Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 1st June 2008, 23:39   #1
BHPian

Default ICE for Palio MultiJet SDX

Hi,
I am asking my friend to get ICE components for a palio multijet sdx that I am planning to buy next week.
Kindly suggest the best possible combination in the range of 20-25 k.
As per general perception, I was thinking of an Alpine headunit and 4 jbl speakers. I am a novice and dont know much about these. Also ad don whether I might have to have an amp as well as any special cables.
I generally listen to soft music.
Cheers,
Praful.
prafulasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Where have you asked your friend to get the ICE components from?

1. An Alpine HU will cost you upwards of 12K. There are good HUs from Pioneer, Blaupunkt, JVC, Kenwood etc. also - depending on the features (USB, iPod support, Bluetooth, multiple pre-amp outputs, Aux-in etc.) the price will vary from 5K (bare-bones) to 22K (almost everything you can think of)
2. You need to check out the size of speakers and mounting location in this car. If you want to put 6x9 ovals in the rear (better bass than 6.5"), then you have to get an MDF plank to mount them on. In front, consider 6.5" components (mid-bass + tweeters). 6-8K for front, 4-5K for rear.
3. Apart from JBL, there are Blaupunkt, Illusion etc. Audition the speakers (there are quite a few good ICE installations in the cars of Pune TBHPians - PM and meet them to get a feel) before making up your mind. Remember, you are the best judge
4. You will need to damp the doors (front at least) and the hatch if you like it loud or if you are putting in a sub-woofer. This will need 5K at least
5. An amp will set you back by 6K at least. A decent sub in a sealed box will need 6-7K

You can put in an amp and a sub later, if you want. These cannot make a bad system better, so get the basics right first.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Alpine HU's start from 8k. I got my 9870 with B/W for 8k

I'd recommend you try out stuff like Illusion/Hertz/Bull also. for soft music, a pair of good front components + 6x9's at the rear is quite adequate. You should be able to get a good SQ setup within 20k. IF you feel you need more , you can add things like an amp and a sub. I feel that the alpine HU is more powerful ( and has better resolution) than a lot of the other HU's available , but sadly lack features. mine has only one pre out , and has no aux/usb input. But then again, I'm very happy with the SQ. Only upgrade in the pipeline is an SQ sub for trance. for the soft music, the existing setup is more than enough

maybe you can get a better alpine HU/maybe some damping

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd June 2008 at 11:23.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Where have you asked your friend to get the ICE components from?
From the US actually. I just need to give them the model nos... Thanks for the advice. It'd help a lot... Any particular models HUs and speakers that stand out?
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

@prafulasher, it is better to buy the HU in India to avoid the FM frequency increment problem that HUs meant for the US market may have. Only some of the HU models have a selector for US or EU application. EU setting suits India. Look at the discussions in the Products section for models that stand out.

Speakers can be bought in US, if someone is willing to devote baggage space for that. In any case, YOU should audition the brands & models in India first, and specify the list of probable models to be bought in the US. The models that stand out are JBL GTO, Infinity Reference, Blaupunkt TH series, Illusion Electra, Image Dynamics CS series, etc.

Oy Haree Seengh, have you listened to Bull? There are mixed reports regarding their response.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes, i know sirjee. And I nearly bought them actually
Waiting for some more people to chip in with their reviews!, but I cant imagine anything made of silk sounding too bad. Too veiled maybe , but hopefully no chik-chik !

Last edited by greenhorn : 2nd June 2008 at 12:18.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 19:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
but I cant imagine anything made of silk sounding too bad.
No such thing. If it was so simple, everyone would make their tweeters with fabric domes.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 08:35   #8
BHPian

Thanks... It does make sense to get the HU in India. I will be running around getting demos of some combinations and will get the speakers from the states if I get a good deal...
Old 21st June 2008, 08:15   #9
BHPian

I have booked my palio multijet sdx and have been taking auditions of a few combination of speakers... (loved the polks and jbl till date...yet to audition illusion/hertz).

Can you tell me the dimensions of the speakers that'll go into the stock locations in the palio stile (front door, rear door and tweeters).

I am also thinking of getting an amp (jbl possibly). How much of a difference does it make to a setup without a sub-woofer?

Also, please tell me a few locations near goregaon (mumbai) where i can audition a few more brands especially illusion and hertz.

Regards,
Praful.
Old 21st June 2008, 13:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prafulasher View Post
I have booked my palio multijet sdx and have been taking auditions of a few combination of speakers... (loved the polks and jbl till date...yet to audition illusion/hertz).

Can you tell me the dimensions of the speakers that'll go into the stock locations in the palio stile (front door, rear door and tweeters).

I am also thinking of getting an amp (jbl possibly). How much of a difference does it make to a setup without a sub-woofer?

Also, please tell me a few locations near goregaon (mumbai) where i can audition a few more brands especially illusion and hertz.

Regards,
Praful.
You can fit JBL GT5 650C components at front and JBL GT5 502 in the back if you want to fit all the speakers in stock locations. Thats what I have done in My Plaio Stile 1.6.

You can check Blaupunkt 2008 series for HU. They are good.
PankajP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 19:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prafulasher
6.5" can be installed in the front with a little improvisation. 5.25" in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prafulasher
I dont think anyone has Hertz stock in Bombay. Just today I heard from a dealer that the distributor is himself to yet get it.

Illusion Audio:
Vineet Motors - Goregaon (W)
Ginger Car Accessories - Kandivali (W)
Bass Tunnel - Kandivali (E)

Above guys have it on demo boards. There are many more options including demo vehicles closer to Bombay.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 21:25   #12
BHPian

Thanks! That was exactly what I needed! Can you give me the contact numbers for these? I couldn't find much info online. Also, maybe the exact addresses...
Old 22nd June 2008, 02:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@prafulasher, it is better to buy the HU in India to avoid the FM frequency increment problem that HUs meant for the US market may have.
The Alpine models in the US have a frequency increment which suites India. The selector switch is not required. A friend of mine bought an Alpine CDA 9886 in the US yesterday for me.

The problem is present in the Blau, Pio and Sony models in the US.
XetaGLGRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 03:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, One more entrant to the "Deep blue Sea" of ICE

Quote:
The sub-woofer does make a difference, believe me. However I would suggest buy the HU, Fronts Components, Rear 6X9 and if possible a good Amp first. The Sub can be added on at any time.

JBL 75.4 I learnt is out of production for a pretty long time. The equivalent new model is JBL A1004. So please check before buying a 75.4. I had initial plans for 75.4, but now refrained from that idea and am going for Ground Zero TA 4.120MK2.

For the front components, I would suggest go for the Illusion Electra with eyes closed. The speakers are fabulous. I recently got them for my Indica. The difference is awesome.
XetaGLGRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 09:39   #15
BHPian

Thanks! That indeed was helpful...

Here is what my combination looks like...

Alpine CDA 9884 HU
Polk MOMO MMC 525 5 1/4" (Front)
Polk MOMO MMC 690 - 6x9 (Rear)
JBL GTO 1004 4 ch Amp

I am yet to audition Illusion and Alpine speakers so my choice of speakers might change. I'd like your comments on the current choice.

I need to finalize my ICE in a couple of days.