Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 19th March 2008, 16:41   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
Mr. 'B'. Try playing with phase & crossover slopes between subwoofer and front stage before adding any delay to the sub.
Why would anyone add delay to the sub? This is a fronts + sub install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
The 3" baffle is cut very amaturely after all the hard work on the box.
Bhagwanji, point to be noted and conveyed to Mr. Bhagwan Desai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
The position you have selected for the tweeter is not the best (As it suffers from immediate reflections off the dash and windscreen. I know one have to compromise in case of new car but try running your tweeters offaxis, say in A-Pillar. MD100's sounds better off axis.
JB Bhai, his biwi will not take kindly to any of the cutting shutting. In his own car, if someone convinces him that the subwoofer will sound best playing into the cabin from a hole in the roof, he will gladly accomodate it. He has clearly told me that he will not tolerate the tweeter in any other location than the current for the sake of his own well-being. So I have to negotiate the uphill taks of listening and placement in trial and error mode to determine what will be the most optimum. If you have any suggestions in this regard, please be kind enough to share with us.

And by the way, this is not a DIY install (in the true sense of the word) for all that have so commented. Sure, Bhagwan has put a huge amount of effort into calculating enclosure volume, ensuring that it is constructed well (with the exception of cut quality), is airtight, inert, adequate damping, proper installation of all equipment etc. but he has supervised and not folded up his sleeves to man the tools.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 16:46   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
BTW a router on MDF creates a lot of fine dust, a jigsaw creates less dust. Maybe that is why the carpenter used the jigsaw, or maybe he did not have a router around.
That should not be a problem especially while making state of the art box.

I believe carpenter does not have access to router or patience to use it (involved in multiple passes to cut 3" cutout) .

Example of 1.5" baffle done with router :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/128076.jpg
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 16:47   #303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
he will not tolerate the tweeter in any other location than the current for the sake of his own well-being.
hey B&T there are XO based solutions around this. You got LspCad or something similar? We can tailor the tweeter's response.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 16:49   #304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I believe carpenter does not have access to router or patience to use it (involved in multiple passes to cut 3" cutout) .
It sitll does not affect the acoustics in this case.

Autophile, I dont get your point.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 16:50   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
You guys are right but have you also seen where the drivers are pointing, facing ?
LBM, midbasses face each other in more than 95% of the cars. According to you all that is wrong and everyone should angle them 30-45 degrees in order to make them sound good.

FYI big tweeters have good off axis response hence they require less angling/toe in.
Old 19th March 2008, 16:54   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All i can say.

All this long you were cutting holes in the car, making steel/wood angle mounts, countless man hours, best possible processing partnered with world class multiple amps connected by exotic cables. But sorry to say it still does not sound even shade closer to the one shown in the picture.
Are we talking about my car ? Sorry to say it man I did not like the sound. About mine I am quite satisfied with it. And lots of good trained ears have told me that it sound nice. Thanks and welcome.

Quote:

No it cannot be taken care just by changing the phase, speaking out of my hands on experience with Dynaudio car audio.

Regarding placements what alternate locations / mounting option can you think of .

I have done the same. I have tried two to three times with 242 which is quite similar to 240. It works, and that to I have done it out of my hands on experience with Dynaudio car audio

I think Godji has done the best possible way, and I agree with him.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 16:56   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Why would anyone add delay to the sub? This is a fronts + sub install.
I am wondering that you are asking this question. Adding delay to the subwoofer helps in achieving upfront bass and better integration with the front stage which eventually makes the sub disappear.

Before doing this I told 'B' to play around with phase and slopes as they also take care of the alignment to a certain extent. If that does not helps then time delay should be added.

In active setup sub & mids are delayed in respect to tweeters which are taken as reference.
Old 19th March 2008, 16:57   #308
BHPian

md100 amd md102 are indeed 'large' tweeter.md102 has 1.1 inch diameter surface area that is approximately 50% more than a conventional car audio tweeters.their off-axis response is fantastic.
zucchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 16:57   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LBM, midbasses face each other in more than 95% of the cars. According to you all that is wrong and everyone should angle them 30-45 degrees in order to make them sound good.

FYI big tweeters have good off axis response hence they require less angling/toe in.
I think we are talking about Tweeters and not Midbass.

In how many cars which have a kickpanel install and the tweeter is facing each other ?

I know that but off axis is not everything.
Old 19th March 2008, 17:02   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am wondering that you are asking this question. Adding delay to the subwoofer helps in achieving upfront bass and better integration with the front stage which eventually makes the sub disappear.
I think it is the other way round. One has to put delay to the driver which is closer to the user not to that which is most far away.

I would put delay in the front stage that to the sub. The speaker on the right will get the max delay as it is closest to the driver.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 19th March 2008 at 17:05.
Old 19th March 2008, 17:04   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
md100 amd md102 are indeed 'large' tweeter.md102 has 1.1 inch diameter surface area that is approximately 50% more than a conventional car audio tweeters.their off-axis response is fantastic.
Have you tried it playing on-axis. I think NO.

Iridium also has a 1.1 inch tweeter, The Carbon also has a 1 inch one. And I prefer both the tweeters to be on-axis as they perform better that way.
Old 19th March 2008, 17:06   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
It sitll does not affect the acoustics in this case.

Autophile, I dont get your point.
I only looked at it from finishing point of view. I also know that it does not matter that much eventually. We are looking at it from two different point of views.

Not in context of Mr. "B"'s enclosure :

In my personal opinion when it comes to aesthetics, product should be made with good attention to detail and skill which will make it look good and lesser works is required in hiding the abnormalities with something (subwoofer / carper / cloth / paint etc. etc.).
Old 19th March 2008, 17:07   #313
BHPian

lbm,almost all the cars have tweeter facing each other in kick panels for a larger soundstage.i was running my md102 located behind side rear view mirror facing each other and that was the time when the sound stage was at its best but unfortunately there was a lot of reflected sound from the windshield.
Old 19th March 2008, 17:08   #314
BHPian

dear lbm i am running them ON-AXIS.
Old 19th March 2008, 17:11   #315
BHPian

Quote:
I think we are talking about Tweeters and not Midbass.
LBM both are speakers - transduces, they make sound hence they are no different.

Quote:
In how many cars which have a kickpanel install and the tweeter is facing each other ?
There are many I think you have capabilities to google them atleast. More over the tweeters cannot really face each other as there is part of dashboard and transmission tunnel as a obstruction in between them in every car. We are not talking here / taking examples of "Flintstone Cars".

Quote:
I know that but off axis is not everything.
Then what else is, Can you please elaborate, Sir.

Last edited by Autophile : 19th March 2008 at 17:14.