Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 20th December 2007, 23:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default A simple setup for my M800

Hi!

I've been planning to upgrade the setup in my 800 from a very long time.

The intention was simple:

1. Absolutely no Bling-Bling stuff. Simple and should sound good. Should not require damping or high-end speaker wires etc.

2. Should be of minimal to average budget - security being one of the prime criteria. I generally park this car anywhere I want. Besides, this is not one of the safer cars around in this regard. I'll think about a better setup in a better car, which is far away from now.

Here is the list of equipment:

1. HU: I have a Pioneer DEH 5850 MP Head unit from about a year. It has 2 pre-outs, out of which one can be converted into Aux-in. It can also be switched between Full-Speaker and Sub out.

I paid about 7,500/- for it when I bought it (roughly a year ago as mentioned above).

2. Front Speakers: I've got JBLs in my other car. Not that I've had enough of them or something, but after listening to Infinity, I kinda liked the way they sounded.

My friend got himself Infinity Reference 605CS components and he didn't want to cut the door panels in his (old) Zen. Obviously, he didn't know about the stock locations beforehand. They were brand new and lying around with him. I bought them from him.

3. Rear Speakers: I've got 937s here.

4. Amplifier: Sony 604. lol. I don't want to spend on wires and damping and blah blah blah. Something that can drive my components reasonably well and drive a sub is just enough. I mean enough. I will mostly play at low to average volume.

5. Wiring: Tsunami RCAs. Most of the stock wires have been used. I've tried to install decent quality power and speaker wires.

The install pictures will follow in my next post.....
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 00:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

The car:

I didn't expect it to look any better than this, for a 10 year old car:

The door panels being cut:

This was the only possible slot (AFAIK) for the mid-bass:

After using two spacer rings, the mid-basses were mounted:

Tweeter mounted:

Old 21st December 2007, 00:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Components:

937s are mounted on the rear door:

(Sorry about the bad picture quality)

Amplifier mounted on the back of the rear seat:

I will post the sub and final install pictures as soon as the job is done.

Thanks for reading. Cheers!

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 21st December 2007 at 00:18.
Old 21st December 2007, 00:36   #4
BHPian

Nice!! The setup compliments the car.....I hope you must be satisfied with the sound quality.

Congrats!!!

Happy Listening.

PS: how much did the infinity speakers cost?
amit_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 01:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

man do you call this simple audio set-up?
well no offence here, imo atleast for me this is way above average!, i would be more than happy with this kind of setup!,i would include another amp(2-channel) for the rear alone, and put in a pioneer 800w woofer on the 600w amp!

well by the way, how much did the infinity components cost you? and whats the market price?

Last edited by rider60 : 21st December 2007 at 01:16.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 02:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

nice setup there rocksterraghu. Loved the way tweeters and rear speakers are mounted.

2 questions though

1. You have mounted the rear speakers on the boot lid don't u need damping there ? Are they working perfectly fine because i personally will love to install speakers that way in my car too rather than boxes or tray.

2. Do the rear speakers sound good compared to speakers in boxes and tray ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 04:38   #7
BANNED

Nice and detailed install thread. Loved going thru it (Read it 2 times infact).

Nice equipment. Good, clean install job. I'm sure you're enjoying it each and every moment it plays.

You don't have to be very badly impressed with your Sony amp. It does it's job well for it's worth. Some may find these amps a bit harsh, but that can be managed by a bit of tuning in properly.

Yes! The 6X9s in the boot door of an 800 sounds far better than in parcel tray if installed properly. (Been there, done that earlier).

Congrats! Enjoy maadi.

Last edited by speedzak : 21st December 2007 at 04:42.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 08:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Really nice install, Raghu! Congrats! Like the others said, it is not a "basic" install

I guess you took some time with the installers to see it done properly, huh? the result definitely shows!

And do I smell an upgrade in the Baleno? Or is it that the 800 is your runabout for a while?
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 08:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am planning for a similar setup. but calling this an average setup? i thought this a \pretty good and an above average setup.

a 12inch enclosed sub? is that what you are getting? because that what i am planning to get in mine.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 10:33   #10
Team-BHP Support

why is the crossover outside. I'd have hidden it. there is nothing in the XO that one needs to adjust frequently.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 11:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
man do you call this simple audio set-up?

well by the way, how much did the infinity components cost you? and whats the market price?
Thank you rider. Well, it is pretty. Wait till I disclose the cost incurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
nice setup there rocksterraghu. Loved the way tweeters and rear speakers are mounted.

2 questions though

1. You have mounted the rear speakers on the boot lid don't u need damping there ? Are they working perfectly fine because i personally will love to install speakers that way in my car too rather than boxes or tray.

2. Do the rear speakers sound good compared to speakers in boxes and tray ?
Thanks a lot, Abibh.

1 -> As Zak mentioned, they sound much better there. I'll post some pictures taken in the day and you'll see that they look much better too. The boot space is saved to an extent.

The only drawback is that the boot door doesn't hang on when opened - because of the speakers' weight. Somebody has to hold the boot door while you remove the spare wheel.

2 -> This is one question I can confidently answer. I think ovals sound best on MDF tray. The next best option would be the boot door. I've somehow never had good experience with boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Nice and detailed install thread. Loved going thru it (Read it 2 times infact).

Nice equipment. Good, clean install job. I'm sure you're enjoying it each and every moment it plays.

You don't have to be very badly impressed with your Sony amp. It does it's job well for it's worth. Some may find these amps a bit harsh, but that can be managed by a bit of tuning in properly.

Thanks Zak, thank you very much. Your words of appreciation mean a lot.

The Sony amp isn't really bad, but I thought Infinity/JBL fans would start firing at me for installing a Sony amp. That is why I made it clear about the reason behind this choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Really nice install, Raghu! Congrats! Like the others said, it is not a "basic" install

I guess you took some time with the installers to see it done properly, huh? the result definitely shows!

And do I smell an upgrade in the Baleno? Or is it that the 800 is your runabout for a while?
Thank you so much Hydra! Any of this, I mean any of these cars wouldn't have sounded even half as good if not for you and Team-BHP.

Yes, I did monitor and instruct the installer at every stage. It was a learning experience for both of us. I enjoyed every bit of it, but I'm not sure if he did. lol.

You're getting too smart with guesses these days. Upgrade in Baleno planned, but not so soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
why is the crossover outside. I'd have hidden it. there is nothing in the XO that one needs to adjust frequently.
I agree sir. In fact, the crossover has absolutely no adjustments inside.

I tried installing the crossovers behind the dash, behind the console - everywhere but failed. There is not enough space to install 2 crossovers in one place. lol.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 21st December 2007 at 11:15.
Old 21st December 2007, 11:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

About the cost of Infinity components, I got them for 3,500/- from my friend. Totally, I have spent

3,500/- (Components)
4,400/- (937s)
4,000/- (Sony 4-channel amplifier)
1,500/- (Wiring and stuff)

Will update the sub and enclosure prices later in the day. Cheers!
Old 21st December 2007, 11:59   #13
NIP
Senior - BHPian

nice setup raghu i'm a fan of the 'old style' M800. just wondering about that amp...is it with b&w ? thats the most decent looking sony amp i've seen till date !
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 12:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Why does the tweeter protrude out so much?

Cool setup for the bujjet!
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 12:35   #15
RAC
BHPian

Congrats Raghu on the install.
one question though - is it inconvenient to wind up the front windows. What is the gap between the edges of the spacer and the handle.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote