Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 18th July 2008, 15:28   #61
BHPian

I Have GT470 and play music from Cruzer mini 4.0GB, kingston 512MB and sony usb 1.0 GB. My drives are typically for more than an hour and I don;t drive without music on. I never had this problem of heating USB. You might want to check you HU. Did you buy from an authorized dealer and a genuine unit?
rkavthekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 16:23   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have seen these being sold in USB 2.0 cases in Nehru place delhi. I am sure there is such a market in your city too(is it Mumbai?). Lamington road or something.
yes lamington road it is.
I have a long pending trip to the lamington road to pick a few things. I will check out for these 1.8" hdd next time for sure. i just hope that i wont be freakishly costly.

160 GB 1.8" @ 3400 still seems a bit steep

what brand is it ??? i could only see toshiba links for most of my 1.8" searches.
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 11:16   #63
BHPian

It is natural for the metal sheath of the USB module to get hot if USB is continuously active. But this will get dissipated and won't cause any problem to the USB. Though USB drives these days are a common and non-sophisticated piece of electronics it is better to stick to reputed brands since they have better quality control.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 19:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

USB modules normally do not have a metal sheath - only a few relatively-expensive PMPs do. The shiny 'metallic' ones are metallized plastic, and that is why the heat dissipation is insufficient, and the module feels hot to touch!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 19:37   #65
Senior - BHPian

I know this is a bit off topic, but why do the CD's become hotter in some HU's ?

I just checked out a friend's blau HU, and ( apart from the extra skipping) , when the CD was ejected , it felt very warm. When I eject CD's off my HU, they feel normal. Any idea why the CD was hotter ?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 22:27   #66
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't happen in my Blau either. Insufficient heat take-away in that mounting position probably. The inside of the HU is always hotter than the cabin, but if heat is taken away the temp diff is not significant. You must have felt a couple of degrees more (40-45) instead of the usual 35-40. Doesn't get dangerous for the innards till 50-55, beyond which it can go into a tail-spin.
Old 24th July 2008, 22:33   #67
Senior - BHPian

chances are slim. the car was parked underground all day somewhere near my car ( and still was ) when we tried it out. we hadn't even turned on the engine. and it was also an indica, so i can claim all other factors to be equal
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 10:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

No, you are missing airflow (convection) across the HU - there may be a difference there. There is not much influence of engine and environment outside the car, only the heat produced by the HU components and heat taken away by convection cooling are significant factors.
Old 29th July 2008, 11:45   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
USB modules normally do not have a metal sheath - only a few relatively-expensive PMPs do. The shiny 'metallic' ones are metallized plastic, and that is why the heat dissipation is insufficient, and the module feels hot to touch!
I have a metal (not metallic plastic) one and couple of plastic ones. All of them get hot after a while, but yes, metal feels relatively less hot than plastic ones. Only yeasterday I was using metal one, and the sound started cracking. I held it in front of AC vant for a minute and it was working fine again.

I have refrained from using USB hard disk from connecting to HU for the fear of distroying it.
Bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 10:24   #70
Senior - BHPian

@Bouncer, try connecting the pendrive with a USB extension cable - most likely you will not face the heating problem. If you still do, you will be able to mount the pendrive in front of the AC grill, like the Amby car perfume!

Don't be afraid of using external HDDs with the HUs. The HDD is connected to USB over a SATA/IDE to USB converter in the housing. In case of a USB problem, you will need to only discard the housing, not the HDD. With an external HDD, you anyway have to use a USB cable.