Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 15th October 2007, 13:34   #1
BHPian

Talking ICE equipment from abroad?

Hello Team

My nams is Satish, from Bangalore and I am a Noobie here, and I must say that I am getting tons of information on this forum. Great work!! by people passionate about music!!
I recently bought a Swift Vxi..n yet to add any ice into it. I travel frequently to Bangkok n Kuala Lumpur on official work. Is it worthwhile picking up anything from these countries? or is it better to buy them in Bangalore itself?

What do the Gurus say? My budget is around 15k, I listen mostly to rock, some pop, instrumental and some regional music. I dont want loud thumping music, and I should be able to differentiate the sounds..
Thanks in advance for your suggestions
jvsatish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 13:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Satish, welcome to the ICE section.

Even though I can't give you a comparitive analysis, I can tell you that you'd have to sacrifice warranty, even though service may be available. If you're okay with it, you might as well buy the goods from the grey market since the price difference would not be high and you wouldn't have the hassles at the airport.

Besides, subwoofers and large amplifiers would be bulky and heavy to carry.

Cheers!
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 13:47   #3
BHPian

Rochsterraghu,
Not sure if I have understood your point regarding warranty sacrifice. How he will loose the warranty, if he adds ICE to this car?
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 13:53   #4
BHPian

Raghu is talking about the warranty on the speakers etc not the car
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 14:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Raghu is talking about the warranty on the speakers etc not the car
Absolutely. The car warranty stays intact irrespective of the source, provided everything is installed properly.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 14:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

And (other than the warranty-thing) you'd have to pay extra for installation.

If you buy stuff from the place you're installing it from, you may not have to pay extra for installation.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 14:35   #7
BHPian

its only worth the while if you are buying high-end stuff. ( 35-30k + per componenet ). For anythign cheaper its not worth the hassles. You can buy msot of the things at +- 10 % at the most here in India.
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 14:56   #8
BHPian

Hi sk456
Thanks for the suggestion, what you day does make sense. So if I have to get my swift ice'd in Bangalore, whom do I approach? will it b ok if I get the works done by people other than the Maruti dealer? Wont it void the warranty?
Old 15th October 2007, 15:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvsatish View Post
Hi sk456
Thanks for the suggestion, what you day does make sense. So if I have to get my swift ice'd in Bangalore, whom do I approach? will it b ok if I get the works done by people other than the Maruti dealer? Wont it void the warranty?
The warranty generally voids if the parts of the car have to be cut in order to fit the speakers or some other accessories... e.g. if you want to install a large sized speaker in the doors than the default space provided by the maruti
if you have to install a tray for speakers in the rear, or fit the speakers in the space provided by the maruti people, then the warranty is not voided...

and there are quite good installers in our city who do a very clean job...
Krato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 15:32   #10
BHPian

Well
One more point I'd like clarity on: may not be immediately but in the near future I'd like to go for amp and sub woofer also..so please suggest me a setup and a place in Bangalore for getting it done..
(Note: if this query makes sense on Swift Audio Thread, please fel free to move it there, thanks)
Old 15th October 2007, 16:04   #11
BANNED

my say -

it's only worth getting stuff from abroad if its worth more than 30K Rs. over there. (this also depends on what you are getting)
if your budget is between 15 to 20K, i'll advice you to stick to india. get a decent head unit, a pair of components and co axials.
saintsinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 16:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvsatish View Post
Well
One more point I'd like clarity on: may not be immediately but in the near future I'd like to go for amp and sub woofer also..so please suggest me a setup and a place in Bangalore for getting it done..
(Note: if this query makes sense on Swift Audio Thread, please fel free to move it there, thanks)
you can contact blueraven316 for variety of brands and a good install....
Krato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 13:06   #13
BHPian

Hi folks.

This thread seems quite old, but still was having a similar question so thought of posting it here.

I presently have a basic ice setup in my Santro comprising of a 2 channel Kenwood Amp, a 12"JBL sub in an enclosed box with sony 6x9s on the parcel tray and sony 4" in front.

The thing is that there is cousin of mine who'll be coming from the US this november.

I was thinking to upgrade my current setup.
What i was thinking of was to get a good amp from US, and replace the Current one or to wire the front 4" to the 2 channel and get the sub on a new 4 channel amp.

The other thing i have in mind is to get a new 4 channel amp and place it in my swift with the current sub i have and let the santro have the 2 channel with the 6x9s. The swift has the same speakers on the back and 6" sony at the front.

Just wanted to know, is it any good to buy stuff from the US ?
Does it turn out economical ?
Do i get better stuff there ?
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 17:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ICE equipment from abroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
... Just wanted to know, is it any good to buy stuff from the US ?
Does it turn out economical ?
Do i get better stuff there ?
You should buy only those stuff that is not available in India. It makes more sense to buy in India if a make/model is available in India with b&w, since that is an insurance that you won't get for the stuff bought in US.

For example, one can recommend the Infinity Reference 4" components for your Santro front speakers - miles ahead of the Sony 4" coaxials that you have now in clarity and detail. These are not available in India.

Amplifiers are better bought in India. The Kenwood 2-channel that you have - use it to drive the sub. Buy a Kenwood / Pio / Sony 4-channel (<6K) to drive the fronts and the 6x9s in the Santro.

In either car, if you are putting a sub, do use an amplifier for the front and rear speakers. Without an amp, tuning is extremely difficult as is geting a good image in front. If you have not experienced that so far, you are missing something.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 19:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
You should buy only those stuff that is not available in India. It makes more sense to buy in India if a make/model is available in India with b&w, since that is an insurance that you won't get for the stuff bought in US.

For example, one can recommend the Infinity Reference 4" components for your Santro front speakers - miles ahead of the Sony 4" coaxials that you have now in clarity and detail. These are not available in India.

Amplifiers are better bought in India. The Kenwood 2-channel that you have - use it to drive the sub. Buy a Kenwood / Pio / Sony 4-channel (<6K) to drive the fronts and the 6x9s in the Santro.

In either car, if you are putting a sub, do use an amplifier for the front and rear speakers. Without an amp, tuning is extremely difficult as is geting a good image in front. If you have not experienced that so far, you are missing something.
Thanks sir

Was just having a look at some ebay listings, where 4 channel amps from brands like rockford, alpine, polk audio and stuff were all < $200.
Are they so cheap in india as well ?

You mentioned at i should fetch an amp from india only.
Can i really get pio/sony/kenwood below 6 K ?

Even if i can, are they equally good as aplines and rockfords ?

Btw If not ice i'll ask him to get me an iPhone 5
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote