Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 23rd May 2011, 01:40   #721
BHPian

Default Re: The CarPC / Carputer Thread

@Anuj. Mo-co-so is very nice company for buying carputer stuffs. and chris is very helpful. I have dealt with them.
Shipping will be expensive(75$). 370+75=445 ( Roughly 20K) You can buy Case+PowerSupply+MSI MOBO under 15-16K easily.
What i suggest is that buy all these stuffs locally. You can check out iRide. Car PC Systems in Mumbai, India | Vehicle Infotainment Solutions | iRide Technologies
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 12:24   #722
BHPian

@Gurus: Can I use a VGA to RCA converter to send video signal to a normal LCD panel to act as secondary display. Something like this is available on Ebay, but the description states to check for TV-Out Capability of the Graphics Card.

NEW VGA to TV CONVERTER S-VIDEO+RCA OUT CABLE ADAPTER | eBay

Any more suggestion and help on more options like this is more than welcome.
diesel_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 20:58   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac
@Gurus: Can I use a VGA to RCA converter to send video signal to a normal LCD panel to act as secondary display. Something like this is available on Ebay, but the description states to check for TV-Out Capability of the Graphics Card.

NEW VGA to TV CONVERTER S-VIDEO+RCA OUT CABLE ADAPTER | eBay

Any more suggestion and help on more options like this is more than welcome.
This cable is not a convertor. So unless your display card supports TV out from vga port, it won't work.
If it supports TV out, then head to dealextreme for buy similar cables for a lot lot less.
Cheers

Last edited by gotzuk : 31st May 2011 at 21:21.
gotzuk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 19:56   #724

hey gigy need centrafuse pached ver.... it,s urgent,
patilsshree999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 22:37   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
This cable is not a convertor. So unless your display card supports TV out from vga port, it won't work.
If it supports TV out, then head to dealextreme for buy similar cables for a lot lot less.
Cheers
Are you sure about that? I think since both VGA and RCA use analog signals, this should work. And I've read somewhere (possibly on this forum) that this cable works, but does not give very good video quality.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 16:45   #726
BHPian

Has anyone tried meego in-vehicle infotainment on car-pc ?
currently it runs only on Intel Platform. too bad i have moved to AMD fusion.

https://meego.com/devices/in-vehicle/ivi-screenshots
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 16:53   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsshree999 View Post
hey gigy need centrafuse pached ver.... it,s urgent,
Hi, i don't have patched version. i bought licensed version from centrafuse
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 17:56   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
Has anyone tried meego in-vehicle infotainment on car-pc ? ...
I have - not impressed at all. They were trying to please too many people at the same time, and landed up pleasing none. In the end it feels like a smartphone trying to look grown up. Centrafuse is a product, Meego is a pretender - doesn't understand devices outside it, so one doesn't get a feeling of integration. I wish there was a CF port on Linux - at least it doesn't make any presumptions of what the user wants and keeps it open.

The binary works on any x86 processor, and should work on the AMD Fusion too.

BTW, Intel palmed Meego off (to Accenture IIRC!) and Nokia has too much trouble on their hands, so now it is anyone's imagination what will happen to Meego.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 21:40   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Are you sure about that? I think since both VGA and RCA use analog signals, this should work. And I've read somewhere (possibly on this forum) that this cable works, but does not give very good video quality.
The VGA output and RCA composite input are not compatible.
Unless the graphic card does TV OUT, this cable would not work at all.
There are some converters in the market for VGA-RCA Composite but they
are expensive (~30-300USD) and the results are not too good. A better option is to buy a graphic card with TV out capability and use a cheap VGA-RCA cable from eBay/Dxtreme.

Cheers

Last edited by gotzuk : 9th July 2011 at 21:48. Reason: General Incompetence
gotzuk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:12   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The binary works on any x86 processor, and should work on the AMD Fusion too.
Not too sure, it requires SSSE3 instructions to be supported by the CPU. I tried to run it on a virtual machine, and it hangs immediately after boot.
Quote:
BTW, Intel palmed Meego off (to Accenture IIRC!) and Nokia has too much trouble on their hands, so now it is anyone's imagination what will happen to Meego.
Now we know: after everyone washed their hand off, the project is renamed to Tizen, not sure if the stakeholders are serious though. We need to wait 6 months for a release, and 9 months for a device (likely a smartphone) to run it actually. Going by the records, by then the ownership may change again, delaying the project further :(

Anyways the sponsor of the project (Intel/Samsung) and most likely the development community aren't interested (and expert) in in-vehicle devices, so I am not greatly hopeful about seamless integration with other car peripherals (especially OBD).
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 20:14   #731
BHPian

Came across this PC-in-a-Keyboard at Cybernet and thought I will share it here.
It has a Intel Atom based PC inside and looks like a very good starting point for a carpc setup. Here is what the webpage has to say:

The CarPC / Carputer Thread-keyboard_computer_3.jpg

The CarPC / Carputer Thread-keyboard_computer_4.jpg

A Powerful PC in a Keyboard
The ZPC-D5 is the ultimate in space-saving PC technology, with the performance and reliability needed for today's business applications. You can turn any monitor into a computer instantly. Easy to install, deploy, and maintain, this keyboard PC can be up and running in a manner of minutes. Its small form factor gives IT managers the flexibility to deploy the unit wherever it may be needed across the enterprise.

High Performance
The Intel® Dual Core D525 Processor with DDR3 support gives you all the power you need to run even the most demanding applications in banking, health care, retail or any industry. This keyboard PC can also accommodate any size of hard drive or capacity. Cybernet can also help customize your unit by installing a higher-capacity hard drive, or your chosen OS and productivity software. You'll be ready to go when you open the box.
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 11:36   #732
Senior - BHPian

Nice concept, but the first blocking point in considering it for a CarPC would be mounting. Consider the fact that you will need to connect a few cables to it, and you can't but think how problematic it will be to stow it and take it out with the cables connected.

A keyboard and mouse are (should be) the least of the worries, since one doesn't use that interface often. The touchscreen provides a decent interface method for operating (think what will you need when driving), which needs a kbd/mouse only when either something needs to be configured or you need to diagnose a problem.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 14:53   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Nice concept, but the first blocking point in considering it for a CarPC would be mounting. Consider the fact that you will need to connect a few cables to it, and you can't but think how problematic it will be to stow it and take it out with the cables connected.
What you say is absolutely correct if you look at it as an input device as well as a PC.

But look at the unit as just an ultra slim pc enclosure.
Super easy to hide away under the dash or front seats and a brave DIY'er could even hack the unit to remove the optical drive and make it even more compact.
In such a scenario it ticks all the right boxes for a noob planning to go the carpc route.
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 11:27   #734
Senior - BHPian

It definitely ticks all the right boxes, no doubt, for everyone except some who want a professional sound workstation/desktop-like power in a CarPC. Any idea of the price? This is a nifty alternative to netboxes meant for internet-access centers.

One need not hack the unit (one doesn't gain any advantage). If this unit has a hard cover to cover the keyboard (to prevent the keys getting accidentally pressed), and the connecting cables are dressed together tightly, one can easily stick it into the space between the seat and the gear lever console of most cars.

A slightly costlier alternative for mounting is using the double-pantograph retractable mounts available from kitchen cabinet guys (one can see it in kitchen ads with a mixie mounted on it). The mount can be anchored below the glove box, and extended out when needed.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 13:59   #735
BHPian

How about using a decently powerful tab (say mercury mtab) try and install Ubuntu into this (check galaxytabhacks.com) and use an usb sound card to get decent sound out of this. What we get is a 7" touch screen compact pc with decent media playing capability at a lower cost. Has anyone in this forum done this? Any thought on pros and cons?

Venki
venki7744 is offline   Reply With Quote