Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 28th July 2009, 23:49   #421
Senior - BHPian

i have asked sheldon for support yesterday, he is yet to revert back on it. hope to repair it.
i dont remember the places where the stand and support for laptop where there. mostly shoppers stop and one of the malls in banglore, where they kept case logic items. the black cloth type were foldable type. i have also seen plastic support stands. it had hooks to lock with the headrest rods and had grey colour tray attached to it.
i am trying to remember exact places.
i think viper knows someone who makes as per custom requirements.

Last edited by gigy : 29th July 2009 at 00:05.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 12:47   #422
Senior - BHPian

* Touchscreen is never bonded to the LCD, it is always overlaid
* MiLeap is not an India-specific model. It is a rebranded netbook / UMPC tablet originally made by MSI or some such Taiwan company

I played around with a display piece at Croma last Saturday. Finger, finger-nail, plastic pen etc. all worked just fine on the touchscreen (there was no stylus available on the display piece). Screen is pretty decent, and the touchscreen is does not reflect too much light. Keyboard is nice, the mouse pad is not. Neither the mouse pad nor the touchscreen supports scrolling (one can manipulate the scroll bar, though). Nothing extra-ordinary - battery life and apparent CPU speed appear to be the same as ASUS EeePC.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 18:19   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Touchscreen is never bonded to the LCD, it is always overlaid
Well...Optically bonding the touch screen to the LCD is the holy grail in all outdoor/sunlight readable Touch Screen LCD's. Most high end tablets have optically bonded touch screens.

Optical Bonding eliminates the air gap between the touch screen and the LCD panel eliminating two reflective surfaces which in turn improves contrast and hence readability.

Optical bonding is one of the processes which makes those LCD's expensive than cheaper ones which merely overlays a touchscreen over the panel.

Quote:
MiLeap is not an India-specific model. It is a rebranded netbook / UMPC tablet originally made by MSI or some such Taiwan company.
It would be of help to know the original parentage so that we can dig out more details from the internet.

Quote:
...apparent CPU speed appear to be the same as ASUS EeePC.
I guess you were comparing the Myleap which comes with a 800 MHz processor (A110) to the first generation EEEPC's which came with 900MHz Celeron processor. The new ATOM based ones (N270 and N280) EEPC's are definitely much faster not just on frequency numbers!.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 29th July 2009 at 18:20.
Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 19:03   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Well...Optically bonding the touch screen to the LCD is the holy grail in all outdoor/sunlight readable Touch Screen LCD's. Most high end tablets have optically bonded touch screens.
Hmmm.. iPhone went backwards with successive generations. The earlier 2G version had the touch screen bonded to the LCD screen. But the 3G version has touch screen separate from the LCD !!

But the advantage with iPhone 3G is that if you crack the touch screen, you can still replace it without replacing the costlier undamaged LCD screen. And nobody's complaining

Last edited by spadival : 29th July 2009 at 19:04.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 20:46   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Hmmm.. iPhone went backwards with successive generations. The earlier 2G version had the touch screen bonded to the LCD screen. But the 3G version has touch screen separate from the LCD !!
I guess it is all about cost saving for Apple at the expense of better daylight viewability. They might have even complimented the new screen with a brighter and more efficient backlight to mildly compensate for the viewability. I'm just guessing

Quote:
But the advantage with iPhone 3G is that if you crack the touch screen, you can still replace it without replacing the costlier undamaged LCD screen. And nobody's complaining
Its more scratch repair friendly I guess. If someone indeed manages to really crack the 0.3mm thick touchscreen on the 3G, it might very well take the LCD with it.
Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 23:26   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well...Optically bonding the touch screen to the LCD is the holy grail in all outdoor/sunlight readable Touch Screen LCD's. Most high end tablets have optically bonded touch screens. ...
Sir, 'bonding' means different things to different people - it is a very ambiguous word. Your abstraction is a very valid one. But, in itself 'bonding' a rather simple mechanical process with no adjectives associated with it. The materials & substrate do make a lot of difference, though.

Quote:
It would be of help to know the original parentage ...
The laptop style MiLeap V is MSI Wing. Haven't figured out who is the OEM for the tablet style MiLeap Y.

Quote:
... touch screen bonded to the LCD screen. ...
Costly 'deposition' process on the LCD front glass itself, not 'bonded'.
Quote:
... But the 3G version has touch screen separate from the LCD !! ...
They figured out how to reduce the display cost without compromising display properties! Something to do with tighter tolerances.
Old 30th July 2009, 06:30   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If someone indeed manages to really crack the 0.3mm thick touchscreen on the 3G, it might very well take the LCD with it.
You'll be surprised to find the number of people who manage to do just that. i.e crack only the touchscreen. Youtube even has DIY videos explaining how to replace the touch screen.

Quote:
The laptop style MiLeap V is MSI Wing. Haven't figured out who is the OEM for the tablet style MiLeap Y.
I guess you meant MSI Wind. Haven't seen any MSI tablet style model with swivel screen though. This style would be the most suitable for carpc's, because you can get the keyboard out of the way.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 16:25   #428
Senior - BHPian

Acer has launched a new consumer pc called AspireRevo R3600 for 22k. For those of you dont want to spend time with cpu making this is a good option. put in in glove box or boot and power with a dc-dc power or a small battery in parallel and carputer is ready to play with.
If it was 10cm smaller it could have gone into baleno dash itself without any modification.

Acer Home
Attached Images

Old 31st July 2009, 09:40   #429
Senior - BHPian

While my attempts to revive the damaged lcd is still on, i have ordered for another cheaper lcd with headrest mount for 145$. it will later on go into headrest or go into my HTPC as per requirement. Its not as good as the iride one but lot cheaper.
VM70 7in LCD widescreen touchscreen monitor, VGA monitor screen touch, touch screen display

Also getting a usb gps(BU-353) for 36.5$ as its reviewed to be good companion to CF. Earlier thought of a 19$ piece or the 27$ one. all three links below.
Globalsat BU-353 USB GPS Receiver, BU353
Navibe GM720 Water-Proof USB GPS Receiver - SiRF Star III(WAAS Enabled)
GlobalTop GMR75 USB GPS Receiver
Old 31st July 2009, 12:00   #430
Senior - BHPian

Dose anyone know if the Asrock will work with 12v dc in? it has a 19v dc in socket otherwise perfect as carputer for 18k.
ASRock > Products > Nettop Series > ION 330

now AspireRevo R3600 for 22k looks plain crap

Last edited by gigy : 31st July 2009 at 12:03.
Old 31st July 2009, 14:17   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Dose anyone know if the Asrock will work with 12v dc in? it has a 19v dc in socket otherwise perfect as carputer for 18k.
ASRock > Products > Nettop Series > ION 330

now AspireRevo R3600 for 22k looks plain crap
Gigy. Asrock wont work on our DC-DC PSU.

Only CarNetix PSU supports jumper selectable main output of +18/+19/+20V.

CarNetix CNX-P1900
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 14:52   #432
Senior - BHPian

Where did you get the INR price for the ASRock from?

I doubt if 19V can be replaced by 12V, unless 19V they mean 'max output voltage from the brick'. Not logical, since downstream devices like an on-board DC-DC converter to get +/-12V will need a decent headroom to down-convert efficiently.
Old 31st July 2009, 15:07   #433
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for that info. for 100$ from mp3car its worth the price, save a lot of headace until you come up with a innovation.

Got that price from one of the threads in techenclave forum.
if the internals are known may be we can discard the existing psu inside and putting in car specific one.

Last edited by gigy : 31st July 2009 at 15:14.
Old 31st July 2009, 15:43   #434
BHPian

Gigy. check out MP3Car's General Hardware Discussion forum.
Someone is planning to try that ASROCK ION WITH P1900. You may get useful info on it.
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 16:43   #435
Senior - BHPian

Anybody interested in asrock can order for it through
SAJID MUNSHI
ABACUS PERIPHERALS PVT LTD.
Mob: 9892147983
Tel.: 022 - 4091 4603.
they seem to quote 18400 with tax. neat price still. if it was for 15k, i might have gone for it straight .

slim blueray drive with sata connection is available for 7k from prime mumbai.
also saw a mini itx case for 5k from silverstone
I thought of moving over to ion for carputer but have dropped it now.

Last edited by gigy : 1st August 2009 at 16:49.