Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 23rd October 2012, 17:42   #811
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The CarPC / Carputer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
@badboyscad which case is it ? can it accommodate sound card ?
Sorry for the late reply, it is a bybyte BBX-1 case. And no, it can not house a soundcard.
badboyscad is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:58   #812
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,

I am back to this thread for some help.
Now, after a long long wait, I have finally procured all the needed parts for the Carputer. The list goes as follows:

MB: Intel Atom D425KT
HDD: Will procure once testing is done.
Screen: VN70 from short-circuit
USB HUB: Powered one from Enter, it has a 230V adapter, can anybody tell me how can I power it in the car. (it requires 5V)
RAM: 4GB
Case: DIY.
PSU: M2-ATX 160W

Now the what gauge power cables (battery to PSU) should I use? I am thinking of using 2mm\14AWG, Will that be sufficient of handling a current of 160W\12V=13Amps?

Should i purchase a ciggy. lighter extender that has 2-3 ports?

The PSU did'nt came with P4-P4 female power connector? Any idea how could I make a DIY connector?

Last edited by mercedised : 22nd November 2012 at 12:00.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:45   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
... HDD: Will procure once testing is done. ...
Err... what will you test the setup with? Please get a HDD first, assemble the rig at home with a mains-powered PSU, and finally put it in the car. There will be very few unknowns to deal with this way. The alternative is to boot off of a USB pendrive.

Quote:
... USB HUB: Powered one from Enter ...
You don't need it. The MB has 4 USB ports. Anything more will be an overkill. Minimize the stuff that you put in, and you will minimize failures.

Quote:
... Now the what gauge power cables (battery to PSU) should I use? I am thinking of using 2mm\14AWG, ...
Use any >= 3.5sqmm multi-strand teflon-coated wire / cable. Pull a connection directly from Bat +ive, through it's own in-line fuse (accessory shops have that; 25-30A will do). Don't forget to route it through a conveniently located switch. There are times that you don't want the CarPC to be running - like on a short multiple stop trip.

Quote:
... Should i purchase a ciggy. lighter extender that has 2-3 ports? ...
Don't - not necessary.

Quote:
... The PSU did'nt came with P4-P4 female power connector? Any idea how could I make a DIY connector?
Go to the nearest electronics market. Someone should be able to purloin it out of a discarded desktop PSU and a 4-pole connector. Make sure it is wired correctly.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:31   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Err... what will you test the setup with? Please get a HDD first, assemble the rig at home with a mains-powered PSU, and finally put it in the car. There will be very few unknowns to deal with this way. The alternative is to boot off of a USB pendrive.
I have a HDD already in stock but I will not be using that in the car and I have yet to finalize on the HDD size. Looking for something under 1500 INR for a used one.

Quote:
You don't need it. The MB has 4 USB ports. Anything more will be an overkill. Minimize the stuff that you put in, and you will minimize failures.
I could ofcourse use the 4 ports of the MB, but I will have to run 4 USB extensions right from the back to the front of the car. Any tips for avoiding this.

Quote:
Use any >= 3.5sqmm multi-strand teflon-coated wire / cable. Pull a connection directly from Bat +ive, through it's own in-line fuse (accessory shops have that; 25-30A will do). Don't forget to route it through a conveniently located switch. There are times that you don't want the CarPC to be running - like on a short multiple stop trip.
Thanks for the suggestion I will be using a 3mm+ wire. So, should I give the ground too from battery or from chassis. The battery ground seems tobe more safe to me. The switch and fuse will be done at 1st priority.

Quote:
Go to the nearest electronics market. Someone should be able to purloin it out of a discarded desktop PSU and a 4-pole connector. Make sure it is wired correctly.
Thanks found 2 discarded PSU's in my office itself and just now I have finished fabricating the cable.

Now, I am thinking to take a wire off the Ignition fuse (located in fuse box) instead of cutting the ignition wire and then affecting the OEM wiring. Will this be good? A switch, should it be provided here too?

About PSU, What setting should I use P0, P1,... etc. I looked at the manual and they recommend P1.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:01   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Looking for something under 1500 INR for a used one. ...
Use a new 2.5" laptop HDD. You never know when the old one fails.

Quote:
... 4 USB extensions right from the back to the front of the car....
I assume it is in your Safari. Why mount at the back? You can put it under the front passenger seat. The only equipment that will need you to access the USB port often for will be pen-drives and maybe an Internet dongle. For that you can use a simple USB extension cable terminated near the display.

BTW, where are you going to mount the display?

Quote:
... should I give the ground too from battery or from chassis. The battery ground seems tobe more safe to me. ...
Use the nearest chassis point, like the seat mounting bolt.

Quote:
... I am thinking to take a wire off the Ignition fuse (located in fuse box) instead of cutting the ignition wire and then affecting the OEM wiring. Will this be good? A switch, should it be provided here too? ...
I think you mean the Ignition Switch wire (for connecting to the PSU for reset) or ACC signal. Locate the wire going to the HU (red/yellow IIRC - check), and splice to that. The HU harness adapter is the convenient place to connect.

Quote:
... About PSU, What setting should I use P0, P1,... etc. I looked at the manual and they recommend P1.
No idea what you are referring to! Best is the default setting it came with, if I am catching your drift.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:13   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I assume it is in your Safari. Why mount at the back? You can put it under the front passenger seat. The only equipment that will need you to access the USB port often for will be pen-drives and maybe an Internet dongle. For that you can use a simple USB extension cable terminated near the display.
Yes, the passenger seat is a convenient location, but you know my Safari has a water drinking habit in rains, so all the carpets become wet when it rains, I am still unable to find the cause and hence am resisting to put the PC in that spot.

Quote:
BTW, where are you going to mount the display?
As you thought, it would be right above the AC middle vents, just like a fellow member (who owns Red Safari) has mounted it.

Quote:
No idea what you are referring to! Best is the default setting it came with, if I am catching your drift.
I was talking about the jumper setting which controls the PC off time when the ignition is OFF. in P1 mode it gives PC 1 min to shut off.

BTW, I have just tested the Touchscreen by loading its drivers in my current PC and it is working fine just as it should. Now, next willbe the Powersupply.

Oh, I forgot to mention what about the DVD drive? Where should be its location?
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:00   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... water drinking habit in rains, so all the carpets become wet when it rains, I am still unable to find the cause and hence am resisting to put the PC in that spot. ...
Oops, that's nasty. Leak below windscreen / behind dash, if it is not the door seal. Hope it is only in the front. The service guys can find it with pressure wash.

Doesn't matter. Mount the cabinet on a thick plastic sheet (larger than the cabinet base area) to keep moisture from affecting it. Unless someone does you know what on the seat, no water will drip on top of the cabinet below the seat!

Quote:
... P1 mode it gives PC 1 min to shut off. ...
Thought so. Actually no delay is good enough, since you will need 2-3 minutes if you switch off at traffic light.

Quote:
... DVD drive? Where should be its location?
Why would you need one at all??? If you really need one, keep a USB DVD drive in the seat pocket or glove box, and connect whenever you want.
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:37   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thought so. Actually no delay is good enough, since you will need 2-3 minutes if you switch off at traffic light.

Why would you need one at all??? If you really need one, keep a USB DVD drive in the seat pocket or glove box, and connect whenever you want.
Thanks a very much for your prompt inputs. That USB dvd-drive idea did'nt clicked in my little head.

BTW, Some update on this issue, I did'nt had a battery for testing the whole setup, so took the 12V DC from normal SMPS and connected to the inputs of ATX Powersupply. Everything is working and I am tempted to put all this into my car.

Yeah, also a 80mm fan, would it do the job?

Last edited by mercedised : 22nd November 2012 at 15:39.
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:58   #819
Senior - BHPian

Try it without a fan first, and check how much the CPU temp rises in the mounting position. Yes, 80mm is good enough, provided the air flow is routing correctly inside the cabinet.

Haste makes waste, so be patient and do it methodically. Otherwise you will land up with something that fails early!
Old 30th November 2012, 12:25   #820
BHPian

mercedised : D425KT is mini-ITX which matches 2-DIN specifications. Why don't you mount it where a normal HU goes?

Also, I'd suggest using the connector which is used to connect HUs to the wiring harness. This is fused, has both +ve & ground wires & you'll be free from running a separate fused wire from the battery!
Attached Images

StreetAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 12:36   #821
Senior - BHPian

Finally I have given up Windows for car pc and now looking to move out to android tablet for car AV and navigation use.
Looking out for best possible option, should meet following requirements-
7 or lesser size as it will be mounted over rear view mirror.
Front and back camera
GPS receiver
Full hd play capable
Video out feature/ Hemingway
Good sound quality
Can withstand temperature
Hard disk support.
Cost effective.

Need suggestions on this as I am not in touch with world as usual due workload.
Happened to see a milagrow model in a magazine which meets most of the requirements.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 15:08   #822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAddict View Post
... D425KT is mini-ITX which matches 2-DIN specifications ...
Good idea, but ...
* Safari has a 1DIN location only
* Unless he is using an amp, he will need the HU to play the music
* If there is an HU, no point in throwing it out for peanuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Front and back camera
GPS receiver
Full hd play capable
Video out feature/ Hemingway
Good sound quality
Can withstand temperature
Hard disk support.
Cost effective. ...
* Full HD - difficult to find in lower end ones. In cheaper ones, difficult to believe unless one reads the 'native resolution' of the display
* No analog video IN or OUT - you will have to figure out how to convert HDMI (if present) to get these
* Good sound quality? No better or worse than the cheap MP3 players
* Cost effective - what criteria? Or do you mean 'cheap'? There are a ton of 7" tablets out there (haven't seen any less than that, other than Samsung Note - and that is not exactly cheap). Best would be to go to a place like Croma or Reliance Digital where you can get to check the models out. Milagrow is online ordering only, I think (I may be wrong) - never found it in a shop. Don't buy without actually trying it - beware of Buyer's remorse

What is 'Hemingway' here?
Old 30th November 2012, 15:22   #823
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, that was sent from phone and it was auto correction for hdmi which i didn't notice.
hdmi to AV is manageable but I hope soon headrest displays should be available which can take hdmi.
Reviews of milagrow are available in flipkart but nowadays cant believe them completely due to flipkart practices of deleting what they don't like.

One choice is samsung P3100

Anybody used the tabs from mapmyindia?

Upto 20k is ok for this project
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 17:11   #824
Senior - BHPian

Samsung P3100 doesn't have HDMI (I have one).

Avoid the MMI tab - it is just a white-labelled generic tab running Android. Might as well run Sygic on the Samsung tab with MMI maps.

Don't rely on reviews in the selling sites either - they are cooked up most times. And yes, those guys habitually delete what they don't like - doesn't server their purpose.
Old 2nd December 2012, 08:55   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Samsung P3100 doesn't have HDMI (I have one).
Dont know about the P3100, but I have the older P1000. The desktop dock that connects to this P1000 HAS an HDMI out along with regular stereo and USB out.

http://www.expansys.in/samsung-desk-...xy-tab-201993/

I used the Desktop Dock when mounting the P1000 in my Gypsy.

Maybe there is a similar dock available for the newer P3100?
COUGAR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote