Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 19th October 2007, 23:57   #46
BHPian

Thumbs up SX4 (Integrated HU) Audio Thread!!

There are a few answers scattered here and there for us SX4 owners who are stuck with Factory Fitted HU and dont want to part with it (its so nicely integrated) and yet want to improve the Sound Quality overall.

So I thought I could put it all at one place, starting from a blank page as I am doing here.

I just want beautiful sound emanating from the speakers surrounding me, and for this, I was looking for suitable speakers, Sub and amp to accompany the malnourished Nippon.

Since the factory fitted HU is pretty limited (single pre-out), I would like some advice.

As specified by a few gurus here, my options seem to be;
1. Buy a pre-amplified subwoofer (Budget-10k)
2. Buy front components (Budget-5K)
3. Buy rear coaxials (Budget -3K)
4. Buy 4 Channel Amp like the revered GTO 75.4 II (Budget -10K)

Now the questions,

1. Is a pre-amplified sub recommended over monoblock driven sub OR 6 channel amp? What are pros and cons? If so, which one that may come around my budget?
2. I think the soundstage will completely move forward and rear passengers will just hear a whole lotta bass if rear coaxials are used with HU and if I drive the Sub from bridged 2 channels on the amp. No? What can be done for a nice balance then?
3. I am inclined towards buying JBL's all around. What all models could be suitable?
4. Will I require damping material? What does the gurus recommend?
5. Can I install all this at home? Here in Indore I dont think I would be able to find half decent installer.
6. The Cables. How do I connect all this? which Cables to use?
7. I use iPod on aux connection to the HU. Anything except Drive+Play II (Its too expensive) I can use to control iPod from say a steering mounted control? I looked at this: Welcome to Scosche Industries
but i am kinda vary of RF signals carrying my music. Hows SQ of this system if anyone has used it?

Phew!

Please advise me the correct configuration considering Single Pre-out that the HU has. Like many other SX4 owners, that SX4 HU is nicely integrated and dont want to loose it.
Thanks!
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 10:20   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
1. Buy a pre-amplified subwoofer (Budget-10k)
2. Buy front components (Budget-5K)
3. Buy rear coaxials (Budget -3K)
4. Buy 4 Channel Amp like the revered GTO 75.4 II (Budget -10K)

1. Is a pre-amplified sub recommended over monoblock driven sub OR 6 channel amp?
2. I think the soundstage will completely move forward and rear passengers will just hear a whole lotta bass if rear coaxials are used with HU and if I drive the Sub from bridged 2 channels on the amp.
3. I am inclined towards buying JBL's all around.
4. Will I require damping material? What does the gurus recommend?
5. Can I install all this at home?
6. The Cables.
7. I use iPod on aux connection to the HU...I can use to control iPod from say a steering mounted control?
a good "pre-amplified" sub will function as well as a good monoblock and sub. However the monoblock+sub combo will be cheaper. For starters the JBL 301.1 and GT5 sub combo for 16K is cheaper than any similar pre-amplifed sub.

If you fear the soundstage moving to the front and the rear passengers getting only bass use the fader.

For JBL, PM Sam. They have just introduced a GT5 series.

Dynamat extreme is good but expensive. I am using American Dynamics but there are other less expensive alternatives.

Yes you can install at home. You just need to be patient and good with tools and electricals.

For Power any good ISI grade power cabels will do. I use Polycab. Others use Finolex. For RCA Audisson or Monster make good cables costing about 1000-1400 per pair. There are more expensive cables ofcourse.

If you are using your existing HU I dont know how you expect it to control the Ipod. Few OEM HUs are capable of this and those are only in the high end Audi and Lexus type cars.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:30   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
a good "pre-amplified" sub will function as well as a good monoblock and sub. However the monoblock+sub combo will be cheaper. For starters the JBL 301.1 and GT5 sub combo for 16K is cheaper than any similar pre-amplifed sub.

If you are using your existing HU I dont know how you expect it to control the Ipod. Few OEM HUs are capable of this and those are only in the high end Audi and Lexus type cars.

Thanks Navin! I dint know that pre-amplified subs were that costly!

I am watching the GT5 thread eagerly for Sam's announcement of product launches.

Btw, I dont plan to control iPod using the existing HU. I just want a straighter simpler steering wheel kinda remote which will do basic iPod song control like skipping tracks, volume level etc. I feel its cumbersome to pick up the iPod while its connected to aux and controlling it using its wheel.

Time to do some more research! :-)
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

@sids911, there is another (roundabout) option.

I've seen a wireless remote for the iPod by a decent brand called YES. (I'm sure other brands will have this too). This is an RF remote, and the iPod-end (the receiver) attaches to the dock-connector. A wireless remote (quite small - very similar to the Pio steering remotes) does the "controlling". Now this remote is not a steering remote, but you can either fix it to the steering with some jugaad, or just use it like a regular remote.

If you'd like to use the iPod with the HU via aux-in, you can use this remote to do the remote control. Since the HU can't do the "controlling", I think this could be a good via-media

EDIT: The remote I mean is similar to the AirClick shown here: iPod Remote Controls @ The iPod Accessories Store

Last edited by hydrashok : 22nd October 2007 at 13:01.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:48   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post

I just want a straighter simpler steering wheel kinda remote which will do basic iPod song control like skipping tracks, volume level etc. I feel its cumbersome to pick up the iPod while its connected to aux and controlling it using its wheel.
You can do it by connecting the iPod to HU with the help of a full-speed cable. Plus, you'll need to have the steering controls controlling the HU. If you're going to use the current controls on a new HU, I think it will need some modification.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 21:14   #51
BHPian

hi friends. got to know from a car accessories shop in mumbai that the sx 4 hu can be replaced and the steering controls can be used with other hu's. but u will have to connect it with some kind of after market circuit costing 6k. any one knows about this?
man_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 22:21   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_1 View Post
hi friends. got to know from a car accessories shop in mumbai that the sx 4 hu can be replaced and the steering controls can be used with other hu's. but u will have to connect it with some kind of after market circuit costing 6k. any one knows about this?
You get aftermarket Dash kits and wiring harnesses which can do the trick, now, the only thing I don't know about yet is integrating the steering vol control to the HU, though I have seen such a setup done on a Corolla with a Pio 7850DVD player.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 23:50   #53

Well Guys Navin has tried to help but still no clear answers exist,Still quiet confusing, Gurus plz help, am trying to brief it point wise plz , plz help

1. Stock Nippon HU is 45*4 W with one pre -out ,Can i use a 4 channel amplifier with this pre out.
2. Can i get a HU that can be equally good as the stock HU in terms of fiton the dash board
3. Is the Nippon HU capable enough to handle other company components and co-axials (e.g i have sounstream compnents 150 w RMs and co-axials of 120 w RMS )
4. Can the audio controls on steering wheelbe used if we change the HU , if yes how and what is the cost and any dealer in MUMBAI, also what happens to warranty
5. I have Sounstream 6" Components(150w RMS),6" Coaxilas(90 w RMS),6*9 Co-Axials(120W RMS) 4channel amplifier 360W RMS , 12" woofer 300W RMS, how do i use these with the NIPPON HU

Gurus i think i have pretty simplified our points, PLZ do help us with it
nilesh111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 23:57   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
You can do it by connecting the iPod to HU with the help of a full-speed cable. Plus, you'll need to have the steering controls controlling the HU. If you're going to use the current controls on a new HU, I think it will need some modification.
No new HU for me (unless its the one which comes OE with European SX4 AND not too expensive!). I like the flush fit of the OE HU's.
Btw, what is a full-speed cable?
Old 23rd October 2007, 00:07   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post

If you'd like to use the iPod with the HU via aux-in, you can use this remote to do the remote control. Since the HU can't do the "controlling", I think this could be a good via-media

EDIT: The remote I mean is similar to the AirClick shown here: iPod Remote Controls @ The iPod Accessories Store
Doesnt that RF transmitter connect to the lower side of iPod, completely covering the Headphone/Aux port?

This seems like a good solution. Even comes with a Velcro strap for steering wheel mount.
Old 24th October 2007, 06:39   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesh111 View Post
5. I have Sounstream 6" Components(150w RMS),6" Coaxilas(90 w RMS),6*9 Co-Axials(120W RMS) 4channel amplifier 360W RMS , 12" woofer 300W RMS, how do i use these with the NIPPON HU
Connect using line-level adaptors.
use 6" components in front.6x9s rear tray or 6"Coax in stock rear door locations.
bridge 2 channels of the 4ch to power the sub. and the rest of the 2 channels go to Front comps.
rear speakers wether 6x9 or 6" would have to be run off the HU.
Gurus..am i right?
arpandiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 09:11   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesh111 View Post
1. Stock Nippon HU is 45*4 W with one pre -out ,Can i use a 4 channel amplifier with this pre out.
2. Can i get a HU that can be equally good as the stock HU in terms of fiton the dash board
3. Is the Nippon HU capable enough to handle other company components and co-axials (e.g i have sounstream compnents 150 w RMs and co-axials of 120 w RMS )
4. Can the audio controls on steering wheelbe used if we change the HU , if yes how and what is the cost and any dealer in MUMBAI, also what happens to warranty
you can connect a 4 ch amp to one pair of pre outs but you will loose the front/rear fader. you can set these relative levels once by using the presets on the amps but that is still a limited solution.

Most HUs are better than most OEM Hus. OEM Hus are built a price point. A very tight price point.

Most HUs (OEM or not) have standard output voltages and hence are compatible with most amps and speakers

To control a non OEM HU with the steering wheel controls one needs to get a special harness. Usually this is made by teh HU manufacturer for various car models. Since the Suzuki and SX4 is not a popular car models/brands abroad this will be a tough find. If one was a ambitious DIY one should be able to juggad such a cable; after all the steering controls are just a set of cables. there is little intellienge in them.

like i said earler you have too many speakers and too few amplifers. you need a good mono amp and you dont need the 6" coax or 6x9 coax. You can stick the 6" components in the front doors. if the SX4 has rear speakers in the rear doors use teh 6" coax. if the SX4 uses the rear deck use the 6x9. then get a mono block to driven the sub from the single pair of pre out. Use a speaker level to line level adapter to drive the 4 ch. amp from the speaker level outs of the SX4's HU. The 4 ch amp will drive the front components and the rear (door or deck but not both) speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
You get aftermarket Dash kits and wiring harnesses which can do the trick, now, the only thing I don't know about yet is integrating the steering vol control to the HU, though I have seen such a setup done on a Corolla with a Pio 7850DVD player.
Corolla is much more popular than the SX4 hence thse cables are available for the Corolla. Alpine for example makes a cable for the Octavia but not for any Suzuki car.
Old 24th October 2007, 15:37   #58
BANNED

check gunbir's install here -

he retained the CRV's steering remote on a pioneer HU, using an IR something (sorry don't know whats it called)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...onda-cr-v.html
saintsinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 01:28   #59
BHPian

well people i changed the stock speakers with jbl 507 c compos, infinity 9263i coaxs and sony xm-zr604 amp. but the output is only good at hihgervolume like 30 or more than 30. to cut it short the hu is pathetic. our mods and other friends people give u r suggestions i am confused.which hu would be more suitable for sx 4 as it is a dual din cd player.plz help.
man_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 09:22   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_1 View Post
well people i changed the stock speakers with jbl 507 c compos, infinity 9263i coaxs and sony xm-zr604 amp. but the output is only good at hihgervolume like 30 or more than 30. to cut it short the hu is pathetic. our mods and other friends people give u r suggestions i am confused.which hu would be more suitable for sx 4 as it is a dual din cd player.plz help.
try turning the gains of the amp up a bit.