Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 30th May 2008, 13:26   #1
BHPian

Default Help in choosing a new speaker.

Hi Gurus,

I am currently running Pioneer TS-A6952R 6"x9" in ma car.

I have this new deal on Audiobahn speakers.

Please tell me how good are the Audiobahn AS96Q 6"x9" when upgrading from Pioneer TS-A6952R 6"x9".

Is it worth the upgrade and the price??
Its been offered for Rs 2850 for a brand new set.

Or should i go in for JBL GTO937??

Your advice is important for making my decision

shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 15:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

JBL 937s are good for replacement for the existing pioneer,you can even audition Blau and GZ they are also good too.Please specify which car are you running 6x9s weather its on the Plank or Box..cheers

Ramie
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 15:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
JBL 937s are good for replacement for the existing pioneer,you can even audition Blau and GZ they are also good too.Please specify which car are you running 6x9s weather its on the Plank or Box..cheers

Ramie
I am running it in an esteem on a plank. I am powering it with a Pioneer 4 channel amp running in 2 channel mode.

Yet the output is not that good.

I was having this amp to power sony 400 watts speakers and 1000watt pio sub in 4 channel mode in my previous car (santro) using a CarPC.

But had to sell the car with the speakers in it. presently not using the sub in esteem till the car pc is upgraded and fitted back in the car.

Thats a different project all together.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
I am running it in an esteem on a plank. I am powering it with a Pioneer 4 channel amp running in 2 channel mode.

Yet the output is not that good. ...
For a moment I read it as "I am running an esteem on a plank" and I thought *why?*!

So you have mounted it on the parcel shelf in the Esteem, which is about 5' away from your ears. Not much to be expected when you are in the driver's seat.

* What speakers do you have in the front?

* What exactly do you mean by "output is not good"? Bass too less? Treble too less?

* By "4 channel amp running in 2 channel mode" I think you mean you are using 2 channels, and 2 channels are free. Right?

* What settings have you set on the tone controls on your HU? You haven't mentioned which HU either
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 16:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
For a moment I read it as "I am running an esteem on a plank" and I thought *why?*!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
So you have mounted it on the parcel shelf in the Esteem, which is about 5' away from your ears. Not much to be expected when you are in the driver's seat.

* What speakers do you have in the front?

* What exactly do you mean by "output is not good"? Bass too less? Treble too less?

* By "4 channel amp running in 2 channel mode" I think you mean you are using 2 channels, and 2 channels are free. Right?

* What settings have you set on the tone controls on your HU? You haven't mentioned which HU either
I have 2 tweeters in the front thats of no use.
The bass doesnt seem to be good enough for normal speaker setup. I understand that i cant expect anything even near to a sub. but still....

My pioneer amp gives me the option to switch from 4ch to 2ch using a switch. By doing this the total output of the amp is split across 4 or 2 ch.

The HU is Pio DEH-P6950IB and These are the settings:

Audio Loudness - MID
Audio Subwoofer - OFF
HP filter - 120
Audio Bass Boost - +3
Audio SLA - +2
Fader - Fronts/Rear - 0
Left/Right - 0
Low - +4
Mids - +2
Highs - +2

Note from mod: Excessive smileys removed

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th May 2008 at 19:38.
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 30th May 2008, 17:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have this new deal on Audiobahn speakers.
Please tell me how good are the Audiobahn AS96Q 6"x9" when upgrading from Pioneer TS-A6952R 6"x9".
You have a new deal on very old speakers. That speaker was discontinued atleast 3 years ago.

Even I haven't heard the 96Qs, so cannot comment. But the JBL 937 would definitely be a good bet.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 11:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have 2 tweeters in the front thats of no use.
The bass doesnt seem to be good enough for normal speaker setup. I understand that i cant expect anything even near to a sub. but still....
Now this is quite confusing. Do you mean to say you have ONLY tweeters in the front, and no mid-bass? If so, your setup is quite lop-sided. Unless the speakers are fakes, they should produce music that is tolerable, not hopeless. Steel yourself - you need to invest a bit more than you thought so far!

I am not sure of the mounting in front in an Esteem, whether it is in the doors (usually 5.25" or 6.5") or in the dash (usually 4"). Please check. Here is one installation where 6.5" speakers are mounted in the doors.

First buy a good set of components (retire the old tweeters) like JBL GTO607, Blaupunkt ODc/THc, Illusion Electra etc. - should cost you 5-6K with b&w - and see how the rear Pio complement them. If the old ovals still don't contribute, replace them with JBL 937. Audition the speakers before buying - JBL at Sound Factor or Sprocket, Blau at Mandovi Motors Wilson Garden or Kanakapura Road, Illusion PM @blueraven or @s0uljah.
Quote:
The HU is Pio DEH-P6950IB and These are the settings:
Audio Loudness - MID
Audio Subwoofer - OFF
HP filter - 120
Audio Bass Boost - +3
Audio SLA - +2
Fader - Fronts/Rear - 0
Left/Right - 0
Low - +4
Mids - +2
Highs - +2
Good HU, wrongly set - but that is not your fault, you were trying to extract the best.

Just try setting all the above non-0 settings to 0, and HP Filter to 60 or 80 (this is the high pass filter; at 120 your ovals are not giving any decent bass), increase the volume and check at what point the current system gives decent bass and highs. Remember this volume setting, since you should compare after changing at what volume the same is achieved in the new system. This will give you an idea what your current system is inherently capable of.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 12:38   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
audition Blau and GZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
But the JBL 937 would definitely be a good bet.
It is ALWAYS a good idea to audition atleast 3 brands.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd June 2008 at 10:33. Reason: removing deleted post
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 11:15   #9
BHPian

What is the size of speakers that goes in the stock location of speakers??

Can we get same sized components or can a component be housed with some mods??