Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th April 2008, 09:49   #61
BHPian

thre regular USB to dock cable of an ipod that comes in the pod OE package works in an 5050 if u wanna buy a spare cable to leave in the glove box of car it might cost you 125 rs lol
nripin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 11:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post
mate..i use a 5050 with my ipod..u dnt need any extra cable just attach your IPOD charging cable to the USB cable and u can control your ipod through the HU...but then it renders ur ipod useless...you can't use your ipod controls!!
for using your ipod controls u'll have to use the aux cable...
all the best...
Dude, which version of iPod do you have?
I have a 2nd generation iPod Mini 6 GB
I have heard issues that 5050 works with only 4th generation iPod onwards. Thats why I am asking this question repeatedly on the forum.

Also, does your in-box supplied cable with 5050 charge the iPod on the go?

Edit: How much is this aux cable cost? Do you have the model no?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 11:58   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Dude, which version of iPod do you have?
I have a 2nd generation iPod Mini 6 GB
I have heard issues that 5050 works with only 4th generation iPod onwards. Thats why I am asking this question repeatedly on the forum.

Also, does your in-box supplied cable with 5050 charge the iPod on the go?

Edit: How much is this aux cable cost? Do you have the model no?
Nishant...i have the 5th generation ipod...and yes when i attach the ipod to the HU using the USB cable and the Ipod cable...it charges the ipod..as soon as you connect it to HU...the Pioneer logo comes up and u can use the HU to play your songs.

Regarding the aux cable..i had a OFC Gold plated cable lying with me and i connected the same to the 5050...would suggest go for a decent OFC cable...else u can get the aux cable made in 30-40 bucks from any of the electronic repair shops...or if u have the soldering iron...u can make it urself.
nickoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 12:11   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post
Nishant...i have the 5th generation ipod...and yes when i attach the ipod to the HU using the USB cable and the Ipod cable...it charges the ipod..as soon as you connect it to HU...the Pioneer logo comes up and u can use the HU to play your songs.
Thanks man for the clarification. Basically from what I gather, 5050 comes with a USB cable. You can attach either a) thumb drive or b) iPod (using the OE standard iPod cable which comes with the iPod)

Now I just need to confirm whether this will work with my iPod Mini or not
Old 9th April 2008, 12:47   #65
BHPian

Quote:
IIRC, vebmetal was telling me that NO ADDITIONAL CABLE(S) need to be bought with 5050/6050 to plug in either USB or iPod.

@veb, can you please confirm?

Lastly, if you do need a cable to be bought, what is the price for it?
To clarify:
  • Pen Drive: No additional cables required.
  • USB Device / mp3 player: USB cable that comes with the player required. No additional purchase needed.
  • iPod: USB cable that comes with the player required. No additional purchase needed. (except that you can buy an extra cable so that you can just keep a dedicated one for your car and one for your PC and not have to keep shifting the cable).
  • Aux-In: You need to buy an Aux-In cable. Prices vary: If you buy a non-branded/local one from Nehru Place, it will run you about Rs. 40. If you go to one of the fancy stores in a Mall, perhaps they will charge you upwards of Rs. 500. I highly recommend the first option.
Quote:
Basically from what I gather, 5050 comes with a USB cable. You can attach either a) thumb drive or b) iPod (using the OE standard iPod cable which comes with the iPod)
Yes, exactly.

Quote:
Now I just need to confirm whether this will work with my iPod Mini or not
If it doesn't work it will give you one of two error messages: "ERROR-16" or "N/A USB." Anyway this is the list of compatible iPods that my 6050 manual says (software version in parentheses):
  1. iPod 5th Gen (1.2.1)
  2. iPod Nano 1st Gen (1.3.1)
  3. iPod Nano 2nd Gen (1.1.3)
  4. iPod Nano 3rd Gen (1.0.2)
  5. iPod Classic (1.0.2)
  6. iPod Touch (1.1.1)
So there you have it. It doesn't support the iPod Mini. (Also as a side note, it's doesn't work with the Creative Zen Xtra or Microsoft Zune players either).
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 12:58   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
  • Aux-In: You need to buy an Aux-In cable. Prices vary: If you buy a non-branded/local one from Nehru Place, it will run you about Rs. 40. If you go to one of the fancy stores in a Mall, perhaps they will charge you upwards of Rs. 500. I highly recommend the first option.
Thanks for the detailed clarification veb.
If I have to play USB or iPod only and you say for these 2 no additional cables are needed, then what is the Aux-In cable needed for?

EDIT: Did you mention the AUX-IN cable so that I can play my iPod Mini?
Old 9th April 2008, 13:30   #67
BHPian

Can someone explain the differences between 4050 and 5050 in layman's terms? I would like the HU to read from USB and 5th gen 30 GB iPod. Thanks in advance.
srikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 13:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

@veb - This is what the manual for 5050 has to say about iPod compatibility

iPod® compatibility: This unit can control and listen to songs on an iPod.
This unit can control the following iPod models.
— iPod nano
— iPod fifth generation or later
For maximum performance, we recommend that you use the latest version of the iPod software.
When using an iPod, iPod Dock Connector to USB Cable is required.
This unit can control previous generations iPod models with a Pioneer iPod adapter (e.g. CD-IB100N). In this case, most functions are essentially the same as an iPod connected to USB interface of this unit. However, functions related to Audiobooks and Podcasts cannot be used.
Now it gets confusing. There are 2 iPod interface cables mentioned in the user manual
1. CD-IU50 - Which to me looks like the normal iPod cable that comes with the iPod
2. CD-IB100 II - Which looks like a generic solution for all Pioneer HUs and all iPods. here's what it says: iPod Compatibility CD-IB100 II
Battery charging - Yes on all generations April 2003 – September 2007
List Browsing - Yes on all generations April 2003 – September 2007
Music Playback - Yes on all generations April 2003 – September 2007
IMO, the CD-IU50 is useless as it doesnt serve any specific purpose, other than being a backup cable for your car (so that you have a spare cable at home).

Whats the cost of CD-IB100II?

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 9th April 2008 at 14:08.
Old 9th April 2008, 14:17   #69
Senior - BHPian

Could anyone give me the cost of both the Hus 5050 and 4050 and if possible 6050 too. Also could anyone tell me which is a better place to get hu without b&w from both mumbai and bangalore
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 14:36   #70
BHPian

maddy: 4050 is for Rs. 6000 (grey) from a famous shop in Bangalore (recommended here by a mod and others). PM me for the shop name, address and phone number if interested.

I didn't find out about 5050 and 6050 from them.
srikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 14:47   #71
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: Did you mention the AUX-IN cable so that I can play my iPod Mini?
Yes, and other mp3 players. The USB connection in the HU AFAIK will only support those mp3 players that show up in my computer as a disk drive without need of any driver installation. Otherwise you have to use Aux-In.

Quote:
IMO, the CD-IU50 is useless as it doesnt serve any specific purpose, other than being a backup cable for your car (so that you have a spare cable at home).

Whats the cost of CD-IB100II?
100% right. The second adapter is costly. IIRC it's a couple of thousand bucks. Not VFM IMHO considering that you can buy a 8GB pen drive for much less.
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 14:51   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, and other mp3 players. The USB connection in the HU AFAIK will only support those mp3 players that show up in my computer as a disk drive without need of any driver installation. Otherwise you have to use Aux-In.
Got your point. But AFAIK, there is a function in ALL iPods that can "Enable Disk Use" which basically makes your iPod as an external HDD. I have enabled this function in my iTunes software. In this case, my iPod shows up in My Computer as "External Disk Drive" similar to when I attach a USB flash disk. (i.e. without additional driver installation)

Although I am not sure how this is relevant to the context of Pioneer. Any thoughts?
Old 9th April 2008, 15:37   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If it doesn't work it will give you one of two error messages: "ERROR-16" or "N/A USB." Anyway this is the list of compatible iPods that my 6050 manual says (software version in parentheses):
  1. iPod 5th Gen (1.2.1)
  2. iPod Nano 1st Gen (1.3.1)
  3. iPod Nano 2nd Gen (1.1.3)
  4. iPod Nano 3rd Gen (1.0.2)
  5. iPod Classic (1.0.2)
  6. iPod Touch (1.1.1)
I got the error N/a USB in my Pio 6050 HU after i put a Ipod nano ( 2n Gen)
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 16:10   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I got the error N/a USB in my Pio 6050 HU after i put a Ipod nano ( 2n Gen)
Maybe you need to update the software through iTunes. Try it and it should work IMO
Old 9th April 2008, 16:18   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
hi... can you please share the manual for 5050...
i have been looking for it all over.. but dint find it on any site...

thanks..
Here you go w.r.t the product manuals
RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting