Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2007, 14:36   #1
Newbie
 
Merlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default ICEing Baleno.. pl jump in to help

Hi all:

In all deference to moderators and Gurus about searching through the posts before asking, have been wandering the maze of posts on the ICE section.. for at least a week now. Now that my head has stopped spinning, am trying to pen down a (hopefully !) informed help request.

Got a 2004 Baleno about a month back.. the ICE in the car is beyond bad, so won't bother with "Current setup" part. And since brevity obviously isn't my forte, so will cut it out and get to the point. Which is.. my vague idea of what I am looking for:

HU: Pio 7950
Front: Hertz ESK165 comps OR Illusion EL6.1
Rear: ECX165 coax
Amp: JBL GTO75.4 OR Audison (which one works better for this combo?)
Cables: Read through Sam's (and others') advice, so will take care while getting install done
Sub: Outta budget for now !!
Budget: Have seen better than me fall on this one, but hoping to keep it below 35 or so (laughs.. anyone ?) I KNOW I'm way outta depth here..

Also having read Navin, Gunbir and lots' others views on brightness, realize the subjectivity, and will try for a demo if possible when I get around to this.. hope my request is clear enough. Before this forum, I was clueless of just how clueless I am, on the subject.. so pl let me know if something's fuzzy here.. Thanks
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 16:24   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
hydrashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my Office
Posts: 2,528
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Welcome to TBHP ICE, merlin! That was a really nice and clear post. You've made your needs very clear

Quoting from your post, with my notes in italics:

HU: Pio 7950: 8.5K or so in Delhi
Front: Hertz ESK165 comps OR Illusion EL6.1: About 9.1K
Rear: ECX165 coax: 5.6K
Amp: JBL GTO75.4 OR Audison (which one works better for this combo?): The 75.4 (if you can find it) will be available for 12K or so. The Entry-level Audison 4- ch Amp is the SRx4, which is about 25K.

End of quote.
Wiring will be about 3K.
You'll need to do a bit of cutting in the front doors to get the 6.5" midbass in, but a good installer can do that with no problem.

I think maybe you can get the speakers now and do the amp a little later. Unless of course you want to up the budget by 4-5K immediately. You might also need to do a bit of damping later for the front doors (another 3K or so) once you add an amp.

As you said listen to the setup first. You'll find quite a few TBHPians with the equipment you've mentioned in Delhi. So a proper "demo" should not be a problem.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 16:50   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

I guess the Illusions are somewhat cheaper.

The Illusion EL6.1 costs 6.5K.
And the EL62 coax costs 4K.
If you find it, the 75.4 should not cost more than 11K grey.
Pio 7950 approx 9K. Could get lower as @Hydra's mentioned.
Wiring 3K

So thats 33.5K - within your budget.

Adding a good entry level sealed box sub and damping would probably cost you another 10K.

So a total of 43.5K. Please increase your budget

Any particular reason you want the 7950?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 17:43   #4
BHPian
 
jerish666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Trivandrum,Kochi,Trissur
Posts: 757
Thanked: Once
Default

Merline welocome to TBHP.Nice choice buddy.
jerish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 18:09   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,875
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Ok, here's my 2 cents. Prices have already been mentioned above.

HU
: Pio 7950
Any reason you've shortlisted this HU?

Front: Hertz ESK165 comps OR Illusion EL6.1
I have the EL6.1 fitted in my car and can recommend it highly. As you said, "brightness" is a subjective term, but I think you will find these to be pretty smooth and not too bright. And I think it's a fair bit cheaper than the ESK's.

Rear: ECX165 coax

Would recommend you go for these if you choose ESK165 up front. If you go for the EL6.1, install the Illusion EL62 coax at the rear. Basically try to stick to the same brand of speakers for both front and rear.

Amp: JBL GTO75.4 OR Audison (which one works better for this combo?)
Both are very good amps. I'm using the JBL with the EL6.1 and am happy with the combo.

Cables: Read through Sam's (and others') advice, so will take care while getting install done
Yup, these can make or break your setup.

Sub: Outta budget for now !!
Pity, but there's always the possibility of a future upgrade

Budget: Have seen better than me fall on this one, but hoping to keep it below 35 or so (laughs.. anyone ?) I KNOW I'm way outta depth here..
Well, if you stick to the options above, then 35k is a possibility (am speaking for the Illusion+JBL combo).
However, I would advise you use some damping for your front doors at least, since you're fitting good quality component speakers. Add about 2k for that.

Keep us updated, and have fun choosing your setup!
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 22:19   #6
BHPian
 
montyguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 295
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Hi all:

In all deference to moderators and Gurus about searching through the posts before asking, have been wandering the maze of posts on the ICE section.. for at least a week now. Now that my head has stopped spinning, am trying to pen down a (hopefully !) informed help request.

Got a 2004 Baleno about a month back.. the ICE in the car is beyond bad, so won't bother with "Current setup" part. And since brevity obviously isn't my forte, so will cut it out and get to the point. Which is.. my vague idea of what I am looking for:

HU: Pio 7950
Front: Hertz ESK165 comps OR Illusion EL6.1
Rear: ECX165 coax
Amp: JBL GTO75.4 OR Audison (which one works better for this combo?)
Cables: Read through Sam's (and others') advice, so will take care while getting install done
Sub: Outta budget for now !!
Budget: Have seen better than me fall on this one, but hoping to keep it below 35 or so (laughs.. anyone ?) I KNOW I'm way outta depth here..

Also having read Navin, Gunbir and lots' others views on brightness, realize the subjectivity, and will try for a demo if possible when I get around to this.. hope my request is clear enough. Before this forum, I was clueless of just how clueless I am, on the subject.. so pl let me know if something's fuzzy here.. Thanks
wow.
first and foremost, i must must must appreciate the fact that you have searched and read and done your homework unlike most newbies.

you certainly deserve an applause in your focussed and well-mannered approach.

i'm sure there'd be lots of T-Bhpians more than willing to give you a demo.

with the JBL amp, your budget seems more or less appropriate. (and yes, it's available, if you don't get it, lemme know)

with audison... i think you'll enter a different league and end up changing your entire config., but i'll leave that to the audison guru.

i'd also like to see your installation, whenever you do it, just in case the baleno i drive has to be ICEd.



p.s. - 35k with no budget for a sub? what's the idea? you'll easily get a jbl / 307 around 3k.. and better ones for more. :-)
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 23:46   #7
Newbie
 
Merlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile ICEing Baleno.. contd

First off, THANKS for the warm welcome and the appreciation.. and the great, precise responses.. makes things pretty clear, esp given the fact that this is kinda starting off at square one for me. I wasn't sure if I'd assimilated the huge chunk of information that I'd been browsing through, for all this while..guess I'm not entirely learning disabled as I'd thought

To answer your questions, here's goes..

Why Pio 7950 ?
Cos I don't know any better ! Actually, I'm looking for a visually uncluttered (I know..a stupid reason!) HU..and though I've heard a lot good about Alpine, I preferred 'the look' of the 7950. Pl throw in your recommendations keeping this in mind.. for all I know, I might be missing out on a much better HU within/less than this price range

Why not add a sub ?
I think I will go with adding on a sub, if the budget doesn't really skyrocket (I heard about 10k more for it an all.. tough !)

Now for my revised ICE Ver 1:

HU: ?? will wait for recommendations
Front: Illusion EL6.1
Rear: Illusion EL62
Amp: JBL GTO75.4 (Audi$$$$$$on is out for obvious reasons)
Cables: Read through Sam's (and others') advice, so will take care while getting install done
Sub: jbl / 307 ?? Pl recommend more good VFM propositions keeping the above combo in mind. Will either get it now, or keep in mind for future upgrade. I'd want a tight kinda bass..SQ oriented

From past posts, I'm guessing that I'll end up going to "DRIVEN" for this stuff.. would want to keep install quality in mind, esp with the cutting doors and stuff involved. Pl advise if I could do better..

And since the doors are getting opened up, as you guys' suggested, I'll get the damping done as well... makes sense

And yes, I'd be glad if anyone could gimme a demo.. will save lots of regrets later ! And ya, will be happy to give em, once I'm done with the ICE

Lastly, I'm kinda still barely figuring out how to post and stuff, so not sure how to copy-paste individual repsonses to my post, and acknowledge them.. pl bear with me while I catch up ! Thanks again..
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 00:32   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

If you don't need a usb port and ipod compatible HU, then the Pio 4950 should do fine. I use it and I also prefer its look to the 7950. More importantly, it costs around 5K !

Get a JBL sub. Should cost between 6 - 7 with an aftermarket box.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 02:04   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,144 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Now for my revised ICE Ver 1:

HU: ?? will wait for recommendations
Front: Illusion EL6.1
Rear: Illusion EL62
Amp: JBL GTO75.4 (Audi$$$$$$on is out for obvious reasons)
Cables: Read through Sam's (and others') advice, so will take care while getting install done
Sub: jbl / 307 ?? Pl recommend more good VFM propositions keeping the above combo in mind. Will either get it now, or keep in mind for future upgrade. I'd want a tight kinda bass..SQ oriented
Good choice of equipment. I would go for a Ground Zero 12" sub to add to this config. Been there heard that. I don't think Driven stocks Illusion in Delhi. LBM is the man who can help you get a decent install done.

Quote:
And since the doors are getting opened up, as you guys' suggested, I'll get the damping done as well... makes sense
Great. Noise kill damping @ Rs. 150/- per sq.ft would be your best bet. From your previous posts I gathered that you are looking for an absolute VFM setup and the Illusion's will do the thing for you.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 12:00   #10
BHPian
 
montyguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 295
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Good choice of equipment. I would go for a Ground Zero 12" sub to add to this config. Been there heard that. I don't think Driven stocks Illusion in Delhi. LBM is the man who can help you get a decent install done.
that's true. i don't think anyone stocks illusions/GZ in delhi besides LBM. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Great. Noise kill damping @ Rs. 150/- per sq.ft would be your best bet. From your previous posts I gathered that you are looking for an absolute VFM setup and the Illusion's will do the thing for you.
can you post a link to the noise kill website? i've had a hard time finding the company that makes this and its credentials/product specs. though 150 p. sq feet seems quite tempting.

check out the 9881 by alpine as well. with bill & warranty MRPed around 12750.

Last edited by montyguru : 29th November 2007 at 12:03.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 12:32   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
that's true. i don't think anyone stocks illusions/GZ in delhi besides LBM. :-)
Correction here, I dont stock any items I have just helped my friends in arranging them.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 12:41   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Correction here, I dont stock any items I have just helped my friends in arranging them.
Reminder here, I am sending you some more stock soon. Since you are my friend, you may install one of the items in your own car.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 13:49   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,652
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Reminder here, I am sending you some more stock soon. Since you are my friend, you may install one of the items in your own car.
Oye B&T, I'm also your friend, I can also stock your products apart from JBL if you give me a pair of GZ 12" FOC.

Waise bhi JBL main ab jyada margin nahin hai, owing to recent discount policies.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 13:58   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345
Oye B&T, I'm also your friend, I can also stock your products apart from JBL if you give me a pair of GZ 12" FOC.
Arre panky bhai, I wish you had made this ultra-kind offer a little earlier but 'LBM Butter Chickens Ltd'. is now the stockist for your territory. Please direct all FOC requests directly to him only. If there's some deal involving dosh, I'm your friend. cheers:
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 14:45   #15
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
that's true. i don't think anyone stocks illusions/GZ in delhi besides LBM. :-)
LBM's swift is DLSified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Reminder here, I am sending you some more stock soon. Since you are my friend, you may install one of the items in your own car.
like he needs more audio equipment in his car.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Jump starts & Battery help - Exide Batmobile, Mumbai (and other cities) GTO Mumbai 36 28th April 2016 23:50
Need help for ICEing Hyundai Accent m2avg In-Car Entertainment 17 23rd November 2008 18:41
vRs ICEING - Badly Need Help abhinav.gupta88 In-Car Entertainment 117 7th October 2008 13:50
i10 ICEing help biggy In-Car Entertainment 3 28th August 2008 21:37
Estilo - SQ Setup - jump in to help! MillionSwords In-Car Entertainment 26 6th December 2007 19:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks