Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 8th April 2008, 13:51   #1

Default Hands-free ICE query

Hi,
I booked a Swift Vxi and am planning to buy a ICE system that has the hands-free feature - which allows me to connect a mobile to the system. (So in case of an incoming call, the music stops automatically, and i hear the caller through the speakers. I can answer with the help of a mic installed near the steering) I believe this feature is activated through bluetooth in the HU.

Now I tried searching the forums - but am thoroughly confused - since there is a lot of information here. So please bear with a new thread.

My query is: Which is the cheapest and the best HU supporting the hands-free feature?
A dealer told me that Sony xplod has the cheapest HU with this feature - costing around 8.5k. I am not sure if he quoted the price right or if there are better and cheaper options out there. Also, I have no idea if the Sony one is good. The dealer also informed me that Blaupunkt's Melbourne HU costs 16k - if that is the case, then it is beyond my budget.

Another query: Is the hands-free feature only supported through bluetooth in all HUs, or if there a provision of connecting the mobile to the HU through a data cable too? Bluetooth increases the risk of mobile viruses, and may not be a safe option always.

Please help.
shubhox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 14:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Almost all makes have models with BT. For less than 10K, you can get Pio, JVC and Kenwood HUs, and also the Blaupunkt Hamburg MP57.

Sony HUs are OK, but generally don't compare well with these.

Call control facilities are available only if one uses the BT feature.

Your mobile will get infected ONLY if you accept incoming messages via BT.
Don't, unless you know the source.

An alternative is to get the Nokia external BT adapter.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 14:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of the time when I was a young boy, I wished so many things to happen to me hands free.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 09:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Almost all makes have models with BT. For less than 10K, you can get Pio, JVC and Kenwood HUs, and also the Blaupunkt Hamburg MP57.

Sony HUs are OK, but generally don't compare well with these.

Call control facilities are available only if one uses the BT feature.
Thanks. So do you suggest that I should rather go for Blaupunkt Hamburg than the Sony xplod?

I was wondering if the mic comes with the contents of the box, or will i have to buy it separately. I have never really seen such a system - but heard a lot about it.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th April 2008 at 17:46. Reason: fixed end quote
Old 9th April 2008, 11:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhox View Post
Thanks. So do you suggest that I should rather go for Blaupunkt Hamburg than the Sony xplod?

I was wondering if the mic comes with the contents of the box, or will i have to buy it separately. I have never really seen such a system - but heard a lot about it.
Blau over Sony? Any day!

I think a mic should be there in the box. You could check with Blau directly (the India website has a list of dealers in India) whether there is mic included or needs to be purchased separately. Otherwise, in the TBHP Marketplace, there is a Hamburg on sale in Delhi, I think - you could check with the seller.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 12:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I have not heard too many Hus but a friend of mine has a MP57 in his i10, it is very nice. If you can afford it dont look much further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Reminds me of the time when I was a young boy, I wished so many things to happen to me hands free.
you mean last night? Now, Now stop dreaming. I am NOT going to spank you anymore - you like it too much. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhox View Post
I was wondering if the mic comes with the contents of the box
I think the mic is a seperate accessory. I did not see it in my friend's car (then I was not really looking for a mic).

Last edited by navin : 9th April 2008 at 12:36.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 15:59   #7

I just spoke with a Blaupunkt dealer - for the hands-free facility, he told me that he has the Hamburg HU, which costs Rs. 15950 , but it comes up a mic - so no need to buy a separate piece.

Another HU that has this integrated facility is Bahamas - costing around 11k . However, the dealer informed me that Bahamas has been discontinued.

Due to the steep price, I am looking at other options - I checked Kenwood's site and the KDC-BT7539U model includes the integrated hands-free feature. Does anyone have any feedback for this Kenwood HU? How much does it cost? How is it compared to Hamburg etc.?
Old 9th April 2008, 17:41   #8
BHPian

^ It's not available in India yet. But a few of us here have our eye on the new HUs. Check this thread for updates.

Last edited by vebmetal : 9th April 2008 at 17:43.
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 17:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Cool

Theres an LG unit with OEL display, Bluetooth etc that is with B&W. I saw it at DRIVEN, you might wanna check that out. I think he was giving it at a good discount.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 18:41   #10
BHPian

I don't know if I could trust LG, considering that they have since removed HUs from their website!! But on the other hand, sounds interesting and I suppose it is with B&W.
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 19:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 19:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
What? I used to hate to tie my shoelaces.
Old 10th April 2008, 08:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What? I used to hate to tie my shoelaces.
Complete the statement Ajay: I used to hate to tie my shoelaces while my hands were busy doing something else.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 10:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
^ It's not available in India yet. But a few of us here have our eye on the new HUs. Check this thread for updates.
Yeah you are right. I spoke with the Kenwood distributor in Gurgaon, and he is not even sure when the HU with the hands-free facility will be available in India.

In that case, I may have to settle for the Sony one.
Does anyone have any feedback for the MEX-BT2500 HU of Sony - this one has Bluetooth and looks like it will support the hands-free facility.
Can anyone suggest any other better Sony HU with the hands-free facility?
Old 10th April 2008, 11:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Complete the statement Ajay: I used to hate to tie my shoelaces while my hands were busy doing something else.
I used to hate to tie my shoelaces while my hands were busy strangling you