Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 26th December 2007, 13:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Good install there.. Fit and finish is excellent. I think you can clean up a bit on the loose USB wires below the ashtray by putting a USB hub there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
OT: whats that RED button like thingy on the steering wheel? Is it for the LPG kit?
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 14:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

The red button on steering is additional horn switch as i dont like to take hand off steering while driving to press horn in center. the red button below steering on dash is the lpg fuse.
i have made a lot of spelling mistakes in earlier post.please excuse.
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 13:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

that zebronnics dhoom cabinet is too long to hide below car seat and for 2600 not a budget item. A barebone old pc is what i am looking out now.I have ordered the dc to dc coverter onlie.
Old 29th December 2007, 14:23   #34
BHPian

If you have already purchased the zebronics cabinet you could consider installing it in the trunk.
shldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 17:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

dont want to put anything into boot because of the lpg kit. Also thinking of moving the amp out of boot. Just want to remove any possible of fire source coax from lpg.
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Look for cases with these dimensions - 220(W)x268(L)x82(H)mm. This fits almost perfectly under the seat.. just make sure that it isn't fixed under the spring/lever of the seat adjustment. Otherwise, the lever will hit the case when you adjust your seat.

Got the dimensions from the case that I have used : iRide Technologies. CarPC based Vehicle Infotainment Systems
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:11   #37
BHPian

wow gigy amazing work done there...looks very neat..
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 00:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

this hp desktop is of good size to fit inside car. does anyone know about its price?
size of case is 25.1x25.4x6.6cm. total power 135watts
model hp compaq dc7800 ultra slim desktop pc

Last edited by gigy : 4th January 2008 at 00:53.
Old 8th January 2008, 10:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Good news for car pc makers.
Iride has almost reduced the price of dc-dc 160w power supply by half. From 5700 to 3200rs and its a different board also.
bad news for me since i have already ordered online, and waiting for the international delivery.
so the monitor 5200+ powers supply 3200+ cost of cpu will be the total expense.other add ons as per personnel requirements.

Last edited by gigy : 8th January 2008 at 10:34.
Old 8th January 2008, 11:31   #40
BHPian

Well Done gigy. Neat install. Hats off to you!!!
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 12:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

really cool gigy. the time and effort and also the research that you are doing is amazing and the outcome is superb.

an inspiring work that you are doing, bro!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 12:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

guys the thread is very interesting one. but this is what i have to offer.
1. JVC car Tape / Any car tape : 3000 Rs. with speakers of ur choice :Cost vary.

2. A MP3 converter cassete : 350 Rs surf on ebay u will get many.

3. A hard disk 80 gb with a HDD,MP3, DVD, VCD player casing. This aslo i had ordered from Ebay. this is a unique casing unlike our which we use to put in laptop Hard disk. This casing comes with remote and all cables with adaptor. u can directly plugin this casing to ur television and watch movies or hear songs. it have AV in-out sockets. it also has VGA port to connect directly to monitor. on screen u get a perfect menu like our conventional DVD players which cost 10 k plus. Cost of this HARD DISK WITH CASING is 5500 Rs with 5 years warranty on 80 gb hitachi hard disk. it can play almost all formats.

4. A lcd Screen 9" to 15" will cost another 5-8 k

this is all u need to turn ur car to a powerfull home theatre with minimum cost. also u dont have to burn CDS or DVDs. u can directly download 80 gb stuff from ur PC.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 09:46   #43
BHPian

Default Heat! - HDD

I agree with Sumit on this.
I think the Laptop HDD will reduce the power consumption to a large level and will heat up far lesser than a regular HDD. But I understand that, what we are doing here is with what is available, and I too dont have a Laptop HDD for spare.

Someone who has a laptop HDD spare can contribute to this project, and Gigy will be a happy man to test with it!

What say Gigy?

MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
A suggestion Gigy, you are using a normal desktop Hard Disk here and that too without any damping to protect it from shocks and jerks. I am not too sure about it as it will fail sooner or later. My suggestion is to add some shock proofing to it by using rubber or foam sheets. If possible, try to get hold of a Laptop HDD as it is designed to absorb some amount of shocks and jerks.

I will be following this thread closely. Keep us updated :-)
MillionSwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 22:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

Sure liked the idea buddy, but today roaming around lamington picked up a 80gb 2.5'' hitachi hd for 2550. bought the 3.5 to 2.5 converter pcb also for 100.
found a general purpose cabinet of size 12x10x3'' for 165, picked it.(for later projects or rebuilding this for better looks).
there is a biostar motherboard in market of ITX size supporting core2duo for 2500. core2duo is available starting for 2k
usb tv tuner cards are there in market but dont know why none of them offer fm also built in.

i am still waiting for the dc to dc power supply and hope it comes in a month or 2.
Old 9th January 2008, 22:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

hey gigy , can you let me know the name of the shop selling the biostar MB and which core2duo processor [speed] and the place where you the price [shop]. I am intrested in doing something like this..so it would be great if I can get my hands on something like this....and stop using laptop setup .
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote