Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 11th March 2010, 02:09   #586
BHPian

CentraFusers. 3.1 Update is now available.
Grab it. Centrafuse 3.1 Update Has Arrived! - Centrafuse Carputer, CarPC & UMPC Forums
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 10:33   #587
BHPian

Jeez.. I read 40 pages of this thread in one go when in office. (Now, where's my boss )

I am also thinking to setup a carputer in a swift. This would be a DIY. Was evaluating my options when I hit this thread.

My only concern is about the power supply. Hitting Nehru Place yesterday to get some components. Would enquire about it there. Else, I'll go with an iRide supply.
StreetAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 14:01   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAddict View Post
Jeez.. I read 40 pages of this thread in one go when in office. (Now, where's my boss )

I am also thinking to setup a carputer in a swift. This would be a DIY. Was evaluating my options when I hit this thread.

My only concern is about the power supply. Hitting Nehru Place yesterday to get some components. Would enquire about it there. Else, I'll go with an iRide supply.
sir, please enlighten us about the prices of the components you were able to source from nehru place.

thanks
singh
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 14:59   #589
BANNED

Quote:
well all you can buy from nehru place is a mother board, processor ram and HDD.
i dont think you will be ale to find the VGA touch screen and the powersupply.
all the best with your setup.
monty9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 15:03   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
well all you can buy from nehru place is a mother board, processor ram and HDD.
i dont think you will be ale to find the VGA touch screen and the powersupply.
all the best with your setup.
even the wiring, cabinet and goodies such as the sound card and gps would be available from nehru place i believe.
Old 18th March 2010, 00:29   #591
BHPian

Isn't a DIY Case best for a CarPC ? Something made of thick glass/Plywood/Fibreglass ? I think a thick glass case of the order ~0.8cm thickness with chrome nuts would look cool and do the job...
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 00:42   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Isn't a DIY Case best for a CarPC ? Something made of thick glass/Plywood/Fibreglass ? I think a thick glass case of the order ~0.8cm thickness with chrome nuts would look cool and do the job...
+1 to that sir, box made from any such material would be successful as long as it is properly ventilated and prevents touching to different terminals on the mother board, which could lead to damage. but the acrylic glass sheet would be expensive than buying a ready-made cabinet.
Old 18th March 2010, 01:57   #593
BHPian

Hmm..I guess you're right. And don't call me 'Sir' , Mr. Singh, I'm just 16...
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 18:49   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
sir, please enlighten us about the prices of the components you were able to source from nehru place.

thanks
singh
I got an Intel D945GCLF2 (4.5k INR) & a 160 GB 2.5" HDD (1.8k) from there. Already have a 1 GB DDR2 module lying around so would be using that.

Most of the shopkeepers throw a look at you when you ask for a 7" touchscreen. The look gets weird when you tell them you are gonna build a carputer. Was advised to hit Gaffar market by many of them for it. Going there this weekend.

The smallest mini-ITX cabinet I found was too big then what I was looking for. So, the idea is to setup the mobo in the 2-Din cage (as already done by someone here)
Old 24th March 2010, 20:53   #595
BHPian

^
I agree with the weird expression part cause when I asked the shopkeeper for a 7" touchscreen monitor he gave me a weird look which actually made me laugh. then when I asked him for a small cabinet, He started giving me advies that small cabinets will result in motherboard failures cause of heat issues, then when he showed me few, They were almost the size of a sub woofer box, When I asked him for a smaller one than that, He again gave me a much more weird look.
I then asked him about USB hub designs and trackballs and other components, He was out of expressions and he finally asked me " Dude! what are you trying to do? A robot? A Bomb? "

I explained him the concept of carputer and then he was unable to react. I just smiled, Took whatall I needed and and left the store. That guy was completely speechless.
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 00:27   #596
BHPian

Quote:
I got an Intel D945GCLF2 (4.5k INR) & a 160 GB 2.5" HDD (1.8k) from there. Already have a 1 GB DDR2 module lying around so would be using that.

Most of the shopkeepers throw a look at you when you ask for a 7" touchscreen. The look gets weird when you tell them you are gonna build a carputer. Was advised to hit Gaffar market by many of them for it. Going there this weekend.

The smallest mini-ITX cabinet I found was too big then what I was looking for. So, the idea is to setup the mobo in the 2-Din cage (as already done by someone here)
thank you for you reply sir. i appreciate the effort you are putting into the project. i myself have have to visit karol bagh this week. even i'll try to source some stuff for the car pc. i think you'll be able to source the touch screen from ebay.
Old 25th March 2010, 10:09   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
i think you'll be able to source the touch screen from ebay.
Ebay, Amazon, 20 North, mp3car etc all have touchscreen options available. I would source from them in case I do not find any options locally.

Quote:
i myself have have to visit karol bagh this week. even i'll try to source some stuff for the car pc.
Do let us know your findings. I'll post mine this weekend.

Quote:
thank you for you reply sir. i appreciate the effort you are putting into the project.
Paaji. Maan jao. Sir is not a word to be used for a guy who was born just 25 years back!
Old 25th March 2010, 21:17   #598
BHPian

Update : Just ordered a 160 Watt Original M2-ATX automotive power supply from a Top class seller at Ebay. Costed $85 including shipping. There were cheaper options available but I wouldn't take a chance for something that has the potential to burn up everything I connect to it.
Old 25th March 2010, 21:35   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Update : Just ordered a 160 Watt Original M2-ATX automotive power supply from a Top class seller at Ebay. Costed $85 including shipping. There were cheaper options available but I wouldn't take a chance for something that has the potential to burn up everything I connect to it.
post the seller page link, or the product link so others also get help and can order it online.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 00:10   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Paaji. Maan jao. Sir is not a word to be used for a guy who was born just 25 years back!
but a guy born 19 years back can call a guy born 25 years back 'SIR'.