Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 30th June 2009, 18:33   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
B&T/FB/LBM,
Did either of you guys have trouble integrating the horns HF section with the conventional midbass. In FB's case his horns do duty between a conventiona midbass and "super tweeter". In my experience I found that exponential horns gave the sound a very different timber that could not be matched by a conventional bass system making the horn feel more "in your face" and the bass section feel laid back.
Well, till now, as far as output/timbre matching b/w horns and midbass goes, things sound pretty fine, atleast to my ears. The Dyns are pretty dynamic and agile sounding drivers which should get better as they break in. They are getting enough power too, I think, to avoid running out of steam before the horns at all sane listening levels.

Quote:
Maybe it is often the kind of music one listens to. Many forums have had users of horns complain that horns are great for pop/rock and stuff that demands a dynamic system but can be painfull on strings, horns and brass instruments
Have been mixing genres over the last few days and nothing so far has stood out as ragged or unpleasant. Bad recordings are NOT blessed by the system but that's a different story.

I will update once the midbasses break-in and tuning is complete....
Flying Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 15:00   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
Well, till now, as far as output/timbre matching b/w horns and midbass goes, things sound pretty fine, atleast to my ears.
Have been mixing genres over the last few days and nothing so far has stood out as ragged or unpleasant.
I am assuming the horns you have use compression drivers.

Thanks for the feedback FB. Did you feel the need for a super tweeter? Also with the super tweeter so far from the mouth of the mid-hf horn do you hear any comb filtering?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 15:45   #213
BHPian

Quote:
I am assuming the horns you have use compression drivers.

Thanks for the feedback FB. Did you feel the need for a super tweeter? Also with the super tweeter so far from the mouth of the mid-hf horn do you hear any comb filtering?
The supertweeters kick in at 10khz. Would any comb filtering occuring at these frequencies and beyond be audible? Am guessing I would have to first deal with bigger and more audible potential comb filtering issues due to PLD b/w left and right midbasses, horns and reflections from various surfaces in the car. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.
Old 1st July 2009, 16:12   #214
Senior - BHPian

Since the P80 has three way setup. How is the Super-tweeter working ?
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 17:28   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Hertz HT20R supertweeters have been installed in the sail panel running off the HU via supplied passives.
Sorry should have posted this separately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Since the P80 has three way setup. How is the Super-tweeter working ?
Old 1st July 2009, 19:39   #216
BHPian

Darn it..should have insisted on the demo the other day. Now curiousity will certainly kill the cat.
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 21:04   #217
Senior - BHPian

DAYUUUUUMMN bong. I covet your setup! Even more than the fact that I need a new car badly!! my most favourite component in your car has to be a tough toss up between the Mille Sub (they dont make them like that anymore) and the Genesis Dual Mono. The Dynaudio midbasses are power hungry and the best way to power them is to give them over 300W each!
shucks Bong, I absolutely got jolted out of my sleep on seeing the nirvana that your system is!
cheers!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 02:41   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
DAYUUUUUMMN bong. I covet your setup! Even more than the fact that I need a new car badly!! my most favourite component in your car has to be a tough toss up between the Mille Sub (they dont make them like that anymore) and the Genesis Dual Mono. The Dynaudio midbasses are power hungry and the best way to power them is to give them over 300W each!
shucks Bong, I absolutely got jolted out of my sleep on seeing the nirvana that your system is!
cheers!
hmmm... typical and most common feeling on ICE section, i share the same thought and feeling on looking at bong's setup, heck this kind of audiophile grade components is only a dream at the moment for me, hope this materials one day for me.

awesome setup flying bong. Congrats.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 09:59   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The supertweeters kick in at 10khz. Would any comb filtering occuring at these frequencies and beyond be audible?

reflections from various surfaces in the car. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.
2. yes all those reflections are going to pose a greater issue than comb filtering. in a more critical enviroment comb filtering etc.. would be more audible. Remember comb filtering is more noticeable near field than far field. The car is a near field enviroment.

1. There is some research that shows that if the drviers are located at a distance that is more than L*10 where L is the wavelength then comb fitler effects are really diminished. assume F=10K, c=340m/s, L=340/10K=3.4cm. So if the drivers are 34cm apart the comb filtering might not be noticeable even in a more critical enviroment.

This reseach cam to light when experiements for configurations of center channel speakers (for HT) were being conducted.So a config that was T MM T where the Ts were say 160cm (2K XO) apart showed little audible comb filtering.

I have answered in reverse and it makes more sense that way.

Quote:
a tough toss up between the Mille Sub (they dont make them like that anymore) and the Genesis Dual Mono.
Think of it this way.
Mile Sub = 20 RCs with caps
Genesis Mono = 30 RCs with caps.
with appologies to dentists everywhere.

When you graduate I am gonna give you a laminated version of this
The Crocodile's Toothache - Shel Silverstein

the video

Last edited by navin : 2nd July 2009 at 10:05.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:59   #220
BHPian

Quote:
When you graduate I am gonna give you a laminated version of this
The Crocodile's Toothache - Shel Silverstein
Frank, you run Eclipse CD7200MKII, DLS Reference RA20 and Genesis P1 in your car, and you aren't even a graduate?! Dayummnnnn man!
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 15:02   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Darn it..should have insisted on the demo the other day. Now curiousity will certainly kill the cat.
Coming weekend hopefully...

Quote:
cheers!
I am running a DM not a DMX

Yeah Mille sub is a gem....not parting with this one....ever.

Quote:
2. yes all those reflections are going to pose a greater issue than comb filtering. in a more critical enviroment comb filtering etc.. would be more audible. Remember comb filtering is more noticeable near field than far field. The car is a near field enviroment.

1. There is some research that shows that if the drviers are located at a distance that is more than L*10 where L is the wavelength then comb fitler effects are really diminished. assume F=10K, c=340m/s, L=340/10K=3.4cm. So if the drivers are 34cm apart the comb filtering might not be noticeable even in a more critical enviroment.

This reseach cam to light when experiements for configurations of center channel speakers (for HT) were being conducted.So a config that was T MM T where the Ts were say 160cm (2K XO) apart showed little audible comb filtering.

I have answered in reverse and it makes more sense that way.
Thanks for clarifying this so lucidly
Old 7th July 2009, 20:23   #222
Senior - BHPian

Killer setup, FB! Good to know you found the holy grail at last. The setup must sound heavenly! *envy*
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 22:03   #223
Senior - BHPian

Damn how i had missed this, Fabulous upgrades was waiting for this to happen. Do write about the difference you feel between the 2 CHAMELEON"S and DYNA'S i know it lill funny to compare both but will love to hear it.

Congrats !!!
karankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 11:12   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Killer setup, FB! Good to know you found the holy grail at last. The setup must sound heavenly! *envy*
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
Damn how i had missed this, Fabulous upgrades was waiting for this to happen. Do write about the difference you feel between the 2 CHAMELEON"S and DYNA'S i know it lill funny to compare both but will love to hear it.

Congrats !!!
Thanks. Dyn midbass driver is more articulate than the Chameleons but at the same time sounds more natural, across the frequency range. Midbass in particular is fast and snappy, and there is lots of it
Old 10th July 2009, 21:35   #225
BHPian

Congrats Mate! Must be close to Nirvana!

Dyn mid-bass is a direct fit to the slot or slot needs some adjustment?It's 7".
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote