Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 20th July 2008, 02:34   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Any feedback / user review for any of the Kenwood 2008 HUs?

100% VFM,A must for a budget SQL setup better than pio's (Sound)

Using a 5039 and feels a bit complicated initially after pio's,Has all the features compared to its price HU'S in the market.

Aux works great i connect it to my phone everyday

6539-impressive for sound and looks and well price specially the Illuminating light effect (for BLING lovers)

noidaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 02:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
100% VFM,A must for a budget SQL setup better than pio's (Sound)
Bro a lot depends on users tastes. Saying it bluntly that it is better than pioneer is a very wrong thing. Personally I never liked the sound of Kenwood products as a whole but that does not mean Pioneer is end of the world.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 10:29   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Bro a lot depends on users tastes. Saying it bluntly that it is better than pioneer is a very wrong thing. Personally I never liked the sound of Kenwood products as a whole but that does not mean Pioneer is end of the world.
Sir it was just a user review,its just "my" opinion for "budget" sql setup as i have used both for now.Finding one product better than the other whats wrong with this? May be even you should try the x9006,what if things might change?

Agreed,pio's are very good when you like a lot of bass.But some how the vocal's,mid bass seemed better,and the tweeters sounded very eased out in my case atleast
Old 20th July 2008, 15:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Agreed,pio's are very good when you like a lot of bass.But some how the vocal's,mid bass seemed better,and the tweeters sounded very eased out in my case atleast
Bro so much of a difference I would sure wanna give it a try and then I would comment on the same BUT I fear such a large difference would not be there, Even if it is there a little change in tuning will make them sound the same.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 20:32   #35
BHPian

Hi Noidaboy - could you give us more details of the 5039? I dont know of many 2008 kenwood HU's in the market.

Specific queries would be:
How does it compares to alpines / pio's at that price range?
How is the build quality - any mechanical noises that you notice, time taken to read CD's, overall look and feel.
Is it good for all types of music, or does it work well for a particular genre of music?
Do you use the HU to power your speakers, or are both front and rear driven by the amp?
Anything else that you may want to add..

I hope this is not too detailed a query, im sure that not just me but many readers of this thread would be interested.

Cheers!
silver baleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 22:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

How does it compares to alpines / pio's at that price range?
A total VFM. Reads, CD, AUX, USB, Ipods.

How is the build quality - any mechanical noises that you notice, time taken to read CD's, overall look and feel.
No Mechanical noise as of now. Been using it for 1 month. Build quality is good enough for a 5K HU. Overall look and Fell is good. Time taken is 2secs more than the pioneer for the first time when u insert a CD / USB

Is it good for all types of music, or does it work well for a particular genre of music?
Its for all kind of music and IMHO every HU is for all kind of music.

Do you use the HU to power your speakers, or are both front and rear driven by the amp?
My speakers are powered by AMP but earlier 4" were powered directly by HU.

Anything else that you may want to add..
MENU system is not very USER friendly. But it has alot of settings.

Answers are in BOLD
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 22:26   #37
BHPian

abhibh, Has mentioned everything.

Even ejection and loading the CD is very smooth.There are small issues with the remote,The HU cannot be turned off with the remote,and im unable to fast forward the song with the remote. (same remote with all models)

Rest every other feature is there that is possible in a 5k Hu,infact a few more that other HU in the price.
Old 20th July 2008, 22:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i m unable to fast forward the song with the remote. (same remote with all models)
I think you are using Audio CD's ? With MP3 you can fast forward but with Audio CD you cannot fast forward. Though i will check it again.
Old 21st July 2008, 04:06   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Sir it was just a user review,its just "my" opinion for "budget" sql setup as i have used both for now.Finding one product better than the other whats wrong with this? May be even you should try the x9006,what if things might change?

I agree.found the kenwood to be a lot cleaner in reproducing sound compared to the pioneers.
In the last 6 months i have heard pioneer,alpine and kenwood hu's and IN MY OPINION kenwoods sound much better.

@LBM:we are comparing the pioneer and the kenwood with the seame setup where nothing except the head unit is changed.,keeping both the headunits at flat settings i.e. bass,mid,treble,sub,loud off ,the kenwoods offered a better detailing and imaging of sound in sanyams car.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 11:44   #40
BHPian

Thanks Abhibh & Noidaboy for the detailed replies.

Hellspawn, your inputs are very helpful, coz it hasnt been possible for me to do an a-b comparison of different HU's. But you have confirmed my initial impressions.

Another query for all; in the kenwoods, how would you rate the following 2 HU's in terms of SQ?
  • the 8259 from '06 series - a high end model, with a motorised faceplace & Burr-brown DAC's
  • 5039U from '08 series- a basic model, also with a 24bit DAC
Both the units fit in my budget. Different dealers, so wont be able to do an AB comparison.

I listen to audio Cd's and MP3 CD's, so additional features like USB & AUX inputs dont really make much of a difference. (Would really like a tape deck-Cd/MP3 combo, but havent seen a unit at a suitable price.. any suggestions? :-)
Will be using this with a 4 channel amp and front/rear speakers - I dont need a sub.
I mostly drive alone . Car is a Baleno, which means I focus on the road more than on cabin aesthetics ..so coloured lights and swimming dolphins arent important.
The primary determinant is good SQ, and hassle free operation (Currently use a sony HU, so you know where I am coming from)

Suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers!
silver baleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 12:18   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver baleno View Post
Thanks Abhibh & Noidaboy for the detailed replies.

Hellspawn, your inputs are very helpful, coz it hasnt been possible for me to do an a-b comparison of different HU's. But you have confirmed my initial impressions.

Another query for all; in the kenwoods, how would you rate the following 2 HU's in terms of SQ?
  • the 8259 from '06 series - a high end model, with a motorised faceplace & Burr-brown DAC's
  • 5039U from '08 series- a basic model, also with a 24bit DAC
Both the units fit in my budget. Different dealers, so wont be able to do an AB comparison.

I listen to audio Cd's and MP3 CD's, so additional features like USB & AUX inputs dont really make much of a difference. (Would really like a tape deck-Cd/MP3 combo, but havent seen a unit at a suitable price.. any suggestions? :-)
Will be using this with a 4 channel amp and front/rear speakers - I dont need a sub.
I mostly drive alone . Car is a Baleno, which means I focus on the road more than on cabin aesthetics ..so coloured lights and swimming dolphins arent important.
The primary determinant is good SQ, and hassle free operation (Currently use a sony HU, so you know where I am coming from)

Suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers!
I was using the 8529 for a month and then changed to the 5039/6539.
The 8529 is a better headunit anyday if you were to look at SQ.Both have d/a chips but the 8529 has a higher grade or a better chip than the 5039.
I would say,go for the 8529.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 18:00   #42
BHPian

If your investing in good compo's and are into audio cd's,then the 8259 might have a little edge over at higher volumes.

But in sq everything counts the wiring,amp,speakers,hu!So plan accordingly
Old 18th October 2008, 00:07   #43
BHPian

Any inputs for the new kenwood series. If any TeamBhpian is already using any of the new 2008 lineup HU then kindly share your experience as a feed back. Need to know more about these new series. How they perform in comparison to Alpine, Blau, Pion and clarion?

Last edited by tush : 18th October 2008 at 00:10.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 02:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Any inputs for the new kenwood series. If any TeamBhpian is already using any of the new 2008 lineup HU then kindly share your experience as a feed back. Need to know more about these new series. How they perform in comparison to Alpine, Blau, Pion and clarion?
I have been using kenwood 5039U for months now. I must add its a pretty good HU considering it now costs less than 5K. Supports AUX, iPOD, CD, USB, HDD (tired 2 and both worked). SQ is pretty good.

I recently tried 7950 as i was looking for HU upgrade. It was as good as 5039 but detailing level was better in kenwood. Though i am now drooling over 8850 / 8650 as i need a HU with TA, so i might loose on detailing part but i will sure love TA .

The Cons of HU (5039U):
- Confusing menu system. Specially if you are a JVC / Pio user you will find it hell confusing.
- ID3 Tag reading problems with some of the mp3's (there might be problem with my mp3's)
- New 2008 series cannot play WAV files (i would have loved that so i can carry music cds directly into hdds)
Old 20th October 2008, 12:24   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
I have been using kenwood 5039U for months now. I must add its a pretty good HU considering it now costs less than 5K. Supports AUX, iPOD, CD, USB, HDD (tired 2 and both worked). SQ is pretty good.
How does the 5039U compare with the 6539U, other than the fact that the former costs 5K and the latter, 10K? Is the additional 5K in price, worth the money?
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote