Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2008, 23:26   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

In my car these 2 noises occur. Though not consistently. At times, there's none.
A. Alternator whine
B. Slight krrrrrrrrrrr from the speakers.

B has been almost fully eliminated by grounding the HU RCAs to the HU casing. Do the amp RCA sockets also need similar grounding?

Why do these noises crop up? They were not there post initial install.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 00:24   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
In my car these 2 noises occur. Though not consistently. At times, there's none.
A. Alternator whine
For alternator whine try relocating the RCA wires it helps a lot.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 10:25   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
For alternator whine try relocating the RCA wires it helps a lot.
Current setup is this.
RCAs from HU, behind glove compartment along left side of car to Amp fixed to rear seat. Amp remote wire goes with the RCA in the same route.

Amp power cable runs under carpet along the centre of the car.

All speaker wires run along the right hand side of the car.

Amp ground wire is fixed to a screw on the boot. 1.5-2 ft length of grounding wire.

Now what new routes can I consider for the RCAs ? Also as I said, alternator whine is faint now, and intermittent.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 11:26   #19
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Now what new routes can I consider for the RCAs ? Also as I said, alternator whine is faint now, and intermittent.
Running speaker and RCA next to each other is not bad. It is the power cables that need to be as far away from the RCAs. Also good RCAs are shielded from this noise. and while ou are it if you have 2 or more amps keep in mind not to have ground loops.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 11:31   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
while you are it if you have 2 or more amps keep in mind not to have ground loops.

Sorry for my ignorance,navinji

Please tell me whats ground loops ?
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 11:32   #21
BHPian
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 61
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The same guy whose set up created the hiss I bet! Sorry if I sound bugged but seriosuly setting up a stereo system is not rocket science, I get a bit peeved when "professional" installers mess it up.
Lol! Apology accepted. But yeh, I think the guy messed it up. He's supposed to be one of the "better" installers in Bangalore. Will give the wiring and the grounds one more check, maybe elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Venom,Plz correct me if i am wrong!You are running SIX speakers and sub woofer?
Check the power and ground wirring of the HU n AMP,check the gains on amp too,they might be set on a higher side.If possible plz don't ever visit the installer who installed the system,ever again!
8 including 2 tweeters. I have a feeling the gains are high. Gonna go check the amps right after sending this reply! If that doesn't work, then wiring and grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Ya If the gains are set to high it will happen. Also what Media are you playing MP3 or original Audio CD.
I'm playing mainly MP3. But the problem occurs in Audio CD format too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
"Hiss" or "white noise" is also the noise a snake may make. Missing any? Can you hear your cylinders firing though it or is it just a steady hiss noise regardless? If it is the first case, after checking your wiring, specially grounds, then there are cheap aftermarket ignition noise filters you can buy that may help a little. If not,.....I dunno!
It's just a steady hiss. There's absolutely no engine noise as far as I can tell (Maybe also because the hiss is so loud!!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Current setup is this.
RCAs from HU, behind glove compartment along left side of car to Amp fixed to rear seat. Amp remote wire goes with the RCA in the same route.

Amp power cable runs under carpet along the centre of the car.

All speaker wires run along the right hand side of the car.

Amp ground wire is fixed to a screw on the boot. 1.5-2 ft length of grounding wire.

Now what new routes can I consider for the RCAs ? Also as I said, alternator whine is faint now, and intermittent.
Yep! Exact same setup for my stuff.

@All : How much should a good wiring setup cost me. I've got whatever the guy put while setting my system up. Doubt it's very great quality. So if I must change my wiring, what should I go in for? Slight budget problems so I must start planning this much in advance
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 11:58   #22
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Please tell me whats ground loops ?
very simple...

say amp 1 is grounded at point A and amp 2 is grounded at point B and Point A and Point B are not the same there might be some minor potential difference between A and B and this will introduce a hum or hiss into the signal chain (music).

I am sure google can find better explanations. I'm not google expert but this is what I came up with

Noise Prevention
Crutchfield Tech Support: Noise Problem Troubleshooting: Popping noise
Car Audio Help Guide
Ground Q/A sticky

BTW I believe a Ground Loop Isolator is a band aid. if one uses some common sense it is quite easy to eliminate groud loops altogether.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 12:06   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

thanks Navinji

those articles were very informative,helped clearing some doubts
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 12:15   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Current setup is this.
RCAs from HU, behind glove compartment along left side of car to Amp fixed to rear seat. Amp remote wire goes with the RCA in the same route.

Amp power cable runs under carpet along the centre of the car.

All speaker wires run along the right hand side of the car.

Amp ground wire is fixed to a screw on the boot. 1.5-2 ft length of grounding wire.

Now what new routes can I consider for the RCAs ? Also as I said, alternator whine is faint now, and intermittent.
I know you might thing what differnce it will make. Just try this. Disconnect the remote wire and reroute it a little away from the RCA wires and tell us the result.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 12:17   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
very simple...

say amp 1 is grounded at point A and amp 2 is grounded at point B and Point A and Point B are not the same there might be some minor potential difference between A and B and this will introduce a hum or hiss into the signal chain (music).
I think this is the best possible layman explanation of ground loops. This is more prone when multiple amps are used. But it can me there when HU and AMP grounds are not properly done.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 13:39   #26
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I think this is the best possible layman...
I used to be a layman, atleast I'd like to think i was one. Today B&T, Sam and co have that title. :-)

"Just a gigolo, everywhere I go
people know the part, I'm playing
Paid for every dance, selling each romance
every night some heart, betraying"

- Bing Crosby

Last edited by navin : 17th January 2008 at 13:49.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 14:18   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I used to be a layman, atleast I'd like to think i was one. Today B&T, Sam and co have that title. :-)

"Just a gigolo, everywhere I go
people know the part, I'm playing
Paid for every dance, selling each romance
every night some heart, betraying"

- Bing Crosby
Now this is not layman terms, based on poetry.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 14:48   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I used to be a layman, atleast I'd like to think i was one. Today B&T, Sam and co have that title. :-)

"Just a gigolo, everywhere I go
people know the part, I'm playing
Paid for every dance, selling each romance
every night some heart, betraying"
- Bing Crosby
Ahem, when DerAlte bhai said the ICE section was "singing paens" for me, I visualized it slightly differently.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 14:50   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I know you might thing what differnce it will make. Just try this. Disconnect the remote wire and reroute it a little away from the RCA wires and tell us the result.
Thanks. Will try this when I rewire in a few days time. I also need to check whether the RCAs are near the power wire, behind the dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
But it can me there when HU and AMP grounds are not properly done.
Where is the HU grounded by default? Is there a grounding wire in the default wiring harness?

I was going through the first article @Navin posted. It seems the noise I have is due to the HU. Since with the HU on but RCA's disconnected at the HU end, there is no noise.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 18:09   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Where is the HU grounded by default? Is there a grounding wire in the default wiring harness?

I was going through the first article @Navin posted. It seems the noise I have is due to the HU. Since with the HU on but RCA's disconnected at the HU end, there is no noise.

In the wire harness.

If this happens then the HU is not grounded properly.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stebel Nautilus Horns - gargling noise? no noise? gd1418 Technical Stuff 31 23rd May 2011 21:59
Tyre Noise - Less noisy tires? normally_crazy Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 62 4th February 2011 21:42
Elantra rare noise (hissing noise) Please help!! manne Technical Stuff 9 28th June 2010 09:24
Strange humming noise from my Safari(EDIT: Solved, window was open hence the noise) himanshugoswami Technical Stuff 14 14th May 2008 15:00
Wind noise or Aerodynamic noise vivaid Technical Stuff 15 2nd July 2006 19:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks