Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 24th March 2008, 11:49   #166
BHPian

I have it as well. I'm glad you like it. I don't. (Couple of threads already on that, so won't start that here).
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 13:01   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
hi,

just wanted to check if my Ipod 2nd gen Nano will work with these systems. I have version 1.1.3. And also when we get it connected to these pioneer systems like 7950 or 5050, does it show the whole file management system starting from Genere, Album, artist etc???

Thanks.
Same question from my side. I have an iPod Mini, running on firmware version 1.4.1 (I think thats the right version number, or I may be wrong and it would be 1.1.4 in that case!). I am not sure which generation it is. It is a 6 GB model and belongs to the series when iPod Minis used to come in 4 and 6 GB sizes.

Will this work with 6050 or 5050?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 13:22   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
I have it as well. I'm glad you like it. I don't. (Couple of threads already on that, so won't start that here).

hi veb any reason that u dont like it? i use it only for my ipod and the radio.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 13:49   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hi veb any reason that u dont like it? i use it only for my ipod and the radio.
He HATES the random play function that the HU offers. I think he is fine with it sound quality wise.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 14:05   #170
BHPian

Quote:
hi veb any reason that u dont like it?
I'll give you three:
  • Reason 1
  • Reason 2
  • Reason 3: It keeps scrolling the song / artist / album name even if it doesn't need to, i.e. it should not scroll "Korn" for example... There is no need - it displays fully. On the contrary, it makes it unreadable.
Warning: They are long threads. Just read the first few posts unless of course you are interested in my rants.
Also, I don't like these very specific problems. Otherwise the HU is excellent.
Old 28th June 2008, 23:26   #171
BHPian

*090 is the official B&W one. I just bought one today. Got a warranty and 1 year anti-theft insurance as well.
Does the anti-theft insurance a rip off or does they actually replace your HU?
paranoidAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 23:31   #172
BHPian

Guys,
I got fixed the pioneer 6050 yesterday. But its not playing my 40GB HDD. Im not using any external power supply to power up the HDD. I have searched on net a lot, but no luck yet. Any one faced the issue before? Any remody ?
The HDD is a Samsung Make. Formated in FAT32. No partitions ( Only one Logical drive consuming the entire disk)
HotChillyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 02:03   #173
BHPian

^ It's probably a power issue. You didn't mention what kind of HDD you have, so assuming you have a 2.5" external drive. Basically the deal is that it needs to be able to run off 300mA or less. But that figure is pretty much useless as the hdd manufacturers rarely state what the power rating is. So you can try one of two things:

1) Keep trying different brands and models of external HDDs (2.5" or less) till you get one that works.
2) Get a power adapter that would power your drive from the cigarette lighter port in the car.
Old 6th July 2008, 11:36   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
^ It's probably a power issue. You didn't mention what kind of HDD you have, so assuming you have a 2.5" external drive. Basically the deal is that it needs to be able to run off 300mA or less. But that figure is pretty much useless as the hdd manufacturers rarely state what the power rating is. So you can try one of two things:

1) Keep trying different brands and models of external HDDs (2.5" or less) till you get one that works.
2) Get a power adapter that would power your drive from the cigarette lighter port in the car.
I am using a 2.5" Seagate drive. The power rating stated on the drive is 0.47A, hence it is well under my Head units spec(mA500).

I have tried formatting the drive with different tools thinking its the problem with the cluster size. I have checked out 32K to 8K clusters in FAT32, but no luck yet.

As you told I will checkout some other drive. BTW will the IDE to USB converter board on the HDD box will consume more than 50mA and my HU not able to support that?
HotChillyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 18:56   #175
Senior - BHPian

The ampere rating mentioned on the drive is the continuous consumption. Hard disks always pull down a spike of current when they spin up and this will cause many USB ports to go into damage control mode (plug a relatively large drive with many platters like the Hitachi 1TB drive into a single USB port and watch Windows go crazy) and cut off power.

I don't know how many HUs have multiple USB ports, but an option is to use a cable which has two USB connectors at one end. One connector has only the power lines connected and the other has both data and power. Plug both in and the HDD spike won't cause problems.

If that isn't an option, you need to find some other way to provide your drive with 5V. Research the USB connector standard if you want to do it this way.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 19:35   #176
Senior - BHPian

a friend of mine got a 3050 yesterday, and Its quite nice to use
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 20:54   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
... But its not playing my 40GB HDD. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
... BTW will the IDE to USB converter board on the HDD box will consume more than 50mA and my HU not able to support that?
You have not clearly described your problem, whether the HU is at all able to recognize the drive (it should normally say something like "No media") or whether the drive is getting powered and spinning up or not (you can make out from the drive LED and listening closely to the drive) when you insert the USB cable. All other actions, like format etc., are secondary till you find out the basic issues. Check the HU manual for possible causes of error. The current rating mentioned on the HDD box is inclusive of the IDE-USB convertor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
... (plug a relatively large drive with many platters like the Hitachi 1TB drive into a single USB port and watch Windows go crazy) and cut off power.
If you connect a 1TB internal drive to an under-rated PC power supply, that is neither the fault of Windows or the mobo. Why would one do that? If external, The 1TB drive will always come with a Power adapter, and we are talking of external drives here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I don't know how many HUs have multiple USB ports, ... Plug both in and the HDD spike won't cause problems.
None. That is a feature in the PC world, not the minimalistic world of ICE.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:30   #178

Default pioneer 7900 or 7000

I have the stock HU in my SX4 with JBL GT 75.4, 607 compos and Pioneer 12 in. subwoofer. To do justice to the amp, I have decided to go for addtional HU to be fitted in the below available slot. Can anyone share pics of this type of install? Will the US model have any issue here?

Also would like advise on which HU between 7900 and 7000 I should go for. Is the latter 2008 model of 7900? There is not much diff in the price and specs.

Last edited by milo2811 : 23rd September 2008 at 12:42. Reason: Search please
milo2811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 21:49   #179
BHPian

Hey all

Request your help in identifying a shop in Bangalore where we can get the HUs with a cheaper price tag ??
I have heard National Market would have some shops .. but can those be trusted ??
request your inputs
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 13:01   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Hey all

Request your help in identifying a shop in Bangalore where we can get the HUs with a cheaper price tag ??
Check out AutoShop in koramangala.
Untitled Document
rajakumar is offline   Reply With Quote