Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 30th October 2007, 13:29   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
).
Is there any HU that reads (and by reads I mean reads fast) and charges any other mp3 player than iPods? Unfortunately, most HU manufacturers are too busy kissing Steve Job's bottom and haven't really bothered to provide solutions for other brands.
OT: Nice to see that happening. If nothing else at least in the world of handheld MP3 players.

Otherwise the most kissed bum in the history of the world has always belonged to a certain Mr. Gates.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008, 15:32   #32
BHPian

I was just wondering. Googling didn't help. We have ipods and the like. These are a music player and a hard disk in one package. Is there anything available in the market that is just the music player, with only a usb connector and a headphone jack? Something to which you could connect your hdd and listen on the headphones?
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008, 17:11   #33
BHPian

Never come across anything like that. What would you want it for?
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008, 19:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
I was just wondering. Googling didn't help. We have ipods and the like. These are a music player and a hard disk in one package. Is there anything available in the market that is just the music player, with only a usb connector and a headphone jack? Something to which you could connect your hdd and listen on the headphones?
There are, but they never reach production runs since there is no mass-market outside the world of a few techies!

Alternately, there are a few portable "media player hard disks" (Sam had one for some time, maybe he still has that piece) which have a small LCD screen and are self-contained video, audio and photo players. Works like a passport-drive otherwise with a PC.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 10:02   #35
BHPian

I carry a hard disk around most of the time, with back up data and music. I listen to the music plugging it into my laptop. One day I was sitting around with the laptop shut down. That was when I thought, that maybe if I had a tiny battery operated player, I could plug it into my hard disk and listen to the music. That is the only use this player would have for me. The ipod has its own software and it does not let me save data files.
Old 3rd March 2008, 11:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I carry a hard disk around most of the time, with back up data and music. I listen to the music plugging it into my laptop. One day I was sitting around with the laptop shut down. That was when I thought, that maybe if I had a tiny battery operated player, I could plug it into my hard disk and listen to the music. That is the only use this player would have for me. The ipod has its own software and it does not let me save data files.
Have to disagree with you that ipod can't store data files Sorry!!
nripin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 11:34   #37
BHPian

Default HD Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I don't think the format of the file has any role to play in the battery drainage at all!
iPods typically have a 32MB SDRAM chip. At the start of the song it spins the HD drive (not applicable to flash drives in the nano) and loads the song into its RAM. The drive stops spinning after this.
Whereas with lossless formats it cannot load the entire song into the ram and the HD spins all along draining battery.
For this reason Apple recommends under 9MB audio files, which can be achieved using iTunes.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 11:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nripin View Post
I think iPod can store data files if you enable disk use. It basically makes it like a portable HDD
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 13:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nripin View Post
I see. Have to check that. The moment I connect it, the Itunes program opens and then all I can do is copy media files. Will check this feature.
Old 3rd March 2008, 13:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see. Have to check that. The moment I connect it, the Itunes program opens and then all I can do is copy media files. Will check this feature.
As soon as your iTunes opens up, you can go to the summary tab and check the box saying "Enable Disk Usage"
So the next time you plug in your iPod, your comp will say "New Hardware found" and will show your iPod in "My Computer" as a removable disk
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 19:26   #41
BHPian

Thanks Nishantgandhi. I can't seem to find my ipod right now. I will check later. Thanks again for the lead.