Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 19th February 2008, 11:15   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Lol, you are one difficult man to satisfy.
ROC, you should try DIY.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 11:18   #47
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely... thats what I'm planning next . Don't see a point wasting two odd lacs on a pair of speakers when I can make better stuff. The nicer, more fun part is all the tinkering and tweaking that one can do.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 11:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Don't see a point wasting two odd lacs on a pair of speakers when I can make better stuff.
Make stuff? As in build your own drivers?? If so, do keep us posted, that would be very interesting to follow. And do let me know if you need any driver parts. I've always wanted to build a driver to my specs but have never gotten around to it.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 11:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Make stuff? As in build your own drivers?? If so, do keep us posted, that would be very interesting to follow. And do let me know if you need any driver parts. I've always wanted to build a driver to my specs but have never gotten around to it.

Hmm...like this one...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ce-my-car.html
low_bass_makker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 12:04   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Building drivers is next to impossible... atleast I don't have the knowledge or know how . I'm planning to build a floorstander for my home.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning to build a floorstander for my home.
Which drivers are you going to use ??

Active or Passive ?

Which components in Passive networks ?
Old 19th February 2008, 12:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

With all the DIY talk coming up this is going to turn into an orgy
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 12:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

We are going way way way offtopic here LBM. I suggest we create a new thread. Anyway the speaker I'm planning to build would be something similar to this. Not the exact same design, but something quite similar.

TJL3WSEAS W18E001 +
Old 19th February 2008, 13:41   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We are going way way way offtopic here LBM. I suggest we create a new thread.
TJL3WSEAS W18E001 +
we are seriously OT but really aren't we all audio nuts masquerading on a car forum?

ROC you should also consider Zaph (John K) and Tony Gee's designs along with a 2x 8" scanspeak/seas/usher sub mated to Jim Griffin's JX92/G2si or the ATR and obviously if you have the room a triamped OB (a la Jamo 909) using a sub (think Hawthorne Sterling 15") a good (high Qts) wide range (think Supravox 215 Sig, Veravox 7x, Vistaon B200) and a tweeter like the Revelator/OW4/Cresendo/G3. Using a triamped widerange allows for simple line level XOs. Buss, otherwise the other mods will kick me out.

before you do DIY read this diyAudio Forums - A reason NOT to DIY..

Last edited by navin : 19th February 2008 at 13:59.
Old 19th February 2008, 14:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

Navin while I'd love to try out open baffle designs, I don't think the poor acoustics in my room would afford such a design to perform well. Also please correct me if I'm wrong... I though open baffle designs require a huge amount clearance at the rear and sides to perform to the fullest.

My listening room is terrible from the design standpoint. Its narrow and long with parallel walls with large windows on one of those walls and a door on the other side. Couldn't get any worse I guess. The dimensions are roughly 28ftx16ftx12ft.

Thanks for all the input. Really appreciate it. I'll go through your suggestions before I decide. Please keep them coming .

Last edited by reignofchaos : 19th February 2008 at 14:33.
Old 19th February 2008, 14:33   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning to build a floorstander for my home.
A new development! Please do post your progress on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
.... a triamped OB (a la Jamo 909)....
Not sure if it would be easy to set up OBs in ROC's listening room , certainly would be an interesting DIY alternative to box speakers I guess...

@nishantgandhi:

Any update on your search for the "best component speaker"? The way this thread is progessing, you should "speak now or forever hold your peace"...LOL

Last edited by Flying Bong : 19th February 2008 at 14:42.
Flying Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 15:03   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
@nishantgandhi:

Any update on your search for the "best component speaker"? The way this thread is progessing, you should "speak now or forever hold your peace"...LOL
As I have learnt (may I say the hard way?) in the ICE section, that after a point, a newbie ends up as a silent spectator

I will be auditioning some more brands over the weekend. Till now, I have only heard Kickers and Illusion. Need to listen to JBL GTO 607 and Blaupunkt (Th or GTX series?) before I am able to make a comprison

On another note, is anybody aware of the price for Pioneer DEH P 6050UB and Pioneer DEH P 5050UB in Dubai? A friend of mine might be coming in March. So if there is substantial difference, I might think of going for one
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 16:47   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My listening room is terrible from the design standpoint. Its narrow and long with parallel walls with large windows on one of those walls and a door on the other side. Couldn't get any worse I guess. The dimensions are roughly 28ftx16ftx12ft.
Nishant is right, we should move this to PM. ROC, feel free to PM me about OBs or XOs.

28x16 it a good size for OB. (I assume 12ft is the ceiling). PM me a sketch.
Old 19th February 2008, 17:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Navinji. Could you suggest me some models in Balupunkt 6 inch comps to audition? I had inadvertently left Blau out of my list. I remember having read one of yours/Sam's post mentioning that its also a good speakers and very much VFM
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 19:29   #60
Senior - BHPian

Nishant while comparing at least try to play the same track from same cd to keep the software part the same so that the true comparison is done.