Senior - BHPian

This guy is beginning to test my patience
one more day....
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 20:00   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Hey Sankar bro - any time. Are you guys back home from official trip? I think I can drive to your office today evening. BTW hoping that you will be there first hand to help me in DIY.
No problem with the DIY stuff.. will help anytime. I left early from the office today.

I will demo my audio setup to you... the only problem being it will only play a single sound clip.... that of a Norton Manx
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 19:37   #63
Senior - BHPian

Finall-lee i got the rear speakers installed
Bass is more than i expected. I suspect that a lot of it is boom though. Will need to listen in detail to tune it. Pix tomorrow

in the end : installation : 200
Rear parcel tray : 850
Wiring harness : 350

total 1.4k

the dieci 6x9's didnt come with any wires, so had to make do with some wire which came with some chinese speaker..
Old 15th May 2008, 22:49   #64
BHPian

Glad to know that . Hope a tuning will solve the booming bass issue. I am in the process of gathering accessories for DIY. Some are already in shelf and some are on the way in flight

Last edited by redfire : 15th May 2008 at 22:51.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 09:19   #65
Senior - BHPian

small update. Had trouble getting the front/back balance right. it was either from the front alone , or the back alone. Reversed the phase of both tweeters in the front. seems to be fixed now. Guess the mid basses were in phase already

changed the center frequency of the bass boost from 100 to 60 Hz. Hopefully that should reduce the boom and improve the bass.

Last edited by greenhorn : 16th May 2008 at 09:24.
Old 16th May 2008, 10:10   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
... changed the center frequency of the bass boost from 100 to 60 Hz. Hopefully that should reduce the boom and improve the bass.
How exactly will that work?

Conventionally, "boom"iness is an inherent property of the driver / mounting arrangement, not signal property at HU. "Boom" represents residual resonance or ringing, which gives rise to the expression "tight bass" if boominess is absent.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 18:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

well, I could choose the center from 60/80/100/200 Hz. The installer chose to set 100 as it gave the max sound. On the other hand , the drivers have a lower cutoff of 50 and 75 respectively.
Since the boom was loudest at 100, i guessed it was resonance, and shifted it to 60 where it could prop up the falling LF response instead of contributing to the boominess

The pics
Name:  image6.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  39.5 KB
The HU

Name:  image5.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  36.3 KB
The tweeters final resting place- dad didnt want to see any wires jutting out- they do fine there

Name:  image3.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  112.8 KB
The 6x9 Coax from above

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  78.1 KB
The 6x9 coax from below. They dint come with a wiring kit, so had to improvise

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  54.5 KB
The rear parcel tray and the whole setup. I'd forgotten that the DLG had a demister at the back, and had to call them up again to remember to cut a groove for that

So Finally
HU + speakers = 18k
Install = 1.4k
Total = 19.4k. Am absolutely happy with it except for the fact that the low end is missing at low volumes. Since the HU has only a sub out , i suppose phase 2 would be damping + an SQ sub.

PS : I must be the first person to successfully survive the temptations of Team Bhp ICE
I started with 25k , went up to 30k, and settled for <20k

Last edited by greenhorn : 16th May 2008 at 18:31.
Old 16th May 2008, 20:45   #68
Senior - BHPian

GreenHorn, I suggest you reduce the bass boost to zero. You may like the "flat" settings. Excessive Bass Boost will only tax your HU's amp and the speaker drivers.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 20:50   #69
Senior - BHPian

Thanks gunbir! ( Hey welcome back!cheers hmm I'll see tomorrow. the bass boost was set when i was using the front comps alone. I'll try with the HU's tone defeat. now that the rears are in place, things should have improved on the LF side
Old 16th May 2008, 21:14   #70
BHPian

Hey green, good going. Glad to know that you got what you wanted. When can we meet? Would like to hear your setup.
Old 22nd May 2008, 21:30   #71
Senior - BHPian

I tried the flat setting.too flat. I need *some* low end. on the other hand , all the rears can give is boom :(

damn

Time to start saving for a sub....
Old 25th May 2008, 00:07   #72
BHPian

In todays TVm meet got chance to listen Green's ICE. I must say the quality of Alpine is superior. The hertz components reproduces the sound what Alpine suplies, well too. As he pointed out, what is needed is a sub and some daming. So for me it is time to start saving for a real SQ HU . Blau 4050 is only a bacha.
Old 25th May 2008, 00:15   #73
BHPian

Coming to the original topic of the thread, I am yet to see a good ice installer in TVM. It is been a yr of me in TVM yet to see somebody do a quality work, forget ICE getting bubble free film installation in TVM is next to impossible. IF anybody has seen a bubble free film installtion tell me.
sameer_dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 20:25   #74
BHPian

Default help needed

i have got a HU of JVC.. i am planning to instal a amp,12 or 14"sub and speakers for my coming swift!! planning to do the installations in car palace or motor plaza!! while reading through the posts here, decided not to do anything in TVM! planning to go to Emperor.
my doubts are:
1. will the system installation(is with me now) and buying sub,amp & speakers and fixing them will be completed in 1 day @ emperor?? cos i have got only 1 day for fixing all this & coming back to tvm!
2. what combination of amp,sub & speakers would go with JVC
3. how much does it cost in emperor,fixing all these!!
waiting for ur replies
joe angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:05   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe angelo View Post
1. will the system installation(is with me now) and buying sub,amp & speakers and fixing them will be completed in 1 day @ emperor?? cos i have got only 1 day for fixing all this & coming back to tvm!
2. what combination of amp,sub & speakers would go with JVC
3. how much does it cost in emperor,fixing all these!!
waiting for ur replies
Hi Jo,
Yes the installation can be done very well in one day. Better you inform them prior to your trip. You can enquire about their product range also so that you can search the components/equipments in net and finalise your setup before you go. Start by 6 in themorning and you can reach Emperor by 10. Most probably the installation can be done by 2-3 PM (4 at max) and you can drive back. PM our Cochin members for their number.

Last edited by redfire : 2nd June 2008 at 15:08.