Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 17th November 2007, 19:31   #1
BHPian

Default ICE for Honda City

Hi,

I own a new Honda City (2006). It came fitted with Alpine head unit and 4 stock speakers. Now I want to go for a better ICE system. Gurus, please help. The budget is 30K. I am planning to retain the HU. Please suggest the following:

1. Component speakers for the front
2. Component/Coaxials for rear
3. A 4-channel amp
4. A sub

Thanks in advance
shenbag63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 21:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

A rough idea of the break-up:

Components : 6-10k (JBL GTO, Illusion Electra/Luccent, Hertz DSK/ESK)
Co-axials for the rear : 3-4k (Same as above)
4-channel amplifier : 8k (GT5, Blau, Pio)
Subwoofer : GT5 sub in custom enclosure or CS1204B for 6.5k/8k
Wiring and install : 4-5k
If you can bargain well and get some discounts, you can get some damping done too.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 17th November 2007 at 22:04.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 02:36   #3
BHPian

I ill suggest one of the same things of above...

Front Components : JBL /Hertz
Rear Coaxials : 3-4k (Same as above)
Amplifier 6 channel if you can from sony/pioneer or Blaupunkt
Subwoofer : Image Dynamics 12"
Ankure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2007, 14:40   #4
BHPian

Hi...

its my first post here... A question thats been tickling my mind.. for the last couple of days..

I recently got Jbl 937 installed in my car at the rear,.. whereas the front are still the stock one's because the dealer in khan market confused me and told me not to get the jbl 607c in the front ,.. as they aint good..

He is advising me to go for jbk cs series in the front and i doubt that strongly or the blaupunkt components..
may be it was that he didnt have jbl 607c in stock...? wat say?

what will you advice to put?

Merged post:
I want some advice on the amplifier for my jbl 937 and 607c currently driven with the pioneer headunit 7750..

i also have a pioneer sub i a reflex box... say about 4 years old but would like to connect it as well

i have a budget of 4.5k to 9k max.. it would streach it 9k only if there is immense diiference in SQ.

the following options are! can some one tell their prices aswell

1)sony 604
2 )jbl 75.4 -------- if i can find them
3) jbl 60.4--------- if i can find them
4) jbl gt5 series amp
5) a pioneer 4 - 6 channel amp

can some one do a short review for them... and quote their prices

i am looking for some good SQ and not too much boom boom.

Thanx xbhp

Note from the Support Staff: Thread merged with existing. Duplicate posts removed. Please stop posting similar queries all over the board.

Last edited by aah78 : 12th December 2007 at 23:13. Reason: See note.
manyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 09:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Manyu, Your doubts are correct. he is indeed trying to take you for a ride. The CS series was inferior to the GTO series and anyway it has been discontinued too. It has been replaced by the GT5 series. if budget permits, go for the GTO series. the gurus will give more advice on this
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 18:32   #6
BHPian

thanx.. jayd

i have finalised on the 607c but would like to know how different are the 637 plus they are 3 way?
manyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 19:36   #7
BHPian

IIRC the 637 is a coaxial set.
The 607c will be much better than the 637

Why not listen to some other brands as well ? Since you are in Delhi, you can easily check out a few bhpians' cars to audition different brands.
akg7091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 19:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

You know these JBL dealers aren't very honest. When I wanted to get GTO's in my wife's santro for the rear I was told by Tyres & Car Point in Noida that they have been discontinued. I ended up buying 6 1/2 inch CS series speakers for the rear. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I believe there are some folks on Team-BHP who represent JBL. A suggestion - pls open a brand shop so that gullible idiots like me aren't taken for a ride by thieving dealers. If you have one please tell me where it is.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 22:59   #9
BHPian

I don't think that you went to an authorized dealer, just my 2c
akg7091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 23:47   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I believe there are some folks on Team-BHP who represent JBL. A suggestion - pls open a brand shop so that gullible idiots like me aren't taken for a ride by thieving dealers. If you have one please tell me where it is.
Sam Kapasi represents JBL and JBL does have more than a few brand shops in many major metros. No car speaker brand is as widely represented in the white market. Not even Sony (XPLOD).

There is no way JBL or any other brand can establish control over what every dealer they have says to it's customers. That is why it also pays to have a good relationship with your dealer and why word of mouth (esp when it comes to dealers) is so important.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 18:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Default JBL and dealers

Navin and akg7091 - I understand that JBL doesn't have control over all its dealers. However, the Noida one was recommended by someone at JBL. In 2005 I wanted to change the stock speakers in my Honda City. I called JBL from a number in an advert in Autocar. They told me to go to a shop in Lajpat Nagar (I think it was called Elegant) or to Tyres n' Car Point in Noida. The shop was their recommendation. I didn't walk in blind.
I wasn't too impressed with Elegant either where I got my City's speakers changed. They scratched my brand new car while installing the speakers and one of them came lose after a few months. To be fair to Elegant they did have the entire JBL range and other makes in stock.
So I actually have experience with two JBL dealers, both recommended by JBL themselves, at two different points in time (05 and 07).
Compare this experience with the Alpine brand store in South Ex where I bought a CD changer. Excellent install, great service, no complaints.
In my mind, next time when I have anything to do with car audio I will go to Alpine - not so much for the brand, but the shop and its service. My earlier post was an attempt to figure out if JBL has a similar store so that I don't have to depend on these dealers because I don't want to give up on what is a perfectly good brand.
Perhaps Sam Kapasi can jump in here?
PS - one of the four JBL speakers I got for my wife's Santro came lose less than a month after installation.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 13:00   #12
BHPian

Not too sure about other places, but I had good experience with the JBL authorized dealer in Bangalore. Anything I need from JBL, I just land there and I get what I want and not what any other dealer wants to sell. Anyone looking for the contact details of the authorized dealer, write to me.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 05:31   #13
BANNED

Hey! What happened to the thread starter? Vanished in thin ICE?

Manyu, both the amps are now difficult to get as they've been replaced by newer range. To answer your question, the 75.4 is far better than the 60.4.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 09:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Hey! What happened to the thread starter? Vanished in thin ICE?
I am very much here and alive @speedzak. Still waiting for some more recommendations to flow in from gurus like you.
shenbag63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 07:22   #15
BHPian

Hi all,

I have a Honda City ZX, and I got all four original speakers changed to Blaupunkt GTc 662 yesterday for Rs. 3800 from Musicar, Gurgaon.

My question is regarding installation in the front doors. The Installer used the grills of the 4 speakers as spacers, and I thought that was wrong. Also, there is some resonance at the beats when played at high volumes. I think this may be due to the speakers rubbing against the door panel. There is a small gap now between the door and the panel (can feel it if I run my finger around the panel). I think the fit is too tight, and i need to put better spacers, or should I go in for a 5 inch speaker?

Does anyone know a good installer who can put correct spacers, or suggest a place where I can find spacers so I can get them installed correctly from Musicar?

Also, while changing the speakers, the installers cut the wires that attached to the original sockets, spliced them, twisted them with new wires which had leads to connect to the speakers and plugged those leads in the speakers. The part that was cut was covered with black tape. Is this Ok? If not, can I rectify it?

Review of the system: Since this install happened yesterday, the clarity of sound has increased, and the music is better at low volumes. Bass is lacking. For Indian Classic music, tabla etc sounds good, but for Rock, the bass does not satisfy, and there is no punch. But things are better than the original speakers. I went in for co-axials since I wanted a better sound and clarity than original speakers, and I mostly listen to Indian Classical. I think I won't really need a sub. I might add a sub-amp later, but this time i'll do my research and go to a good installer. I was thinking that for a speaker replacement, any guy will be able to do a good job. I think I may have been wrong there.

Thank you for all your inputs.

Simran
simran is offline   Reply With Quote