Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 23rd October 2007, 07:37   #1
BHPian

Default ICE for Station Wagons (Fiat Adventure)

HI
I am going to get one Adventure. I want to know what woould be the right combination of headunits and speakers in it. Adventure comes with wiring of 6 speakers, also when it was launched in 2002 it use to come with some kenwood headunit and 6 speakers.
Earlier i was going with Blaupunkt MP57 headunit with 4 speakers, but i doubt that whether it would be sufficient to create enough effect for the huge boot space.
Please guide me into finalising the best ICE for my Adventure, as i put nice ICE effect as a priority. My budget is within 20K.

Thanks and Regards
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
HI
I am going to get one Adventure. Adventure comes with wiring of 6 speakers, also when it was launched in 2002 it use to come with some kenwood headunit and 6 speakers.
Earlier i was going with Blaupunkt MP57 headunit with 4 speakers, but i doubt that whether it would be sufficient to create enough effect for the huge boot space.
The MP57 is a good HU. But givne that your budget is 20K I think you'd need to get something less expensive so you have enough left for speakers and an amp.

HU: 6K
amp: 7K
4 coax speakers: 7K
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:27   #3
BHPian

Default navin

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The MP57 is a good HU. But givne that your budget is 20K I think you'd need to get something less expensive so you have enough left for speakers and an amp.

HU: 6K
amp: 7K
4 coax speakers: 7K
Hi navin
I can stetch the budget upto 25K, and one of important requirement of HU is that it should have USB port compatibility, so that i can her songs from my USB mp3 player also.
I think the MP-57 costs around 14K. other one is MP47 its around 11K.
The guy at blaupunkt told me that apart from this i will need 4 blaupunkt speakers ata cost of 900 each.
As this is my first car, I am not aware of what all are the components of a ICE, like apart from Head Unit what else should be there in terms of speakers?
So can you elaborate this a bit more?
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

You could retain your blaupunkt HU & get yourself an amp & 4 speakers with the 20k budget & still smile.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi navin
I can stetch the budget upto 25K
I think the MP-57 costs around 14K. other one is MP47 its around 11K.
The guy at blaupunkt told me that apart from this i will need 4 blaupunkt speakers ata cost of 900 each.
The 57 is worth the 3K difference just for it's better display.

If you are interested in Blaupunkt, I would consider the Thc 662 or 542 for the front and Thx 662 or 542 for the rear and a Blau GT4 amp (7K). The 542 will make less bass than the 662.

The Thc/Thx series is a big jump from the GT series. If you cant afford the Blau Thc/Thx series consider JBL's GT5 series along side Blau's GT series.

with a 25K budget I'd spend about 1/3rd (7K) on the amp, 1/3 (9K) on the HU and 1/3 (9K) on the speakers. Since you are looking at a more expensive HU then you'd have to compromise elsewhere.

Last edited by navin : 23rd October 2007 at 10:15.
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HI
I am going to get one Adventure.
Sorry for OT, but are you getting a new one, or second, I thought Fiat/Tata has stopped selling it.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
As this is my first car, I am not aware of what all are the components of a ICE, like apart from Head Unit what else should be there in terms of speakers?
So can you elaborate this a bit more?
if possible, go through a friend or any known person, who is an employee of Bosch and you will get 15% discount on the Blau products.
Krato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:30   #8
BHPian

Default Navin

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The 57 is worth the 3K difference just for it's better display.

If you are interested in Blaupunkt, I would consider the Thc 662 or 542 for the front and Thx 662 or 542 for the rear and a Blau GT4 amp (7K). The 542 will make less bass than the 662.

The Thc/Thx series is a big jump from the GT series. If you cant afford the Blau Thc/Thx series consider JBL's GT5 series along side Blau's GT series.

with a 25K budget I'd spend about 1/3rd (7K) on the amp, 1/3 (9K) on the HU and 1/3 (9K) on the speakers. Since you are looking at a more expensive HU then you'd have to compromise elsewhere.
Hmmmm
OK so what you are suggesting is preferably HU should be 1/3rd of total budget and equal impotance has to be given to the Speakers and Aplifiers (i suppose thats way "amp" means).
What I know about the diff between MP47 & MP57 is that later has bluetooth connectivity with your cellphone, and you can recive your calls through it, apart from that you said that MP57 is basically better in its display. I can compromise on both the parts and can spend the 3K diff on speakers and amplifiers.
Navin I am not inclined towards Blaupunkt, its just that dealer gave me specs abt blaupunkt only. My basic necessity with HU was that i need USB MP3 player connectivity along with basic features like CD, FM etc etc but above all good voice qualirty.
So with these functionality can you suggest any other model any good brand?
And apart from it what other components are required like as you have mentioned Amplifiers, but do i need to get Tweeters and Woofers separately or it is integrated into same speakers? Also i dont want any special enclosures to mount my speakers, as i am looking forward to use my boot space.
And the point of whetehr to go for 6 or 4 speakers is also there.
Old 25th October 2007, 10:37   #9
BHPian

Hello all Gurus
No suggestions since two days and this thread has been viewed 91 times.
I dont know whats the reason, Seems either the budget of 25K is too small, or the Gurus are not interested in this topic.
Please guide me as i have to finalise this by this Saturday 27th Oct.
Regards
Old 25th October 2007, 13:31   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...this thread has been viewed 91 times...Seems either the budget of 25K is too small, or the Gurus are not interested in this topic.
Like I said earlier one option is to consider a HU that is not a Blaupunkt. Pio makes a HU that sells for 7-8K without BILL and Warranty but it has a USB port. I dont know of a HU that has a USB port that sells for under 10K with Bill and Warratny. have you investigated JVC HUs? they provide some very good VFM options.
Old 25th October 2007, 13:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

@hsraghav, no budget is too small!

Front speakers
: 6.5" 2-way comps. The stock location will take only 5.25", but depending on th speaker chosen, you can go upto 6.5" with a spacer and still retain the stock grille. The Palio has the same stock location & grille. I'd installed a 6.5" GT series from Blau and a 6.5" ODx693 from Blau back when my doors were bone stock. Both were fitter without a spacer. But the ODx needed a bit of tapping around the opening (on the door for the speaker) to get the edges shaped a bit to accommodate the speaker.

You have lots of choices of brands - Hertz Dieci series comps (6k) or JBL CS series comps (4K) or JBL GTO series comps (6.5K) or Alpine E type comps (8K, I think), Blau TH series comps (4.5K) or GT series comps (3.5K I think) etc etc.

Rear speakers: The stock locations will take only 4" speakers. Again, with a spacer-thing, you can get 5.25" coaxials installed. Go for the same series and brand of speaker you choose for the fronts. You'd need to spend about 3K to 5K max.

HU: Buy one that sounds good to you, and one that has the features you need. A budget of about 8K will get you a pretty good HU wit USB. A Pio 7950 (at about 8K) is a good option and is very popular on the forum. You'll get JVCs with lots of features and USB for 6-7K, but they may not sound as good to you as the Pios do. In any case, the size of the HU has to the single DIN (the regular type of HU you see on most cars). Blau's are not always VFM at the B&W price.

Amp: At a budget of 20K, you'll probably need to limit the expenditure on the amp to no more than 6K. The Blau GT4 special (4-ch amp) is about 6K. You'll get a much better Pio 6700 4-ch amp for about 7K.

If you search the forum, you'll get lots of reviews of nearly all the brands I've mentioned.

If you buy a component speaker, you will get a tweeter, a woofer, and a crossover (or Inline filter). No need to buy them all separately. If you buy a coaxial speaker, the tweeter is integrated into the speaker itself, and you don't need to buy one separately. So either way, don't buy a tweeter separately. Especially if it is the Pioneer TS20
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 22:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@hsraghav, no budget is too small!

Front speakers: 6.5" 2-way comps. The stock location will take only 5.25", but depending on th speaker chosen, you can go upto 6.5" with a spacer and still retain the stock grille. The Palio has the same stock location & grille. I'd installed a 6.5" GT series from Blau and a 6.5" ODx693 from Blau back when my doors were bone stock. Both were fitter without a spacer. But the ODx needed a bit of tapping around the opening (on the door for the speaker) to get the edges shaped a bit to accommodate the speaker.
What is this spacer and tapping thing, how is it done and does it damage the doors?

Quote:
Rear speakers: The stock locations will take only 4" speakers. Again, with a spacer-thing, you can get 5.25" coaxials installed. Go for the same series and brand of speaker you choose for the fronts. You'd need to spend about 3K to 5K max.
hmmmm is it good to have both rear and front speakers from same brand??
and what do you have to say about 6x9 speakers??

Old 4th November 2007, 10:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is this spacer and tapping thing, how is it done and does it damage the doors?
Relax, Raghav. A spacer ring is installed to accommodate a slightly larger speaker in the default slot. Sometimes, when the speaker won't fit in, the edges on the slot have to be tapped a little. And no, it won't damage the doors in anyway.

Here, this picture should help - it was done on a Swift.

Quote:
hmmmm is it good to have both rear and front speakers from same brand??

At least I prefer it that way. I think it is better to have the same brand.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2007, 15:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
A 4" coaxial itself will not be a bad idea, especially since they are fillers anyways. I have Infinity 4012i at the rear of my Adventure and though they are weak (30w), driven from the HU, they work great and sounds very very neutral. I paid about 3k for them, should be cheaper now. There are other brands who make good 4" coaxial as well, of course.
determinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2007, 19:43   #15
BHPian

I was also thinking of 6x9 at rear, but i have few apprehensions like
1) Since it will be installed on the cardboard to cover the boot area, so it would be cut to accommodate the speakers. So would it give rattling or it will bump at rough roads?
2) And would it be possible to remove them easily(and then put back again) if i want to use the full boot space?
So I have inclination towards only the speakers which can be fitted into the stock locations. But Voice clarity is utmost important for me, so can i really on 4 or 5.25" speakers for that?