Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2008, 20:09   #1
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 788
Thanked: 320 Times
Default Advice on adding a second sub

I have a JBL GT5-12 (275W RMS) in a sealed enclosure, driven by a JBL GTO3501 monoblock (225W RMS @ 4 ohms and 360W RMS @2 ohms). I am contemplating an upgrade. The options I have are

1) Change to JBL GTO1264 DVC sub (300W RMS). I will wire it in parallel for a 2ohm load so that the amp is able to put out its full 360W.

2) Add one more GT5-12 in another box in parallel for a 2 ohm load.

I tried the second option with an old GT4 sub and I was pleased with the results. The questions I have are

a) Which is a better option? (No issues with losing space in the boot)

b) In option 1, will the 360W output be bad for the sub which is rated at 300W, also will it sound much better tah my current setup

c) In option 2, will the 360W output be equally divided between the two subs. ie will 180W per sub be enough to drive it well?

d) the option 2 drives more air, so I'm inclined towards that. What do you say?
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 20:26   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Since you already have one GT5 sub, I would suggest you keep it and add another one rather than trying to sell one off and get another. (Not that selling a JBL sub is going to be difficult, but still )

There is no harm in using the DVC sub with the amp either. The little extra power wont kill the sub, and having met you I think you would be very unlike LBM in the loudness department . But I'd still put my money on two subs.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 12th March 2008 at 20:27.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 22:21   #3
BHPian
 
vebmetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 789
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

If you do decide to sell yours, let me know I may be interested.
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 23:13   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,406
Thanked: 1,538 Times
Default

me too interested if u wanna sell it
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 08:01   #5
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 788
Thanked: 320 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Since you already have one GT5 sub, I would suggest you keep it and add another one rather than trying to sell one off and get another. (Not that selling a JBL sub is going to be difficult, but still )

There is no harm in using the DVC sub with the amp either. The little extra power wont kill the sub, and having met you I think you would be very unlike LBM in the loudness department . But I'd still put my money on two subs.
Thanks Ajay. I think I'll keep the existing sub. Its barely a month and a half old.

You got me right. In the loudness dept, I am as you guessed. I'm looking for a good punch at low volumes. I guess the only option is to move more air which means adding another sub is a better option. Also, is my assumption right that each sub will get only 180W RMS when it is rated at 300W RMS? In that case, will it be optimal? Or will a single DVC sub getting its full 300W RMS be a better option?
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 11:05   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Also, is my assumption right that each sub will get only 180W RMS when it is rated at 300W RMS? In that case, will it be optimal? Or will a single DVC sub getting its full 300W RMS be a better option?
Your assumption is right. Both subs will get equal power, i.e. half the bridged output of the amplifier at 2 ohms.

Which config would be better is difficult to answer. If you like the quality of bass that you are currently getting and would like to increase the output by a few notches, then adding another sub is the way to go. If you think the current sub lacks something in sound quality that the 1264 can provide (something you can judge by listening only), go for the 1264.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 11:25   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

you can sell it also if you get a good price. There is no loss in trying.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 11:28   #8
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 788
Thanked: 320 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Your assumption is right. Both subs will get equal power, i.e. half the bridged output of the amplifier at 2 ohms.

Which config would be better is difficult to answer. If you like the quality of bass that you are currently getting and would like to increase the output by a few notches, then adding another sub is the way to go. If you think the current sub lacks something in sound quality that the 1264 can provide (something you can judge by listening only), go for the 1264.
The quality of bass is perfect but I want to increase the output. I am also inclined towards adding one more sub.

If I go for the DVC, it will be a 2 ohm load and the amp will deliver 360W, whereas in the current setup it is a 4 ohm load, so it delivers only 225W. Will that be a substantial difference in output? I would assume not much, because volume of air moved will still be that if one 12" sub.

So, I guess adding one more sub, inspite of each being fed with only 180W, should be a better option.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 11:31   #9
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 788
Thanked: 320 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
you can sell it also if you get a good price. There is no loss in trying.
But LBM, the question is, if I replace the GT5 with GTO1264, will there be a noticeable difference in the sound output when compared to adding one more sub.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 11:47   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
But LBM, the question is, if I replace the GT5 with GTO1264, will there be a noticeable difference in the sound output when compared to adding one more sub.
NO. For that you need to add one more sub as you have a sedan.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 13:06   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

What about selling the existing one off, and getting a good 15" sub, and a good mono amp?
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 15:36   #12
BHPian
 
vebmetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 789
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

I think you should sell..... (to me)
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 15:56   #13
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 788
Thanked: 320 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
What about selling the existing one off, and getting a good 15" sub, and a good mono amp?
I'm already running a monoblock, 15" hmmm, lets see
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 21:44   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I'm already running a monoblock, 15" hmmm, lets see
Still not enough bass?? I think u need to pay Dr LBM a visit!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 10:03   #15
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,501
Thanked: 3,879 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I
2) Add one more GT5-12 in another box in parallel for a 2 ohm load.
d) the option 2 drives more air, so I'm inclined towards that. What do you say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
But I'd still put my money on two subs.
keep in mind that in all probablity your box size will double.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding second battery to Safari Rohit26 Technical Stuff 15 30th May 2011 11:25
Adding sub+amp to this configuration -> feasable? DCEite In-Car Entertainment 10 28th October 2010 01:12
Adding A Sub woofer on the Pioneer DEH-P5950 without amp? vikram31 In-Car Entertainment 17 9th September 2010 18:31
ground zero Sub vs image dynamics Sub rohanGT In-Car Entertainment 105 29th March 2009 05:01
Does adding one more sub make a difference? raajsree In-Car Entertainment 24 3rd July 2008 11:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks