Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 28th March 2008, 17:29   #106
BHPian

Wink Correct Again !!

Hi !

You are right;

This is OK, if one has Stegs to use.
Then any HU can work, since all the 'tinkering' happens with 'chips' in the Amplifier.

However, if you do not have Stegs, then which HU can be used ?
That is how this topic has been progressing.

The illustration is good, but it is only applicable for Steg's

If Steg's are not being used, then Which HU can be used to do this ?
That is the Million Dollar Question.

Thanks LBM for the illustration.

BHAGWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 17:42   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAGWAN View Post
Spot on Sir !

I am still lost;
Why are we discussing TA on an Active Install thread ?

Most guys here are talking about Bi Amplification of he stegSpeakers, not Active Amplification of Components with Active X-Overs !!!!
I dont think we were discussing TA in particular. Please read the post No. 127. navinji said "Gunbir and B&T might be able to list those that do"

i replied listing the amps i thought could do TA with modules.

i don't really understand whats confusing you.

cheers

P..S. - I didn't read your last reply.

No HU can do front + rear + sub active.

Last edited by clipto333 : 28th March 2008 at 17:46.
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 17:44   #108
Senior - BHPian

For a 3 way+sub setup in which there is

1. Front tweeter
2. Front Midrange
3. Front Midbass
4. Sub (front or back)

Then one can use

1. Pioneer P9 combo
2. Alpine PXA-H701
3. Alpine PXI-H990
4. Clarion HX-D2

There will be more but these are more popular ones.

For a 3way front + 3 way rear + sub there is no HU in this world. One will need to put external crossovers for the same.

For a 2 way + sub normal HU like Alpine 9887, P80 can do the job.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 17:48   #109
BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
I dont think we were discussing TA in particular. Please read the post No. 127. navinji said "Gunbir and B&T might be able to list those that do"
It was started by Active V/S Passive - Post # 107 & 108 I think.

TA was never asked for my Million Swords - I think !!!
Old 28th March 2008, 17:52   #110
Senior - BHPian

Cool

Quote:
However, if you do not have Stegs, then which HU can be used ? That is how this topic has been progressing.

If Steg's are not being used, then Which HU can be used to do this ?
That is the Million Dollar Question.
In fact many amplifiers will let you do the same architecture. Some do it with HW modules, some do it with precision pots (knobs), some with digital interface. While accuracy of each method may differ, the concept is the same.

So the answer to your question is: there is no one box HU solution that will let you do Active Front 2way + Active Rear 2way + Sub.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 18:19   #111
BHPian

Quote:
It was started by Active V/S Passive - Post # 107 & 108 I think.

TA was never asked for my Million Swords - I think !!!
Sir,

I didn't start anything. i just replied to navinji. That's it. It were your questions which were being answered. I think navinji thought you would need TA with active XO's so he asked Gunbir and b&t if they could list amps that can do TA. Whats so confusing in that?

The active vs passive thing was over in a few posts and shifted to you wanting to reinstall you setup in RS actively plus the discussion on HU that can do active.

cheers

Last edited by clipto333 : 28th March 2008 at 18:31.
Old 31st March 2008, 12:52   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
So the answer to your question is: there is no one box HU solution that will let you do Active Front 2way + Active Rear 2way + Sub.
B, there you have it.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 13:57   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
OT.

Hi sk,

Sk, how much did you buy the HU for? does it have an xo and eq? iirc, your HU doesn't have an xo but im confused about the eq part. what about mp3? sorry for asking too many questions.

oh, i will google the info if i can find something.

cheers.

P.S. - A lengthy audition is due sk. im gonna visit delhi soon and it will be an audio only trip. No distractions lol. I did listen to your setup for a few minutes but it would have been great if i had the time.
No EQ, NO XO. NOO MP3 .Simple playback with jsut a sub level and bass.treble ,balance fader adjsutments only . I paid 23K for it about 2 yrs ago. I am talking about the Kenwood KCD 01 that I have in my car .( not to confuse with the HX D2 that was being discussed .- which is a a killer HU IMO- which iunfortunatly only santa can give me .)

Auditions are always available for music lovers.

Last edited by sk456 : 31st March 2008 at 14:08.
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:43   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
No EQ, NO XO. NOO MP3 .Simple playback with jsut a sub level and bass.treble ,balance fader adjsutments only . I paid 23K for it about 2 yrs ago. I am talking about the Kenwood KCD 01 that I have in my car .( not to confuse with the HX D2 that was being discussed .- which is a a killer HU IMO- which iunfortunatly only santa can give me .)

Auditions are always available for music lovers.
Thanks sk. I was confused what it did. Its a beautiful Head Unit.

Will send you a PM when im in Del.

cheers
clip
Old 3rd April 2008, 22:48   #115
BHPian

Lightbulb exactly !

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
B, there you have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Thank you;

I rest my case.

Old 31st May 2008, 17:00   #116
BHPian

Lightbulb Active 3-Way on a cash strapped budget

I have a Santro and am currently running the following setup,

Amplification: 2*4 ch amps = 8 channels of amplification.

Speakers: 2 pairs of 6.5'' 2-way components.
Sub: One 12'' sub in a sealed enclosure.

Head Unit: Clarion DXZ 775 USB

Currently, the components are running off one 4 ch amp and the sub is running off 2 bridged channels of the other amp.

My brains been wandering recently between studies and the following came to my head.

The Mid-bass driver is mounted on Mdf ring on the door and the tweeter some 10'' above it. I have a 4'' co-ax lying around, which would fit the stock, in-dash location in the Santro.

As my HU has on-board 3-Way Active crossovers, i'm thinking if
the 4'' co-ax can be linked to the two-way components and wired to the HU crossover to go 3-way active Jugaad style. Thus, in total, 6 ch of amplification would be required and the remaining 2 channels, bridged to drive the sub as usual.
  • Is such a set-up possible ?
  • The improvement / degradation in SQ from doing so ?
  • The stress on the individual components and the electricals?
  • As little as i understand, a capacitor will have to be wired in series with the 4'' driver to tune it to the vocal frequencies.
  • So assuming that i have indeed been on the right track so far, i'll have a 6.5'' driver on mdf ring in the door that'll be fed mid-bass, a 4'' driver in the stock dash location that'll be fed mid-range(vocal) and a tweeter in the door that'll be fed the high frequencies.
  • The other pair of components fitted on the rear doors shall be run off the HU and the sub from the two remaining amp channels.
Awaiting your comments and expert guidance.
St. Anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 11:26   #117
BHPian

Guess the ICEPerts are busy. Anyways, i'm going DIY on this hack job today. Will keep the updates coming. Hoping to be assisted by the ICEPerts on this one.
Old 1st June 2008, 16:22   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
  • Is such a set-up possible ?
  • The improvement / degradation in SQ from doing so ?
  • The stress on the individual components and the electricals?
  • As little as i understand, a capacitor will have to be wired in series with the 4'' driver to tune it to the vocal frequencies.
  • So assuming that i have indeed been on the right track so far, i'll have a 6.5'' driver on mdf ring in the door that'll be fed mid-bass, a 4'' driver in the stock dash location that'll be fed mid-range(vocal) and a tweeter in the door that'll be fed the high frequencies.
  • The other pair of components fitted on the rear doors shall be run off the HU and the sub from the two remaining amp channels.
Awaiting your comments and expert guidance.
  • yes
  • It will improve SQ
  • no stress if configured properly
  • yes a cap and a inductor also as the cap will be a High pass filter and the inductor will be a Low pass because if both the 4 inch and the tweeter will be playing the high freq which is not correct. Same will go for the midbass. The midbass HPF can be controlled from the amp but a indcutor will be need for the cut off the high freq.
  • ok report.
  • ok here also.
If you have 8 channels. Try getting a 3 way active crossover so that you can control everything everything active. and no need for passive crossovers.
Old 3rd June 2008, 23:26   #119
BHPian

LBM Bhai, thanks for the encouraging news. As of now, i couldn't work on my car. Spent the entire day installing ICE in a Marina and my friends Santro instead.

With the three way setup, this noob will need guidance, somewhere on the lines of ''3-way active for dummies''.

You have said that i should try getting a 3 way active crossover, but my HU features 'Digital 3 way cross over', from this i gathered that i will not need an external cross over, all i'll need is 6 channels of amplification. Am i on the right track or have i gone off track ?

Also, please elaborate on the values of the cap and the inductor required, along with the wiring requirements.
Old 4th June 2008, 00:52   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post

You have said that i should try getting a 3 way active crossover, but my HU features 'Digital 3 way cross over', from this i gathered that i will not need an external cross over, all i'll need is 6 channels of amplification. Am i on the right track or have i gone off track ?

Also, please elaborate on the values of the cap and the inductor required, along with the wiring requirements.

you can do it with your HU but it will do 3-way not 4-way active which you want. You would need external 3-way for the tweeter, midrange, midbass. You can control the sub from the HU directly. Give a 80 hz HPF singal to the crossover and control all the freq from there.

The value of caps and inductor will depend on the cross over points you choose. But I would recommend a active setup here.