Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2007, 19:44   #1
BHPian
 
inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 208
Thanked: 4 Times
Default ICE query

hi bhpians,

im still not sure abt 1 ICE query and would like to ask before I buy up any new ICE.


I have 4 speakers with a SONY HU , the volume range is from 0 to 35 as shown on the display of the HU, but i've seen that , it sounds bad after 20-21. SO my question is that , is that the incapability of my speakers and its not able to handle enouh power that is being given by the HU or is it that the amplifier of the HU is not doing the job fine and a seperate amp is needed ?


and one more thing,my car just got brashed by 1 scooterwalla today , my front bumper got apart.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 23:50   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

What speakers do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
is that the incapability of my speakers and its not able to handle enouh power that is being given by the HU or is it that the amplifier of the HU is not doing the job fine and a seperate amp is needed ?
It depends on what speakers you have and whether or not you have an amplifier.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 00:30   #3
BHPian
 
vikram18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: pune
Posts: 615
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

What speakers do you have? Better speakers will certainly improve fidelity. A good amplifier coupled with better speakers will make a WORLD of difference.
Could you mention what car and speakers you have?
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 00:45   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
A good amplifier coupled with better speakers will make a WORLD of difference.


Mentioning your car, budget and current setup would help us.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 01:01   #5
BANNED
 
hellspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: noida
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 6 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

though i'm a noob in this department,if you have an amp,it could be that the gain is set too high and there is distortion above 20-21.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 11:17   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
though i'm a noob in this department,if you have an amp,it could be that the gain is set too high and there is distortion above 20-21.
Assuming that the speakers are capable of taking more power than the HU can give, it is the HU which is the culprit. The HU output is clipping.

To make louder music, you need to add an amp, even if it is a Sony.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 11:41   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

From his post, it's very clear that he does'nt have an amp.
Most probably, the speakers are under-rated. So try turning off the equalizer (or set it flat) and also turn off all other audio "enhancement" settings like DSO etc. This should improve the sound upto some extent.
anuragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 14:11   #8
BHPian
 
Magma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 355
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
hi bhpians,

I have 4 speakers with a SONY HU , the volume range is from 0 to 35 as shown on the display of the HU, but i've seen that , it sounds bad after 20-21. SO my question is that , is that the incapability of my speakers and its not able to handle enouh power that is being given by the HU or is it that the amplifier of the HU is not doing the job fine and a seperate amp is needed ?
.
well you dont have an seperate amp as is evident from the line that is highlighted

well DerAlte has said it best of all.The hiighest probability is that your HU is giving "Clipped signals" to you speakers after volume no 20-25 as you have said and thats why the output is sounding bad.
In general just because the HU can go upto volume no 30 doesnt mean its capable of playing good sounding music at that volume

since you have a sony system HU and speakers (i assume) a good way to upgrade is by the following
Add and amp and set the gains so that no clipped signals are given to the speakers even at max volume ( dont worry a good installer will know how to set it) - however im not to sure that spending on the amp is the best FIRST step considering you probably have lowr rated SONY speakers.

since you have SONY speakers i would first suggest you to change either
all 4 speakers ( if your budget allows) or first just change to component speakers in the front and do the rears later. Dont go for sony this time get another brand according to budget like JBL,Illusion,Hertz,Blau

since i am a newbie, please wait for confirmation of this advice from gurus on this forum
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 17:20   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DELHI
Posts: 630
Thanked: 323 Times
Default

@inferno: since its a Sony HU that u have; try these settings on the Equaliser. Low & Mid: +5dB & high: 0dB
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 19:57   #10
BHPian
 
inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 208
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
well you dont have an seperate amp as is evident from the line that is highlighted

well DerAlte has said it best of all.The hiighest probability is that your HU is giving "Clipped signals" to you speakers after volume no 20-25 as you have said and thats why the output is sounding bad.
In general just because the HU can go upto volume no 30 doesnt mean its capable of playing good sounding music at that volume

since you have a sony system HU and speakers (i assume) a good way to upgrade is by the following
Add and amp and set the gains so that no clipped signals are given to the speakers even at max volume ( dont worry a good installer will know how to set it) - however im not to sure that spending on the amp is the best FIRST step considering you probably have lowr rated SONY speakers.

since you have SONY speakers i would first suggest you to change either
all 4 speakers ( if your budget allows) or first just change to component speakers in the front and do the rears later. Dont go for sony this time get another brand according to budget like JBL,Illusion,Hertz,Blau

since i am a newbie, please wait for confirmation of this advice from gurus on this forum
yes, you got it right, i dont have a separate amplifier.

ok , if you say so , then i'll try shifting to some other brand , but i had a perception that sony was very good, so its changed now.

But, since you want me to change it , so its better i put the new system in my next car , coz i'm expectin a new one in next 1 year. i cant shell out money again that time.
and yes , everybody in this forum is smitten by JBL , and hertz , is there something special about it ?

Recently , i've got myself THX verified MX5021 speakers by altec lansing for my desktop , i would love to have something like that quality of sound.
Is it possible to get that in my car under 25k including HU ?
I assume , im buying 4 speakers , HU , and a SUB with amp. ? and where i can get in and around WEST DELHI ?
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 14:07   #11
BHPian
 
Magma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 355
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

[quote=inferno;653034]yes, you got it right, i dont have a separate amplifier.

ok , if you say so , then i'll try shifting to some other brand , but i had a perception that sony was very good, so its changed now.

quote]


Dude
I dont WANT you to change anything your not comfortable with nor do i want to impose my perceptions on anyone.
im just stating that in my opinion a brand other than sony would be a better bet.Also the rating of the speaker would matter.
As i have stated about "clipping" you should know that differnet brand HU's clip at different levels. SONY is not such a favoured brand with me or on tbhp(at least thats what i have perceived )

if yur gonna get a new system and you have a dcent budget
i would suggest
for HU - Alpine ( expensive but good choice),pioneer,JVC
for front speakers : component : JBL,Hertz,ILLusions, or even pioneer kevlars if you get a good grey price
rear : same brands as above + Blaupunkt

hertz speakers will be available with another bhp member called Gunbir, you can PM him for support.
Gunbir will be in a better position to advice you on everything
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied Soccerfan In-Car Entertainment 45 10th March 2012 21:40
ICE ICE Baby!!!!!!!!(Swift ICE) scarlet.fever In-Car Entertainment 21 23rd September 2009 20:25
Query on ICE with JVC AVX33 HU hellstar In-Car Entertainment 57 19th May 2008 16:13
Innova Purchase Query + Query on Price Increase by Toyota SanMan SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 7 30th April 2008 13:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks