Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 12th November 2007, 11:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
great. go to onlinecarstereo.com, crutchfield.com and get more confused. sony doesn't have 3-way at least in the india line up.
be a bit wary about onlinecarstereo.com, caraudiosecurity.com might be a better bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Congratulations for the Laura DSG. Glad you picked that car over Skoda RS. I'm happy sense prevailed and you said a Firm NO to the "Slush Engine"..
what is a "Slush Engine"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
i haven't heard too many speaker systems but to give you an example i love the bose wave radio.it have perfect everything an less of treble.

and what ever bass is there should be tight and punchy.not fluffly.it should be there in extremely short bursts.

that is why i was initially looking for small 8" sub
1. i think you are refereing to the coherence of the bose single driver. most single driver systems (fostex, jordan, lowther, etc..) do this.

2. there is no rule that says big woofers cannot produce tight bass. in many cases it is the room/install that is at fault. using (a) isobarik or (b) aperiodic configurations one can produce tight bass in a small box even with big woofers. The idea is to target a Qtc around 0.5-0.6. stick to drivers with a resonable Qms and Mms. It is todays fascination with big Xmax that drives many woofers to produce bass that is not snappy.
Old 12th November 2007, 11:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

ok that was a bit OHT(over head transmission).
i'm not that educated with technical details of sound systems.

well i was not saying that big subwoofers cannot produce tight bass.

the point is that i like tight bass but i don't like it too much.

thats why, why spend on a big sub when the same can be done with a smaller one.correct me if i'm wrong.like what advantages does a bigger sub have over a smaller one other than the power and spl.
Old 12th November 2007, 11:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

by the way what scaryskulls was refering to was the "sludge engine" and not the "slush engine".

the VW 1.8T engine is known to have engine sludge problem. that is over time the engine oil forms a gel type substance

its not a problem with indian engines as they use synthetic oil from day one.
Old 12th November 2007, 11:57   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
thats why, why spend on a big sub when the same can be done with a smaller one.correct me if i'm wrong.like what advantages does a bigger sub have over a smaller one other than the power and spl.
all things remaining constant (that includes all of T/S)...

a big woofer has to move a lot less to produce the same SPL hence if it has a motor that is capable of moving it's cone fast enough it will produce tight bass with less effort than a smaller sub. less effort = less distortion. what you need to do is to ignore the size of the sub an focus on the quality of bass you need. that see which woofer's T/S specs suit your needs best.
Old 12th November 2007, 12:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
all things remaining constant (that includes all of T/S)...

a big woofer has to move a lot less to produce the same SPL hence if it has a motor that is capable of moving it's cone fast enough it will produce tight bass with less effort than a smaller sub. less effort = less distortion. what you need to do is to ignore the size of the sub an focus on the quality of bass you need. that see which woofer's T/S specs suit your needs best.
Exactly.

And... in audio like elsewhere in life, balance is important. A good meal, a good drink and good sound all have this in common; Balance. Your system would consist of 4x tweeters, 2x Midrange drivers and 4x 6.5" midbass / woofers. An single 8" sub would have to work very hard to keep up with the rest of the system. A single 10" or 12" will be better and will add the ever-elusive right "balance" to your system.
Old 12th November 2007, 12:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

well thanks for clearing that up guys.

so now no discussion about the size.but on the fact that i want tight bass.
Old 13th November 2007, 08:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
what is a "Slush Engine"?
As Navpreet correctly pointed out, I should have written Sludge.

Anwyays, not to worry Navin Sir. You RS should be using synthetic from day one and thus, chances of sludging are minimum.

In my case, its just a mental block in my head after seeing my cousins struggle with VW 1.8T engine and then getting shocked by the atrociously low resale value for that particular engined car(1.8T) when they wanted to get rid of it for good.
Thus, I normally end up discouraging my friends from that engine, even though Skoda is playing the safe game in India by using Synthetic oils only.

Quote:
well thanks for clearing that up guys.
so now no discussion about the size.
Good. Because i know this for a fact that whatever you say on forums. Whatever your requirements are. I will refuse to believe that a Punjabi dimaag will be satisfied with anything less than a 12". Especially after your santro where you are running three 12" Subs in a hatch.
So no point beating around the bush.

And update us regarding which the car. I still wish you'd get the Accord instead.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 13th November 2007 at 08:10.
Old 13th November 2007, 11:36   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
so now no discussion about the size.but on the fact that i want tight bass.
if box size is a limitation think isobarik. you need twice the subs and twice the amp power for the same SPL but you also need only half the box size.

if box size is not a limitation think TL *hey it's not that crazy an idea*!

a well designed sub in a well designed box will offer tight bass no amtter what it's nominal diameter.
Old 13th November 2007, 12:12   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
As Navpreet correctly pointed out, I should have written Sludge.

Anwyays, not to worry Navin Sir. You RS should be using synthetic from day one and thus, chances of sludging are minimum.

In my case, its just a mental block in my head after seeing my cousins struggle with VW 1.8T engine and then getting shocked by the atrociously low resale value for that particular engined car(1.8T) when they wanted to get rid of it for good.
Thus, I normally end up discouraging my friends from that engine, even though Skoda is playing the safe game in India by using Synthetic oils only.
Danda maroonga. Go do your oil talk and engine wali bakwaas in the right section.
Don't spoil the ICE section lol.
Old 13th November 2007, 22:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

isobaric and transmission line systems?

well navin great ideas for my own car later on but in this case it'll just be a simple sealed box.

or maybe a vented box.

but i really like the idea of the TL setup.funny how you can play with accoustics by only using wood or MDF.

good you mentioned these two ways of installing otherwise i would have never know what these are.just looked them up on google.
thank you.
Old 13th November 2007, 22:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

a note to the mods though.

this is a good informative thread for potential laura ice customers.

but as the fate happens i have cancelled my laura booking just today on account of the sales manager not keeping up with his word during the booking.
i was assured a discount of close to 1 lakh (insurance+reg) but yesterday he called up telling me they will only give me 25k discount.

feeling very very harrassed,i have canceled my booking.this is one experience that'll never make me a skoda customer ever in my life.

thank you all for the replies in this thread.

i'd request the mods to close this thread.
Old 13th November 2007, 23:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
a note to the mods though.
but as the fate happens i have cancelled my laura booking just today on account of the sales manager not keeping up with his word during the booking. i was assured a discount of close to 1 lakh (insurance+reg) but yesterday he called up telling me they will only give me 25k discount. feeling very very harrassed,i have canceled my booking.this is one experience that'll never make me a skoda customer ever in my life.
hang on. if you missed the diwali offer, you might just get to cash in on the year end closing... try post 15th December to book your car, take delivery and get it registered in Jan 08. it's logically stupid. but a 08 model gets better resale than 07. and don't give up on a good car just because of the dealership or discount. i don't really understand the fascination for discounts... i mean, how difficult really is it to price something worth 15 lakh for 18 lakh, and then say you are giving 1.5 lakh rupees discount. we indians... sigh.
Old 14th November 2007, 10:23   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
..funny how you can play with accoustics by only using wood or MDF..
even "funnier" are Mass Loaded Tranmission Lines, Horns, etc...and you can also use aluminum(damped), fiberglass, concrete, masonite, etc...yes I have built concrete speakers (2 x Focal 8N515 mated to a Morel MDT33 in a MTM). The walls were 45mm thick.

Last edited by navin : 14th November 2007 at 10:25.
Old 29th March 2011, 11:08   #29
buz
BHPian

Default ICE in Laura Ambiente TSI

Hi,

I am currently looking at options in the Civic, Corolla, Laura segment for buying and recently did a TD of the Laura. Frankly, all arguments aside, the ride was fantastic and I almost set my mind on it. The only thing that was playing on my mind was the stock ICE of the Laura. There is an option to replace it with the stock touchscreen version that costs ~50k more but wanted to ask the group if there are other compatible options. I have an iphone and would ideally like bluetooth compatibility and operatability with the ICE. Look forward to some suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:09   #30
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: ICE in Laura Ambiente TSI

Hi buz, If you do not like the Skoda Touchscreen HU have a look at Caska HU. It's a straight fit without any modifications including cutting wires etc and has options like Bluetooth, DVD Player, GPS etc. I have not come across someone on the forum who has fitted this HU in Laura but we have some members here who have fitted this HU in Cruze and Fortuner.

Skoda Octavia 2 DSS Spain Caska Integrative Unit GPS/DVD/BT/USB | SKODA | AutoGadget Europe - Hellerau Heist S.R.L.
Closed Thread