Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 14th May 2008, 17:09   #1
BHPian

Default About to ICE (DVD) i10 - Some Doubts!

I am setting up ICE in my i10 (due to come this Friday) with the following.

Requirement: DVD movies in Car with crystal clear clarity. Both front and rear passengers should enjoy. 5.1 System is the
final Stage.

Budget: Rs. 55,500 (Definitely not a rupee more than this) for Stage 1

Stage 1

1. JVC AVX-800 (Has Monitor for Front seat)
2. Necvox 7 inch Head Rest Monitors for Rear Seat
3. Illusion Electra Components (Front and Rear) not sure of the series name but costs Rs. 6500 each

Cost: 27,500 + 15,000 + 13,000 = Rs. 55,500

Stage 2 (Budget: TBD later)

4. Amps for the Components (Front & Rear)
5. Scoche Wiring

Stage 3 (Budget: TBD later)

6. Sub woofer with Mono block Amp
7. 5.1 Cabling with the 5th Speaker.

Questions:

a. Is this Staging phases right?

b. Will the JVC HU power the 2 Components? Stage 2 might start only after 2 months. So till then can I do without an Amp? If
I have to put the amp first then the Head Rest monitors have to wait till next stage.

c. Installer said to go for 2 Components 'coz adding Sub later will nullify the rear Co-axial speakers and will unncessarily
bring down the experience.

Please note: Car will be driven by my Dad with 3 little devils (in the form of my Nephews, Daughters and Nieces), and hence this setup. My Dad can very well differentiate great sound.

Installer: Anwar, Auto Fusion.

Please help, I have time till 18th May.
mhafeez_13666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 17:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

I don't think putting components in the back will be fun. I think you can miss them if possible.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 17:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't think comps without amp will sound any greater either.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 19:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you planning to aceive a Surround system you cannot install the rear speakers in the doorpad, it has to be mounted on a parcel tray.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 20:07   #5
BHPian

Am noting down all your comments. (Thankx a bunch) So far, the Confusion level has crossed 6 on a scale of 10.

So far, the story is.

1. Amps suggested for Components
2. Rear Speakers to be Co-axial and be mounted on Parcel tray
Old 15th May 2008, 05:55   #6
BHPian

Surround sound cannot be achieved by putting components on door panel. Just think if you install a surround system at your home how do you place the speakers?

Do you put Right speaker right next to you and left speaker on far left?

The answer is no. You arrange speakers in a way that you are equally away from all the speakers. So I guess same rule applies here. The best place to put speakers is in the Kick panels Extreme right & left of the car.

I would advice you to get Amplifier instead of those Screens at rear. Because then you'll know what kind of sound you are getting and you'll be able to do the required changes by the time all Stages install finishes( In case you are not satisfied). Screens wont ask for much tuning as it is. Cheers.

Robin.

Last edited by somebodystopme : 15th May 2008 at 05:56.
somebodystopme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 06:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

if he puts the midbass in the door, and the tweeter in the C pillar, that should do right? timing and everything be damned , if he doesnt want a tray install
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 12:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if he puts the midbass in the door, and the tweeter in the C pillar, that should do right? timing and everything be damned , if he doesnt want a tray install
Actually, your suggestion will work better if he uses 3-way components at the back: mid-bass in door, mid and tweeter on C-pillar. Since this is a proper Surround setup, the directionality will be taken care of by the mid and the tweeter. Of course, mounting on the C-pillar in a hatch would not be an easy job.

If one doesn't want to mess around with a parcel shelf and boot space, a better arrangement would be oval coaxes in the rear hatch - just the way the surround arrangement should be - rears facing front.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 13:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Actually, your suggestion will work better if he uses 3-way components at the back: mid-bass in door, mid and tweeter on C-pillar. Since this is a proper Surround setup, the directionality will be taken care of by the mid and the tweeter. Of course, mounting on the C-pillar in a hatch would not be an easy job.

If one doesn't want to mess around with a parcel shelf and boot space, a better arrangement would be oval coaxes in the rear hatch - just the way the surround arrangement should be - rears facing front.
The distance between the midbass in the door and the tweeter in the c-pillar does not work nice. The distance is quite large. I have tried it but the results were bad.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 16:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

A perfect surround system is very difficult to acheive in most cars, especially in a small car like the i10, there will always be some distance issues between the speakers and the listener and even height of the person will make a difference. Time alignment is a nice thing which comes handy in such systems, but I don't think the AVX800 is equipped to do so.

Anyhow, this does not mean that a car audio 5.1 surround does not sound good, it sounds pretty neat on the AVX800 as it is, but perfection is something not easy to acheiuve in this cabin space.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 16:33   #11
BHPian

Ok Gurus. Here are the design/decision changes so far.

a) No components on the rear door but Oval Coaxials in the parcel tray.
b) Getting rid of rear Screens for now to buy the Amplifier.

Now on the Equipment.

1. Looks like you are ok with the JVC HU
2. Front Illusion's I guess you are ok.
3. Rear - I guess it will be Illusion right?
4. For Amp, JBL CS 30.4 will do right?

I think that would be it, if you are confirm

Also, I went to another shop in Bangalore today (PITT shop) and he was suggesting Kicker Comps and Rear. He is ready to give for 20K Kicker KSeries.

Please suggest, Illusion is good enough for me?
Old 15th May 2008, 17:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

You should also look at other speaker options too, just to make sure you select what you are comfortable with. For example, Infinity Reference, Blaupunkt THc/THx, JBL GTO, etc.

The configuration you have described sounds OK, except for the amplifier. The system should be able to take care of 6 channels of amplification for anyone to be able to tune it properly. Not sure if there is anything called CS 30.4 in the JBL range, this would mean 30W per channel, 4 channels.

Kicker at 20K is way too costly, and not VFM. Illusions (Electra) would come to ~10K, Infinity's ~13K, Blau TH? ~10K, JBL GTO ~10K, so you compare!

You haven't accounted for the front center channel.
Old 15th May 2008, 17:54   #13
BHPian

Hello Deralte, I am going in for the centre speaker later. Right now, Stage 1 is JVC HU, Front Comps, Rear Coax and Amp.

When you say Infinity is 13k are you referring to both Comp and Rear together? Which Series is it. Where
can I buy them? Sadly wherever I went, they said Demo's were not possible (unless they had the car there..).
So I am not able to hear them.

JVC AVX 800 - Rs. 27,500. Balance I have is Rs. 28,000.

Somehow I am attracted to Infinity and Illusion (without even hearing). Please give me a combination
of these with Amp and Wiring for Rs. 28,000.

I see in all ICE threads, newbies keep asking such questions. I really don't know how much patience
you guru's have. But.....

Inifinity Comp & Rear (? Series ) + JBL AMP (? Model) + (?) Wiring + Installation <= Rs. 28,000

Please fill the ?'s.

Last edited by mhafeez_13666 : 15th May 2008 at 18:06.
Old 15th May 2008, 19:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafeez_13666 View Post
... When you say Infinity is 13k are you referring to both Comp and Rear together? Which Series is it.
Infinity Reference series. Yes, both the components and the ovals together. May be slightly higher with b&w.
Quote:
Where can I buy them? Sadly wherever I went, they said Demo's were not possible (unless they had the car there..).
* For Infinity and JBL, Sound Factor on Lavelle Road, the JBL brand shop
* For Blaupunkt, Mandovi Motors, Wilson Garden (behind the BTS depot) or Kanakapura Road
They should be able to give demo - try karo ji.
* For Illusion, PM @bass&trouble - he should be able to arrange a demo somewhere
Quote:
Please give me a combination
of these with Amp and Wiring for Rs. 28,000.
Leave aside, say, 16K for good speakers, you now have 12K for amp and wiring. You need a 4-channel for front and rear, and another 2 for driving the sub (ask @bass&trouble for the trick to drive the center channel also from the same)
* Decent amps from JBL (A604+A602), Blupunkt (GTA4 Special Mark II + GTA2) or Alpine (4ch + 2ch) should cost 9K+chillar
* Power wiring can be Finolex, L&T or Havell - couple of 100
* Buy a Scosche or Monster or GZ wiring kit
Thoda tight hota, but adjust karna - hopefully speakers will cost a couple of thou less! And don't forget that the installer will not do a good job for fukkat!
Quote:
I really don't know how much patience you guru's have. But.....
Try it yourself - keeps the mind young!
Old 15th May 2008, 22:25   #15
BHPian

Thankx a lot DerAlte Sir, Tomorrow the Car is getting delivered. Once I get hold of her, I will finish these demos during Sat/Sun and let you know on Monday the final list !!!

Am Excited !