip off the old one and loose steering control)

Last edited by Magma : 26th January 2009 at 17:25.
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 07:27   #8

Smile Thanks

Thanks a ton guys for your help. Is there an extension of some sort that i can get from Canada that would connect to the pre-out thing you were talking about?.
fretcraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 23:26   #9
BHPian

Hello everyone out there. I have booked a SX4 Vxi and wanted your help guys in setting up a cool audio system. I am not planning to change the stock speaker set. All i am thinking is to go for a nice amplifier. So is it possible to do so and if so then what would be your suggestions ??
David Murx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 09:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murx View Post
Hello everyone out there. I have booked a SX4 Vxi and wanted your help guys in setting up a cool audio system. I am not planning to change the stock speaker set. All i am thinking is to go for a nice amplifier. So is it possible to do so and if so then what would be your suggestions ??
You can an amplifier to your existing system. The OEM HU will have to connected to teh amplifier either via the amplifer's speaker level inputs or via a speaker to line level adapter and the speakers will be connected to the amplifer instead of directly to the HU.

However, it has been my experience that the audio component car manufacturers skimp on most are the speakers.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 19:14   #11
BHPian

Default stock setups

hi,

for cars with good stock systems... i'd recommend in foll order:

1. simply add a base-bin or a pre-amplified sub. they are difficult to source.. but JBL n pioneers are available and for a cheap 6-7k they do good job adding the lower notes, they have in-built speaker inputs for amp.. but installation is not easy.

2. no point in adding amplifier with stock speakers. i know of a person who had done them, but he was willing to sacrifice the speakers if they conked off and luckily they didn't distort. most of them, like navin said... are not worth/capable of being amped. but if you are willing to sacrifice them since they anyways aren't worth much, go ahead. initially it'll save you speaker cost, later on you can change them.

3. preserving stock HUs, one can add speaker to line converters... there are cheap chinese ones available, but they aren't good. the good ones are expensive and it's better to invest that 3-4k extra in a new HU than buying these converters.

4. alternatively, a good option is to get one of the scosche type kits for HU integration, change HU, and then go for an amp, a good component set and a sub. this keeps the looks and gives you the works!
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote