Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 26th November 2009, 21:32   #556
BHPian

Rotating the screen automatically needs a motion sensor i believe, You need soo many other equipment too for all this to work and making all the equipment work together needs a program. All this put together will make the project a success but the bad part is the HUGE bill you get after everything is over
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 13:32   #557
BHPian

Awaiting your headsup Nisarg
suneet_ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 13:33   #558
BHPian

I know man...
But it'd be cool...
Need a gyroscope that can interface with a PC via USB & a motor.
Had seen a solid state accelerometer + gyroscope + magnetometer [i think] that had a usb out, but it cost 1000 USD.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 14:08   #559
BHPian

1000USD?
For that price you can get the best Carputer in your ride man
Old 27th November 2009, 15:20   #560
BHPian

Ok. Guys. after reading this post and confirmed with scott.
Silabs/ADS USB Radio on Windows 7 *** UPDATED 26th November 2009 *** - Centrafuse Carputer, CarPC & UMPC Forums
Silab will wotk fine with CF 3.0
Netarchie is also using Silab Radio in his Hondaputer.
So what says guys ? KMD Route ? Order Quantity ?
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 16:37   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
1000USD?
For that price you can get the best Carputer in your ride man

i know...
thats why i ain't gone in for it yet
Old 27th November 2009, 18:06   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Hey guys,
Nice informative thread...
I've been planning to install a CarPC for some time...

Have any of you considered liquid cooling?

and about the LCD on the steering wheel as has been posted before, Ideally I'd like the screen on the steering wheel to be mounted with some sort of self righting mechanism

Finally, about the fusion brain... what is it?
Is it some sort of ADC [Analog to Digital Converter]
Will it be possible to wire my electricals [of the car of course] such as the head lights, power windows, car ignition [i hear this is possible] into the FB?
If I do, then apart from manual control [the hard wired switch] will i also be able to control it from a CarPC?
as in lower or raise the windows via touch screen, or even remote access
You can very well consider liquid cooling if needed. see that the equipments selected are vibration proof.

Lcd on the steering is much more complicated than it looks like. one is its stabilization other is how to send data and power to it. you will have a coiled wire like in race cars hanging across the steering column. i had a plan to move xbox360 wirekless controller with chatpad but still not gone for it.

Fusion brain is a programme controlled switching module with analogue and digital output. it can be controlled as per your caliber to play with software.
Iam not that capable, so its still lying around unused. You can wire head lights, power windows, car ignition etc to it, but it may not be very practical unless its like say lights coming on after 6pm automatically, wipers operating with water sensor, A/c switching with temperature variation, power windows closing on carputer shut down etc.

Last edited by gigy : 27th November 2009 at 18:08.
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 19:02   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
Ok. Guys. after reading this post and confirmed with scott.
Silabs/ADS USB Radio on Windows 7 *** UPDATED 26th November 2009 *** - Centrafuse Carputer, CarPC & UMPC Forums
Silab will wotk fine with CF 3.0
Netarchie is also using Silab Radio in his Hondaputer.
So what says guys ? KMD Route ? Order Quantity ?
Hi Nisarg,
I am trying to use the silab radio, I have got it to recognize the pcear in CF3 and win7 (I am back on win 7 ;-)) using the plugin from the CF forum, But not able to play radio and also CF3 is crashing. Lets hope l this plugin is able to do the trick !
netarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2009, 18:12   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
You can very well consider liquid cooling if needed. see that the equipments selected are vibration proof.

Lcd on the steering is much more complicated than it looks like. one is its stabilization other is how to send data and power to it. you will have a coiled wire like in race cars hanging across the steering column. i had a plan to move xbox360 wirekless controller with chatpad but still not gone for it.

Fusion brain is a programme controlled switching module with analogue and digital output. it can be controlled as per your caliber to play with software.
Iam not that capable, so its still lying around unused. You can wire head lights, power windows, car ignition etc to it, but it may not be very practical unless its like say lights coming on after 6pm automatically, wipers operating with water sensor, A/c switching with temperature variation, power windows closing on carputer shut down etc.

I don't intend on doing it, was just asking..
about th eliquid cooling, the fan on my GFX card jammed, i presume because of dust. Now agreed that if the procc is liquid cooled, you'll have to ensure that there is alywas a ready supply of coolant [water or whatever you want to use], a heat exchange unit is well ventilated and there should be no leaks, then it might be a better solution.

PS: if and when i get a carPC, it'll be air cooled. was just curious about liquid cooling.
Old 28th November 2009, 19:41   #565
BHPian

How ever, Liquid cooling is not suggested for carputers cause its mobile and on indian roads liquid keeps jumping here and there and even a single leak can lead to disasters.
Old 1st January 2010, 21:25   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
After doing little more investigation on the product "Viliv x70", most of the requirements for the carputer are in-built and we do not have to manipulate our existing system too....

I am reviewing the upmc portal site from long time.... there are quite a few demos which can explain about the product in detail.

For the amount that we are planning to install carputer in our cars, this is a one stop solution for our projects.

Just to add, the cost of this piece is roughly coming to 40K inclusive of shipping for the base model....

well, if someone can buy from the abroad, it will turn much lesser price to avoid shipment charges.
I started researching for a GPS gadget for my car and finally concluded with a decision to purchase viliv x70. It is just perfect for my needs. x70 also has decent coverage on the web and plenty of positive reviews. I am not sure this is available in India, so have to source it from outside - I wish I had discovered this gadget before xmas holidays - not many people travelling now.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 08:34   #567
Senior - BHPian

Have anybody tried making a 5v power supply source to power usb hub, usb dvd gps and likes?
I am thinking of using few 7805 to do it. is ther a batter single IC which can give more current?
There is a new intel i5/i7 core based mini itx board available locally with DDR3 from DFI for about 8k if anyone is interested.
LANPARTY MI P55-T36 Expansion Slots
Old 21st January 2010, 12:59   #568
Senior - BHPian

7805 should do. The only problems I foresee are:
* Max. input voltage, which IIRC is ~9V or something - please check the datasheet. That would mean you will need to calculate, based on current drawn, the resistor at the input to drop 12/14.4V to below the max. input voltage
* Max. safe current through 7805 v/s what the application demands. Again, check the datasheet
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 23:53   #569
BHPian

Is there a place in chennai where i can get this done? i have a spare laptop that i could use for this thing. But i cant find anybody who does this though.
confusedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 20:50   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedguy View Post
Is there a place in chennai where i can get this done? i have a spare laptop that i could use for this thing. But i cant find anybody who does this though.
Any good audio installer should be able to do it depending on what all you want. decide on the location and ask them to place it using quality stuff. software part you will have to do.

i had downloaded sirfdemo and sirf flash and played around with it without realising the consequences.
the red light of my gps receiver went off & CF lost gps signal.
i thought its dead but tried destinator on it and found its changed to sirf at 57600 baud rate. then changed CF settings . now it locks in a minutes time. earlier it used to take 15min to few restarts of cf.