Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 31st October 2007, 15:34   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Ajay, I found out a guy who can make inductors here in Pune. Can you further guide on what I need to ask him to make? I have a pair of Illusion EL 6.1 set XO's lying with me. We could put them to use?
Why do you want to make inductors (unless that is the DIY project)? You get established xo designs - with certain limitations as gurus will tell you - on the net. All you need is to buy components from one of those bowels (*peth) of Pune and you can get going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
You got that X2 for Rs. 5000/- only!!?? That's a great price!
Great? That's a whole-lot-of-unprintable-get-banned-from-forum-adjectives price!

Related query: Is an open box (claimed brand new) SRX1 worth 200 USD? What is the price of a new one here? That price seems too low to be true (just like in this case). Any comments?

Last edited by determinus : 31st October 2007 at 15:37.
determinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 15:46   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
MF, you want me to create a new thread in the DIY section by that name? I thought any member can do that. you dont need to be a Mod to create a thread.
I wanted you to create a thread because it would be easier for you to move the relevant posts from this thread to the new one.

Quote:
before you go making inductors I suggest you download Clio, Calsod, or LSpCad Lite, etc.. and simulate the existing EL 6.1 XO. The EL 6.1 XO is designed specifically for the drivers (all speaker companies do this). It takes into consideration the frequency response, power handling, excursion capabilities and other driver specifications.
Are the softwares listed above, open source or do I need to purchase licenses for these?

Quote:
What these XO do not (and cannot) take into complete consideration is listener preference, driver installtion, etc..
Once you modelled the existing XO you can then tinker with the components and see what the change in each component does to teh phase, freq and power respone of the individal drivers and the system as a whole. It is not that tough, this post makes it look tougher than it is.
Latin for now. Will see how it goes.

Quote:
What you need to keep in mind
1. tweeters are fragile. their excusion limits can be easily exceeded and you can blow them that way. Their thermal limits aare better but alos limited.
2. midranges and midwoofers ofnte have break up modes in th upper midrange. this is more common for the "exotic" stiff matierals such as kevlar, aluminum, carbon fiber etc..
3. phase response is critical. Try to keep phase within 45 deg. This is TOUGHER than it looks.
I shall keep this in mind Navin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Why do you want to make inductors (unless that is the DIY project)? You get established xo designs - with certain limitations as gurus will tell you - on the net. All you need is to buy components from one of those bowels (*peth) of Pune and you can get going.
Its a DIY project buddy .

Quote:
Related query: Is an open box (claimed brand new) SRX1 worth 200 USD? What is the price of a new one here? That price seems too low to be true (just like in this case). Any comments?
If you saw this at Poona motors then it belongs to fellow member Vikram_18. If you are interested in a SRX1 (to store in your cupboard) then you can contact Vikram. Otherwise put the CS60.4 I sourced for you to good use
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 12:21   #78
BHPian

Quote:
If you saw this at Poona motors then it belongs to fellow member Vikram_18. If you are interested in a SRX1 (to store in your cupboard) then you can contact Vikram. Otherwise put the CS60.4 I sourced for you to good use
Vikram who switched to Genesis, right? I thought he had SX4 and a GTO mono. But if he is selling, esp at "nice" prices, I am interested You can always find a car to plug them in.
determinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 12:30   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Vikram who switched to Genesis, right? I thought he had SX4 and a GTO mono. But if he is selling, esp at "nice" prices, I am interested You can always find a car to plug them in.
He is selling both. I stand corrected. It is an SRx4 and a GTO 301.1. PM him.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:32   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are the softwares listed above, open source or do I need to purchase licenses for these?
they have free and paid versions. the free versions are crippled but will do for now.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 21:42   #81
BHPian

He could also consider the SRx5
50/75x4 @4/2ohms + 180x1 @4ohms

It has a Multichannel option to run 3-way components

The front channel drives the 4" mid-range + tweeter, which is connected to the X-over supplied by the speaker manufacturer.

The rear channel drives the woofer, and the X-over point for this can be adjusted between 50 ~ 400Hz, so the rear channel is basically a bandpass with a fixed 12db slope.

The sub channel drives the subwoofer, again its X-over point can be adjusted between 50 ~ 220Hz with a fixed 12db slope!
shrivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 21:46   #82

can someone please suggest if and how i can fit in this HU

Kenwood DDX7039M
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 14:32   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
can someone please suggest if and how i can fit in this HU

Kenwood DDX7039M
bret, i am sorry i could not respond to your PM. I was a bit busy. have not slept much.

the 7039 is a Dual DIN HU and should fit into a Laura but will occupy both slots. I have not seen the Laura dash but my Octy's dash can take a double DIN HU and I assume your Laura is similar.

PM Gunbir or Bass & Trouble has they have worked on a Laura and he will/should know. after the last fiasco they will also be a bit more careful in double checking the details bfore replying! :-) ha ha.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote