Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 26th February 2008, 09:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

That is sure a long story of ICE I enjoyed going through it.

And at this rate, I don't think the story has ended yet. heh, heh.

That is one sweet HU! Will definitely look you(r HU) up when I'm in Bangy next

Enjoyyyy!
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 11:14   #17
BHPian

Hi,

That was a great experience to read. By the way

#28, "Madhu Siri" 2 nd floor, 2nd Main ITI layout..." does this ring any bell to you.

You have Team-BHP member next door
bkishore_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 11:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree
These components produce excellent natural sound.

There has been a lot of discussion on bright and laid back nature of various speakers. I don’t feel this component speaker is bright. I feel that they produce extremely natural sound. In my opinion, if the set up has an ability to control mid range frequencies, one can extract the best out of these speakers.

what I have done is, thru my PEQ, I am reducing the mid range frequencies.

the sound is very natural but like its component brother, they also need some control over mid range to get best out of them.
The reason why Polk has been descirbed as bright or unnatural by some others is exactly because of this little exaggeration in the mid-high band. Which you have correctly pointed out. Their contention has also been that a more natural sounding speaker will not need any equalization to sound good.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 11:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Cool

Anant,

Any experience with external USB HDDs and the CD7100's USB features? I ask because USB makes it a bit more interesting than the P880 or 9887.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 22:06   #20
BHPian

What a LENGTHY set up
just kidding
Forget the amount, that you had spent.. Satisfaction is the key... Anything for that.
Awesome Setup.. Congrats
maverick236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 22:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Hi,

That was a great experience to read. By the way

#28, "Madhu Siri" ..." does this ring any bell to you.

You have Team-BHP member next door
Kishore, it's great to find you after a long time. Thanks for sharing your comments.

I went thru the thread that you have put for your introduction and I must say this - we stayed in the same building for more than 15 months and never went past passing social smiles.

if you are free over this weekend, please drop by. You can audition the system. Personal Message me.
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 23:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Congrats on the setup...
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
How did you choose the 24 db/octave slopes. Any particular reason behind it ?
Good question. I have only layman understanding about crossover slopes but I will try to share what I felt.

An easy anwer would be - I tried with various combinations from 6 db/octave to 24 d/octave. I left the crossover slope at what it is today because I liked the sound at that slope.

But...
I feel my sub is producing more accurate bass at that slope. For the full range speakers I have kept it at 18 db/octave to allow some low frequencies to trickle in. The sub and 6x9 felt like one unit at it. I tried with 24 db/octave for my 6x9 and I felt need of two subs. When I reduced to 12 db/octave I felt overlap between sub and 6x9 was little more and I did not like it. At 18 db/octave it sounded just perfect. As far as front components are concerned, I think they didn't had strict requirement to gel well with the sub. They sound excellent at 24 db/octave.

I think depending on frequency responses of two drivers, the slope requirements between them will differ. Moreover I also think that crossover point is important factor affecting crossover slope selection.

Last edited by akbaree : 26th February 2008 at 23:48.
Old 27th February 2008, 00:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Anant,

Any experience with external USB HDDs and the CD7100's USB features? I ask because USB makes it a bit more interesting than the P880 or 9887.
The access is fast. Folder/File search is quite good. Track can be changed by selecting left/right buttons. Folder can be changed by selecting up/down buttons. The HU displays all information stored in ID3v1/ID3v2 tags. I really like the rotary search function. At a click of a button the screen displays three rows. One in the forefront (center row) and two in the background. The center row shows the present song (along with track # and folder #). Volume knob can be rotated/used for quick selection. A small scrollbar on the right is very helpful to know where the present selection is in the whole list.

However during search (using rotary function or otherwise) the HU only display the physical file names (e.g. abcdef~1.mp3) . I am not sure if other HUs have the ability to use tags to search. I would have liked if the HU can display title from the ID3v1/ID3v2 tags for searching.

I am not sure if you have any specific questions.
Old 27th February 2008, 01:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
The reason why Polk has been descirbed as bright or unnatural by some others is exactly because of this little exaggeration in the mid-high band. Which you have correctly pointed out.
With you clarifying what others meant when they described Polk Momo as bright, I feel good. Good about my ear. I can trust my ear more now.

I have agreed in my post that I feel some equalization over mid range frequencies is required to derive best out of these speakers/components. But they sound very good even without equalization.

Statement 1: Polk is bright
Statement 2: Polk has little exaggeration in the mid-high band

I feel, Statement 1, will make very different perception about the product then Statement 2. Moreover they are remarkable at producing bass, mid bass and highs. The strength and stability.

Quote:
Their contention has also been that a more natural sounding speaker will not need any equalization
Why do we have equalization?
Isn't it natural for human ear to be more sensitive to frequencies at which Polk Momo's appear a little aggresive?

I am no Polk salesman. I have tried sharing strengths of the product that I chose to buy.

Last edited by akbaree : 27th February 2008 at 01:10.
Old 27th February 2008, 09:58   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The reason why Polk has been descirbed as bright or unnatural by some others is exactly because of this little exaggeration in the mid-high band. Which you have correctly pointed out. Their contention has also been that a more natural sounding speaker will not need any equalization to sound good.
For anyone familiar with "Mellisa" this is quite easy to fix. Obviously "The Man in the Lab Coat" prefers his sound this way.

Disclaimer: I once (somewhere in '87) tested a pair of Polk SDA SRS for dynamic range and found it wanting. Replacing the woofers with Peerless TP165R (the Polk tweeters were Peerless KO10DT) helped. Please keep in mind that my reference bass bin then was a Jpair of BL B460. Polk at that time use to source their drivers from Peerless so I am not sure why they did not use the 165R woofer instead of the 165F that they used. Peerless's retail price was the almost the same.

Last edited by navin : 27th February 2008 at 10:06.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 09:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

As far as I can say from some tuning sessions that this head unit is a really neat sounding one, with a lot of features to play with which can remarkably improve the sound on any good Audio setup.
The Polk speakers sound a lot better than I have ever heard on this player, though I myself have istalled many but I am not a big fan of Polk speakers, but at the same time I do beleive they are good but there is better available in their price range, but like that there is always something better and the upgrades go on and on and on..............
I feel anant should enjoy the speakers to the max for some time before he decides any further upgrades, the next step would be like JL Audio or Image Dynamics on those amps.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 11:40   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
..but I am not a big fan of Polk speakers, but at the same time I do beleive they are good but there is better available in their price range...
I feel anant should enjoy the speakers to the max for some time before he decides any further upgrades..
Raven,
what dont you like about Polk? I have noticed that this boost in the upper mids (around 3K) started creeeping in just after their SDA models died out (1990). My guess is that they did it so that they could fudge their sensitivity figures (guys, many manufacturers do things like this so it is not something personal against Polk). Another theory is that Polk's polyamide dome exibhits some resonances that are not filtered out. Till 1990 their top components were 3 way and one did not notice this.

I do agree that Anant should enjoy his speakers. The anamolies mentioned above are pretty easy to fix.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 15:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Raven,
what dont you like about Polk? I have noticed that this boost in the upper mids (around 3K) started creeeping in just after their SDA models died out (1990). My guess is that they did it so that they could fudge their sensitivity figures

I do agree that Anant should enjoy his speakers. The anamolies mentioned above are pretty easy to fix.
What you said is spot on, From whatever little I have seen Polk speakers can sound really bad with some little mistakes in amp tuning and source unit settings.
One of the reasons why many people feel that Polk speakers are horribly bright as they probably have not seen them setup really well.

I am not a big fan of those speakers, though I do like loudness and strength in speakers but at the same time it needs to be versatile in ways it can be tuned and still sound nice, that adds a lot more life into any speaker sound.

OT : What is your opinion on the Rockford Punch component speakers post 05' ? I am asking you this as you have seen and heard a lot more speakers than I have.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 21:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:

I have noticed that this boost in the upper mids (around 3K) started creeeping in just after their SDA models died out (1990). My guess is that they did it so that they could fudge their sensitivity figures (guys, many manufacturers do things like this so it is not something personal against Polk). Another theory is that Polk's polyamide dome exibhits some resonances that are not filtered out.

The anamolies mentioned above are pretty easy to fix.
Quote:
For anyone familiar with "Mellisa" this is quite easy to fix. Obviously "The Man in the Lab Coat" prefers his sound this way.
Navin, as always, your posts make me feel that I am living in some 17th century and you are from the 21st century. I tried looking up "Mellisa" on google, and could not find anything.

Would you mind telling me in more simpler way. I would like to try and fix these anomalies and would be in a position to better appreciate this.

Is this something that I can do?
Is equalizing a good solution?
Old 29th February 2008, 10:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Arey arey @akbaree-bhai, don't take that to heart.

Google "MLSSA" (you are not reading wide enough on TBHP - you missed the Melissa humour on another thread, about Melissa and @bass&trouble).
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote