Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2007, 09:42   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mohali
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default 4 Channel AMP!!!Budget 7k-14k

Hi friends,

My First post,i want to ask few things in regard with car audio system:-
I have got a new car and looking for options:-
Thess are the things that i have shortlisted:-

Headunit-Sony (Bluethooth)Forgot the model no.
Front Speakers-Hertz comps
Rear Speakers-Hertz Coax
AMP-?
Wirring-?
Damping-4 doors budget 2k-3k

I heard My friend's setup i liked the speakers he has, alot!so after audition the speakers were dead sure,didn't liked his HU,sound quality wasn't good!Moreover the AMP in his setup JBL 4 channel(Forgot model Name) was too bright for my taste,same song when heard on different media wasn't that bright,so i somehow made up my mind that i won't use this amp as it won't match to my type of music!

Music i listen to:-Jagit singh,Mahedi hassan,nusrat saab,punjabi traditional folk,Nora Johns,acdc,Micheal brook,instrumental to name few.

Which amp should i buy in range of 7k-14k,looking in power range of 100w/ch and taking future upgrades into consideration and which doesn't reproduces bright sound,i want to have warm sound bit laid back n relaxed sound in my car.And wiring???
Your views!
~Zombie~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 12:27   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zombie~ View Post
Headunit-Sony (Bluethooth)Forgot the model no.
Front Speakers-Hertz comps
Rear Speakers-Hertz Coax
AMP-?
Wirring-?
Damping-4 doors budget 2k-3k

Moreover the AMP in his setup JBL 4 channel(Forgot model Name) was too bright for my taste..Which amp should i buy in range of 7k-14k,looking in power range of 100w/ch and taking future upgrades into consideration and which doesn't reproduces bright sound,i want to have warm sound bit laid back n relaxed sound in my car.And wiring???
Your views!
As alternatives to JBL, why not try the Blau GT4 or Pio 6300 both cost about 7K. add 3-4K for damping and 2K for RCA wires.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 12:32   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,144 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zombie~ View Post
I heard My friend's setup i liked the speakers he has, alot!so after audition the speakers were dead sure,

didn't liked his HU,sound quality wasn't good!
Moreover the AMP in his setup JBL 4 channel(Forgot model Name) was too bright for my taste,
same song when heard on different media wasn't that bright,so i somehow made up my mind that i won't use this amp as it won't match to my type of music!
I have highlighted parts of your posts in bold and am badly confused. How could you attribute the brightness to first the HU, then to the JBL amp and not the speakers in either case when everything was plugged into one another and playing as a part of one unit? Did you ABX the speakers, amps, HU, etc? Please explain.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 12:50   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zombie~ View Post
I heard My friend's setup i liked the speakers he has, alot!so after audition the speakers were dead sure,didn't liked his HU,sound quality wasn't good!Moreover the AMP in his setup JBL 4 channel(Forgot model Name) was too bright for my taste,same song when heard on different media wasn't that bright,so i somehow made up my mind that i won't use this amp as it won't match to my type of music!

Which amp should i buy in range of 7k-14k,looking in power range of 100w/ch and taking future upgrades into consideration and which doesn't reproduces bright sound,i want to have warm sound bit laid back n relaxed sound in my car.And wiring???
Your views!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I have highlighted parts of your posts in bold and am badly confused. How could you attribute the brightness to first the HU, then to the JBL amp and not the speakers in either case when everything was plugged into one another and playing as a part of one unit? Did you ABX the speakers, amps, HU, etc? Please explain.

I tend to agree with Moralfibre here. You said that the HU and the AMP was bright. But our fellow member who has Hertz Energy speakers thing that they are bright for his taste. Maybe you can get all the model numbers so that we can suggest you some laid back speaker and amp and HU models.

Have you heard Illusion they are quite laid back and sounds very nice.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 13:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

I doubt the fact that the JBL amplifier was bright.

While the speakers are built in a more "americanized" & forward souding/dynamic, the amplifiers are not. I guess it complements the speakers - or it would become too bright/forward/dynamic.

I have heard JBL amps on some very dry and mellow speakers and realised the the amplifiers are fairly flat sounding and quite powerful. In fact the GTO75.4 is one of the most popular VFM SQ amplifiers today.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 11th October 2007 at 13:22.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 13:24   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Kenwood KAC-8401 @ around 7-8K (w/o B&W)
Alpine MRP-F450 @ 13490 (B&W)
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 13:40   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,652
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I have heard JBL amps on some very dry and mellow speakers and realised the the amplifiers are fairly flat sounding and quite powerful. In fact the GTO75.4 is one of the most popular VFM SQ amplifiers today.
Me too! Me too!

I didnt realise that my front 607 comps and 937s could perform so very well when put on 75.4; I was earlier using Pio 6100F to power those.

I can clearly hear the strings played (from the comps' tweeters) now!

Try JBL 75.4 on a Pio speaker and you'll understand what I wanna say.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 13:51   #8
BHPian
 
prince85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 967
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
In fact the GTO75.4 is one of the most popular VFM SQ amplifiers today.
Another amp to consider will be the Infinity Reference 475A which costs 15k (B & W).

Sam how does the Infinity 475A compare with the JBL GTO 75.4 in terms of Raw Power, SQ and other parameters which are considered while buying an amp??? I ask you this since the 475A doesn't seem to be a very popular amp even though its just 3k more expensive than the 75.4.

I assume the Infinity 475A amp will be more SQ oriented compared to the JBL 75.4. Correct me if i am wrong!! and please give us some expert opinions about the Infinity amp.

Cheers
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 14:30   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zombie~ View Post

didn't liked his HU,sound quality wasn't good! Moreover the AMP in his setup JBL 4 channel(Forgot model Name) was too bright for my taste,same song when heard on different media wasn't that bright,so i somehow made up my mind that i won't use this amp as it won't match to my type of music!
Was it 60.4 or 75.4?
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 14:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Another amp to consider will be the Infinity Reference 475A which costs 15k (B & W).

Sam how does the Infinity 475A compare with the JBL GTO 75.4 in terms of Raw Power, SQ and other parameters which are considered while buying an amp??? I ask you this since the 475A doesn't seem to be a very popular amp even though its just 3k more expensive than the 75.4.

I assume the Infinity 475A amp will be more SQ oriented compared to the JBL 75.4. Correct me if i am wrong!! and please give us some expert opinions about the Infinity amp.

Cheers
Correct on all counts (again!)
Indeed a good amplifier to consider will be that one.

I was not suggesting he buy a JBL amplifier, I was merely correcting Zombie's statement about the amplifier being bright.
The Ref475A is a superior amplifier undoubtedly. I'm not so sure about the raw power though in comparison to the GTO75.4
I suspect it is an excellent SQ amp though.

While I've enjoyed the amplifier, I have not done any extended or critical listening and would rather trust the opinion of a user here. Anyone?
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 14:58   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mohali
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I have highlighted parts of your posts in bold and am badly confused. How could you attribute the brightness to first the HU, then to the JBL amp and not the speakers in either case when everything was plugged into one another and playing as a part of one unit? Did you ABX the speakers, amps, HU, etc? Please explain.
Hi moralfibre,what is ABX?I am a novice for these things!What all i know is that i have heard these speakers in three different setups,same speakers with different HUs n different amps,in two setups(Pio+JBL+Hertz)(Pio+Pio+hertz) the overall sound was too bright where as the third one(Kenwood+kenwood+Hertz) was quited mellowed down so i thought the difference was cause of Headunit n amp! (EQ were set to flat level in all three setup)

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I tend to agree with Moralfibre here. You said that the HU and the AMP was bright. But our fellow member who has Hertz Energy speakers thing that they are bright for his taste. Maybe you can get all the model numbers so that we can suggest you some laid back speaker and amp and HU models.

Have you heard Illusion they are quite laid back and sounds very nice.
@low_bass_makker, to start with great name!!!read your posts you do make some serious bass!!I am open to other option for speakers,i have heard(Pio,JBL,Blauk,Sony,Hertz(latest addition)).But i am focussing right now on Amp!!Plz guide!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I doubt the fact that the JBL amplifier was bright.

While the speakers are built in a more "americanized" & forward souding/dynamic, the amplifiers are not. I guess it complements the speakers - or it would become too bright/forward/dynamic.

I have heard JBL amps on some very dry and mellow speakers and realised the the amplifiers are fairly flat sounding and quite powerful. In fact the GTO75.4 is one of the most popular VFM SQ amplifiers today.
@Sam no doubt the specs of 75.4 are great but some how i didn't liked it in a go......,hope you understand,see it's very senstive thing to discribe or put in words how does it sounds it's very hard for me!!
MAY be i shouldn't have written for 75.4 but it was the last amp i heard!
75.4 costs @13k???
~Zombie~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 10:11   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
While the speakers are built in a more "americanized" & forward souding/dynamic, the amplifiers are not..
JBL has a signature sound that people expect from it. So does Infinity. ANd this was before they were aquired by Harman Intl. The JBL story is rather long and a triffle sad (in parts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Another amp to consider will be the Infinity Reference 475A which costs 15k (B & W).
THat is an excellent idea but given teh budget is 14K and he does need 2K for wires and some money for the install the 75.4 might be a more affordable option.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 10:46   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
The Ref475A is a superior amplifier undoubtedly. I'm not so sure about the raw power though in comparison to the GTO75.4
I suspect it is an excellent SQ amp though.
As suggested by Sam Bhai go for the infinity amp it is a nice amp for the price it is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zombie~ View Post
Hi moralfibre,what is ABX?I am a novice for these things!What all i know is that i have heard these speakers in three different setups,same speakers with different HUs n different amps,in two setups(Pio+JBL+Hertz)(Pio+Pio+hertz) the overall sound was too bright where as the third one(Kenwood+kenwood+Hertz) was quited mellowed down so i thought the difference was cause of Headunit n amp! (EQ were set to flat level in all three setup)
Was the CD played on all the setup was the same ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zombie~ View Post
@low_bass_makker, to start with great name!!!read your posts you do make some serious bass!!I am open to other option for speakers,i have heard(Pio,JBL,Blauk,Sony,Hertz(latest addition)).But i am focussing right now on Amp!!Plz guide!
Ya about 152.7 db check it out here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ss_makker.html
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 15:10   #14
BHPian
 
anonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NCR
Posts: 564
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Kenwood KAC-8401 @ around 7-8K (w/o B&W)
Alpine MRP-F450 @ 13490 (B&W)
Can Gunbir or someone else confirm the price of Kenwood KAC-8401 in Delhi. I have been quoted 5800. Its looking really good in quoted price.

[COLOR=#22229c][/COLOR]

Last edited by anonymous : 21st December 2007 at 15:11.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 19:30   #15
BHPian
 
Magma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 355
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Can Gunbir or someone else confirm the price of Kenwood KAC-8401 in Delhi. I have been quoted 5800. Its looking really good in quoted price.

[COLOR=#22229c][/COLOR]

yes ive got quoted 5700rs here in lamigton road (mumbai)

i too require some inputs about choice of amp
the above KAC 8401
or the newer GT5 604 (i think)
speakers=illusion + GZ
car = i dont know yet(getting a hatchback in the beggining of 2008), the new family swift got hijacked!
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pista (my Indica Vista) turns 14k herculesksp Long-Term Ownership Reviews 0 18th September 2011 00:09
Music Setup for new swift under 14k Arihant.EXE In-Car Entertainment 7 4th April 2010 21:08
4-channel Soundstream Amp For Sale & MB Quart Q-Line 6.5" Component System QSD216 Bass&Trouble Shifting gears 7 19th March 2008 09:27
2 channel or 4 channel amp harry2223 In-Car Entertainment 14 19th February 2008 22:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks