Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2008, 17:56   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 2,222
Thanked: 11 Times
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
is there a standard to determine how the amp would behave, Like I have an amp which is 230 W @ 2 ohms @ 14.4V then ??? W @ 2ohms @ 12V?
Similar doubt...Which amp ?

If Im not mistake our beloved 75.4 came with ratings of 14.4v as well as 12v. So does it mean depending on the time (driving, no lights or A/C) the baby is infact capable of putting out a little more due to a cleaner higher power supply?
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 17:57   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
achha one thing more.... is there a standard to determine how the amp would behave (read output) at different volts. Like I have an amp which is 230 W @ 2 ohms @ 14.4V then ??? W @ 2ohms @ 12V?
It will depends on lots of parameters. So one cannot say thumb rule can be 20 % less.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 18:05   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,652
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

what parameters LBM? Can you please elaborate? If I need to find out how my 301.1 behaves @ 12 V, how can I?
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 21:10   #34
BHPian
 
clipto333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jalandhar
Posts: 912
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Sir If I am competing in a SPL competition I would defiantly invest to extract max from my setup because each DB counts.

Sir I also seriously doubt the 42 volts setup. I think it will be either 24 volts or 48 volts because of the standard batteries available in the market and not 42 volts.
for a competition, even i would do that. i was talking about normal operation(listening to music) i a competition 1 db is a lot. one can loose by .1db.

and regarding the voltage, i will confirm. let me find that article. it said the battery voltage will be somewhere in the 35-40v range and the alt would put out 42v.

it could be 48v but not in this article. it was 42v im sure. i will confirm once i find and read it again. i could be wrong.

cheers
clip
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 22:47   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
what parameters LBM? Can you please elaborate? If I need to find out how my 301.1 behaves @ 12 V, how can I?
Sir all depends on the amp power supply. Some are rated at 14.4 volts and some at 13.8 and some at 12 and some at 11 also. Normal car voltage I would take as 12 volts after all the accessory are working. So consider the amp which is having 12 volts anyday.

This happens because the power supply of these type of amp is not regulated. when the input increases the output increases. but in a regulated amp if there is variation in voltage till they are rated at they give full output.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 02:49   #36
BHPian
 
clipto333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jalandhar
Posts: 912
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Sir all depends on the amp power supply. Some are rated at 14.4 volts and some at 13.8 and some at 12 and some at 11 also. Normal car voltage I would take as 12 volts after all the accessory are working. So consider the amp which is having 12 volts anyday.

This happens because the power supply of these type of amp is not regulated. when the input increases the output increases. but in a regulated amp if there is variation in voltage till they are rated at they give full output.
lbm, even if the amp is rated at 14.4v one can approximate the output level at 12v. so, one can get an amp which has higher output at 14.4v than required. this will make sure one has the required output at 12v. for e.g. one if one has a 1000w sub he can get an amp which is rated 20-30% more than the sub at 14.4v. i think it is quite doable. what do you say?

and how much would a tightly regulated amp cost? i think they should be quite expensive. one has to buy something like audison or steg to have a 12v ratiing,
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 13:18   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
lbm, even if the amp is rated at 14.4v one can approximate the output level at 12v. so, one can get an amp which has higher output at 14.4v than required. this will make sure one has the required output at 12v. for e.g. one if one has a 1000w sub he can get an amp which is rated 20-30% more than the sub at 14.4v. i think it is quite doable. what do you say?

and how much would a tightly regulated amp cost? i think they should be quite expensive. one has to buy something like audison or steg to have a 12v ratiing,
It vaires from Model to model. Like the Alpine MRD-M1005 was like this

1000 x 1 at 2 ohms 14.4 volts
700 x 1 at 2 ohms 12 volts
700 x 1 at 4 ohms 14.4 volts
500 x 1 at 4 ohms 12 volts

Not the new series PDX amp from Alpine is having these specs.

1000W x 1 at 2 ohms 14.4 volts
1000W x 1 at 4 ohms 14.4 volts

one more model of pioneer 3000 spl its

1000 x 1 at 4 ohms 14.4 volts
500 x 1 at 2 ohms 14.4 volts

Now I think you got a good picture so there is no thumb rule for the amp specs that is why the CEA rating is made so that to compare there are certain parameters. in which all the parmeters are kept constant to get a stable result.

Yes STEG has a regulated supply down to 11 volts. anything till 11 volts it will give the same rated output.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 00:39   #38
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,508
Thanked: 3,883 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Yes STEG has a regulated supply down to 11 volts. anything till 11 volts it will give the same rated output.
The Steg will work fine but your headlights might dim a bit at 11V.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 01:39   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The Steg will work fine but your headlights might dim a bit at 11V.
Very true Navin Ji. But one very interesting thing I wanna add here. I have installed HID in the projector and in the fog lights also. When I increase the bass the fog light HID dims with the music but not the projector one. So I think the Project HID ballast are better built and have a more regulated output when compared to the fog light ballast.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Different Service Schedules for Different Cars Vishesh Technical Stuff 22 15th August 2012 17:07
Cost of ECU - Indica Lsi | Different Dealers ,different prices ! shiva_cool87 Technical Stuff 6 7th January 2010 17:43
Is the immobiliser technology different in different cars? n.devdath Technical Stuff 3 12th November 2009 18:59
How different fuel brands work on different cars-Fifth gear video nitrous Technical Stuff 2 18th March 2007 12:05
Different Speaker Brands = Different sound for same/similar music ? normally_crazy In-Car Entertainment 10 29th August 2006 12:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks