Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 11th December 2007, 01:53   #31
BHPian

ok, i have a query now.

like i mentioned earlier that my setup is bright for my taste, what can be done to lower the brightness? i don't wanna use the eq to cut the highs.

navinji, once you gave me a suggestion to use an l-pad iirc. does an lpad have variable attenuation? since an l-pad is not available here and couldn't find it in lajpat rai market(electronic components market) in delhi, can i make an l=pad myself?

it needs 2 resistors if im not wrong. one in shunt and one in series. can i build a variable attenuation lpad? is it possible to use two potentiometers instead of fixed value resistors? and can it have single adjustmen(ill have to adjust both the pots otherwise)

is there any other way?

cheers
clip
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 08:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
ok, i have a query now.
like i mentioned earlier that my setup is bright for my taste, what can be done to lower the brightness? i don't wanna use the eq to cut the highs.
Get a better amp and HU.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 09:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

The box looks good, Clip! If the white borders of the carpets bother you, why don't you just apply some (mixed) black paint there?

And well, frankly I'm not sure offhand how far Kochi is from Pondy, but it's not too far at all considering you're coming to Pondy from Jalandhar. Please do make it to Kochi the next time and we'll all have a blast.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 09:47   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
is it possible to use two potentiometers instead of fixed value resistors? and can it have single adjustmen(ill have to adjust both the pots otherwise)
theoretically yes but good non-inductive pots (like ALPS) are expensive, very expensive and the wattages are limited. for an Lpad I'd suggest using non-inductive 10W resistors.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 10:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
theoretically yes but good non-inductive pots (like ALPS) are expensive, very expensive and the wattages are limited. for an Lpad I'd suggest using non-inductive 10W resistors.
Like I have suggested in the other thread go for active with the HU.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 11:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Get a better amp and HU.
is there a surprise for me? are you sending the stuff? lol

like i told, im going to upgrade the HU next and in a month max. then i will get better amps.

cheers
clip
Old 11th December 2007, 16:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
The box looks good, Clip! If the white borders of the carpets bother you, why don't you just apply some (mixed) black paint there?

And well, frankly I'm not sure offhand how far Kochi is from Pondy, but it's not too far at all considering you're coming to Pondy from Jalandhar. Please do make it to Kochi the next time and we'll all have a blast.
hi hydra,

no, its not bothering me at all cause the white thingy is not visible. its because of the camera i think and its only visible in the pics. i didn't want to use a paint cause i wanted to click the enclosure the way it is. that would be like giving a false impression.

Quote:
i can get the 10w wire wound resistors but how do i tell if they are non inductive. is it a different kind of a resistor or is it freely available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Like I have suggested in the other thread go for active with the HU.
but i don't have a HU with an active xo.

cheers
clip
Old 11th December 2007, 22:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but i don't have a HU with an active xo.
Thats why I am say to get with one Active TA feature.

I am still waiting for the Enclosure specs.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 03:38   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Thats why I am say to get with one Active TA feature.

I am still waiting for the Enclosure specs.
lbm, to buy a HU, one needs money. and to buy a nice, high end HU, you need lots. as i mentioned earlier, im really not in a position to buy a HU right now.

im asking for a solution in which i would not need to buy another HU and all you have to say is to get a HU with active xo? i cannot afford one right now and i won't say it again. if i could afford one right now, don't you think i would have already done that?

i mean no offense but please read before writing. earlier, in some other thread, i asked for a solution for my amp as it had developed a fault and you suggested to buy a new amp. may be you are, but im not rich enough to buy a 23k hu right away. :-)

so please suggest a way to attenuate the tweets. i can't run them on the rear channels of the HU.

i will post the specs in a while.

i mean no offence lbm.
Old 12th December 2007, 09:25   #40
BHPian

Well Done Chip, very nice DIY job.

Quote:
i didn't want to use a paint
Use a black-color Permanent marker.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 10:13   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i can get the 10w wire wound resistors but how do i tell if they are non inductive. is it a different kind of a resistor or is it freely available?
non inductive resistors are available in India they look like this
Non-Inductive Resistors from Isotek Corp
RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Component parts: Capacitors & resistors: 8-Ohm Non-Inductive Resistor
Old 12th December 2007, 18:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
non inductive resistors are not available here in my city. only the normal wire wound types are there.

im not going to use them but what effect will a normal wire wound resistor have on the tweets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Well Done Chip, very nice DIY job.

Use a black-color Permanent marker.
thanks for the comliment. the whute lines are not visible. its visible only in pics due to maybe the flash.

cheers
clip
Old 13th December 2007, 10:42   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
non inductive resistors are not available here in my city. only the normal wire wound types are there.
there are wire wound that are non inductive too but these are imported and hence expensive. however dont worry too much if you cant get non inductive resistors use what you can, the principle still holds.
Old 13th December 2007, 18:39   #44
BHPian

Quote:
there are wire wound that are non inductive too but these are imported and hence expensive. however dont worry too much if you cant get non inductive resistors use what you can, the principle still holds.
oh thank god. im gonna rush to the market now lol. i went yesterday but didn't buy them. lol. thanks anyway :-)

cheers
clip
Old 14th December 2007, 09:32   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
oh thank god. im gonna rush to the market now lol. i went yesterday but didn't buy them. lol. thanks anyway :-)
1. a lot of things are not available in India. I did mos tof my electronic development (at least audio relaed) in the 70s and even less was available then but never let that stop you. alternates can give you a good handle on the philisophy of various circuit topologies. the learning is the same. One day you can substitite the same resistors for Vishay and you will know exactly what to get becuase you have played around.

2. if you have an impedance bridge measure them and if you can keep L as low as possible.